Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp my veggies.

• 27-07-2006 10:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Ive had a radical overhaul of diet and my fridge is bursting at the seams with veg.
    At the moment Ive got carrots, cauliflower, brocolli, broadbeans, lettuce, tomatoes, scallions, mushrooms, onions, baby spuds and spinach.

Im on top of it all except the cauliflower. I need some good recipies for this as my old way was with a load of cheesy sauce and millions of calories.

Has anyone got any recipies they have tried themselves that make it a little bit more exciting to eat but keeps the calories and carbs down? Any help appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

just a simple stir-fry,

you should try the veggie forum,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=572

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Ive done all the stirfrying and I did go into that forum - some good suggestions in there. But everything tends to be samey after a while. Maybe Im not thinking theos through enough. Google is my friend!
    Thanks for thte link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Vegetable curry? Vegetable pakora's? Tempura?

Dellgirl2 wrote:
    Ive done all the stirfrying and I did go into that forum - some good suggestions in there. But everything tends to be samey after a while. Maybe Im not thinking theos through enough. Google is my friend!
    Thanks for thte link.
    how about a vegetable crumble?

with thyme in the crumble mix,or any herb you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Cauliflower mash as a substitute for potato mash.

Steam cauliflower, whizz it up in blender with skim milk, pepper salt and some dijon mustard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you google using vegetables it usually comes up with recipes. Try googling for califlower and carrots and you get some nice ones. Search term: "cauliflower carrots" (without the quotes).

how about a vegetable crumble?

with thyme in the crumble mix,or any herb you like

What would I use inthe topping? Breadcrumbs, a little olive oil to take the dryness out, paprika and thyme sounds good no?
    Or a curry crumble topping. :D

Cauliflower mash is good. I had thought of that. Im getting a bad boy multi function robo coup next week.

Thanks luckat - will do.

Dellgirl2 wrote:
    What would I use inthe topping? Breadcrumbs, a little olive oil to take the dryness out, paprika and thyme sounds good no?
    Or a curry crumble topping. :D

Cauliflower mash is good. I had thought of that. Im getting a bad boy multi function robo coup next week.

Thanks luckat - will do.
    mix butter and flour together about equal quanties till you get a crumble mix,add your herbs and you`re laughing

If you google using vegetables it usually comes up with recipes. Try googling for califlower and carrots and you get some nice ones. Search term: "cauliflower carrots

Ive done this and its a small variety of recipies that repeat themselves.

Vegetable curry? Vegetable pakora's? Tempura?

Veggie curry - yummers and made frequently for a good solid dinner.

Pakoras and tempur are deep fried afaik and Im losing weight and so will not do this. I must be very strict with myself. Thanks anyway.

Has anyone any radical new ideas for cauliflower? Im not glowing with inspiration today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

All the recipes that I know are based around adding fat and flavour to what is otherwise a pretty boring vegetable.
    They all contain things you dont want really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DrP

I was looking up some fennel recipes the other day and came across http://www.recipes.eu.com/ All in all there are over 9000 recipes in the vegetable section, 122 of which are from cauliflower. I've had a quick look and some of them look rather tasty - might have to give them a go myself (and this from someone who doesn't liked cooked cauliflower and will usually only eat it raw). That said there are also some there that are just a bit weird though - example below (well you did say you'd like something radical)

P.

Japanese Pickled Cauliflower Coca-Cola
    1 medium Cauliflower, separated into
    Flowerets, washed, and
    Drained
    1 Green bell pepper, washed,
    Cored, seeded, and cut into
    2-in strips
    Water, boiling
    1/2 cup Celery, very thinly sliced
    3/4 cup COCA-COLA
    6 tbsp Wine vinegar OR
    White vinegar
    1/4 cup Sugar
    1 1/2 tsp Salt

In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower flowerets and bell pepper
    strips. Cover with boiling water. Let stand for 2 minutes; drain
    thoroughly. Add the celery.

In a small pan, heat the Coca-Cola, wine/white vinegar, sugar, and
    salt. Pour over vegetables. Toss lightly with a fork, and pack into
    1-quart glass jars. Push down lightly so the liquid covers the
    vegetables. Cover and chill overnight. This keeps in the
    refrigerator for several days. Makes about 1 quart. Recipe:
    "International Cooking with Coca-Cola", a give-away
    pamphlet from The Coca-Cola Company, 1981

How bizzare! Wonderful. Im going to try this out at the weekend and report back on Monday. Im looking at the release date here and I see 1981 - this is when chefs started going a bit mad after the whole nouvelle cuisine era isint it?
    I might try some gravy jelly cakes too!
    Thanks - you definately delivered the goods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

It's super yum just steamed with some toasted mustard seeds, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper sprinkled over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

DrP wrote:
    Japanese Pickled Cauliflower Coca-Cola

Can be made with Diet Coke too I hope!

Advertisement