Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

80 km/h for new drivers

Options
  • 27-07-2006 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Just found this:

The Oireachtas Enterprise Committee is recommending that a speed limit of 80km/h be imposed on all motorists driving on a provisional licence. - http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/07/27/story269594.html

I am driving from Cavan to Dublin and back daily ... if the road was further congested by "provisionals" doing a lawful 80 km/h, I predict road rage at a scale that would make the Battle of the Boyne look like a peaceful picnic!

I also like the "black boxes" and "alcohol detectors" idea. Nanny state anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

doesnt make sence?? thats such a dangerous thing to implement imo. there will be so much risky overtaking happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is there something similar in Northern Ireland?
    Drivers who pass their test get R plates for on year after they pass and have to stick to a certain limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Not everyone drives AT the speed limit as it is - how often do you overtake people on your daily run?

I think it's a good idea.

If you don't have a car powerful enough to overtake safely you won't be flying along anyway or at least you can't do it safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

In the north your restricted to 45MPH for the first year after you pass your test.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

What is the point? Most accidents happen in 80km/h limits already.

It would be nice to see the actual report, but it doesn't seem to be online at all yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

who cares - do you think it will be enforced?

Do L drivers have qualified drivers with them all the time? No
    Do L drivers always display L plates? No
    Do L drivers driver on Motorways where they aren't allowed? Yes

Just usual tripe of trying to look like they are doing something.

The root of our driving problem is poor driver education and poor rule enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eachtrannach

comanche wrote:
    The root of our driving problem is poor driver education and poor rule enforcement.

Couldn't agree more ... that's why suggestions such as these are driving me nuts ...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

comanche wrote:
    who cares - do you think it will be enforced?

Do L drivers have qualified drivers with them all the time? No
    Do L drivers always display L plates? No
    Do L drivers driver on Motorways where they aren't allowed? Yes

Just usual tripe of trying to look like they are doing something.

exactly, agree 100%

its all hype, there's an election coming remember. The gov has to seem like they are doing something.

i am a learner driver and i drive the limit every day to work on the limerick bypass and i am overtaken constantly.

If i now have to drive 80kph even trucks will be forced to overtake me.

Wont work anyway

EDIT: I'm sure this will be a huge success just like penalty points was. Why o why don't they just put more cops on the roads to enforce current law

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Is that not incredibly stupid? I'm on a provisional licence now and lets say I can only drive at 80, what happens when I go on a motorwy, I've driven at 100 and know when to brake from 100, so skip 100 and suddenly go up to 120 skipping the 100. People won't be used to going at a speed relatively close so reaction times which are needed to be quick won't be. And dangerous overtaking and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Squirrel wrote:
    Is that not incredibly stupid? I'm on a provisional licence now and lets say I can only drive at 80, what happens when I go on a motorwy, I've driven at 100 and know when to brake from 100, so skip 100 and suddenly go up to 120 skipping the 100. People won't be used to going at a speed relatively close so reaction times which are needed to be quick won't be. And dangerous overtaking and the like

You're not allowed to drive on motorways on a provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Squirrel wrote:
    I'm on a provisional licence now and lets say I can only drive at 80, what happens when I go on a motorwy

It's illegal for you to be on a motorway on a provisional anyway so.....

<EDIT> I knew someone would get there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Anan1 wrote:
    You're not allowed to drive on motorways on a provisional.

I think he is talking about when he passes his test...

now its going from 100kph ->120kph on the day you pass your test... but under this system its 80kph ->120 kph in the one day...

jhegarty wrote:
    I think he is talking about when he passes his test...

now its going from 100kph ->120kph on the day you pass your test... but under this system its 80kph ->120 kph in the one day...

It still makes no sense. How did he deal with going from 0 to 80km/h the day he got his provisional license?;)

Anan1 wrote:
    It still makes no sense. How did he deal with going from 0 to 80km/h the day he got his provisional license?;)

Through the proper training system everyone in this country wants !!

Anan1 wrote:

Because I actually got lessons and built up slowly unlike some people my age. And I work in a garage so was used to driving cars.

Edit: What jhegarty said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Squirrel wrote:
    Eh? I think the best idea is that for the first year put people on a R plate, restrict people to the speed limit, if they get caught for up to 3 minor offences, they go back to square one on there R plate, get caught a fourth time or 1 major offence, resit the test. Also, I agree with Labours line on doing 12 lessons before the test.Now before anyone starts whinging about how they need the car for work, and lessons will cost x money, and you dont have the time, this is being done in your own interest, and it is a small investment to insure that you have a lifetime of driving safely, and that you dont plant your new fiesta into a tree on some backroad because you dont know how to deal with oversteer.

Squirrel wrote:
    Because I actually got lessons and built up slowly unlike some people my age. And I work in a garage so was used to driving cars.

Edit: What jhegarty said

So you could build up slowly from 80 to 120, no?

Is it just me or don't most deaths seem to happen on 80kph roads (at 2am) anyway ?

We need a proper training and wait time for the test... then they need to enfoce current laws...

Anan1 wrote:
    So you could build up slowly from 80 to 120, no?

I know, but how many will. Some people would build up slowly with an instructor, but once they have a full licence what's to stop them doing 150% the speed they've ever done before?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The_Magoo wrote:
    Eh? I think the best idea is that for the first year put people on a R plate, restrict people to the speed limit, if they get caught for up to 3 minor offences, they go back to square one on there R plate, get caught a fourth time or 1 major offence, resit the test. Also, I agree with Labours line on doing 12 lessons before the test.Now before anyone starts whinging about how they need the car for work, and lessons will cost x money, and you dont have the time, this is being done in your own interest, and it is a small investment to insure that you have a lifetime of driving safely, and that you dont plant your new fiesta into a tree on some backroad because you dont know how to deal with oversteer.

wow the test teaches you how to come out of oversteer, i cant wait :D

i love the magic powers you get when your license changes colour. Imagine in all the lessons i have got they still haven't covered the power slide techniques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Interesting reading the NI DVLA site you can get done for speeding if you go over 45mph if you car has R plates, regardless of if you are an R driver or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I fail to see the point. L drivers will remove their plates before travelling, and the Gardai will be none the wiser.

Do you really think at speed checks that Gardai will bother checking each car to see if they are both over 80km/h AND have L-plates up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Vegeta wrote:
    wow the test teaches you how to come out of oversteer, i cant wait :D

i love the magic powers you get when your license changes colour. Imagine in all the lessons i have got they still haven't covered the power slide techniques.
    Sorry, should state that lessons should include all driving conditions, including a skid pan, night, motorway and emergency stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

seamus wrote:
    I fail to see the point. L drivers will remove their plates before travelling, and the Gardai will be none the wiser.

Yes but if they get serious about they could check licences at checkpoints etc. Failure to display your 'R' (or whatever plate) could lead to having to resit the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

If provisional drivers are made to drive at 80km/h all the time they're going to have to make up time elsewhere... not slowly down for corners, roundabouts, and yield signs and such things.

Also can you imagine being provisional licescned on a motorbike and having to travel below the speed limit. You wouldn't last a week before getting run off the road.

saobh_ie wrote:
    If provisional drivers are made to drive at 80km/h all the time they're going to have to make up time elsewhere... not slowly down for corners, roundabouts, and yield signs and such things.

With respect, that is a quite ridiculous argument.

Anan1 wrote:
    With respect, that is a quite ridiculous argument.

It is, but the frightening part is that it's true

Squirrel wrote:
    It is, but the frightening part is that it's true

Actually, it's not. They won't have to do anything, if they do it will be by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Wow, another law they will barely be able to enforce - not like the whole provisional license thing is dodgy enough as it is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

wingnut wrote:
    Yes but if they get serious about they could check licences at checkpoints etc. Failure to display your 'R' (or whatever plate) could lead to having to resit the test.
    If they got serious, then adding new legislation wouldn't be required :)

Advertisement