Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Christianity forum rules

Options
  • 27-07-2006 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Can I ask why there is a rule in the Islam forum which states that nobody should attack the Islam religion, yet there is not one for the Christianity section? Are you saying it is ok to attack the Christians but not the Islamics?

I for one would like to see this rule applied to the Christianity forum, under the same context. Any arguments about Christianity and its validity would come under the discussions of the "Atheism/Agnosticism" section would it not. Seeing as how the majority of arguments are pro-atheist and the arguing of the Christian beliefs are agnostic in nature.

I personally wanted to use the Christianity section to discuss the teachings of Christianity with fellow christians to gain a better understanding of it, but all I have gotten so far is brow beatings off atheists pointing me to atheist documents. If I wanted this I would of posted in the Atheist section.

My point, if the discrediting of other religions is already not allowed for Islam, the same should be true across the board for all religious sections.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Each Forum has its own charter and is decided on by the mod(s) of that forum. If you have a problem with the charter in the Christianity Forum i suggest you pm a mod rather than starting 2 threads on feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

As far as I am aware attacking any other religon in any of the religous forums can get you cat-banned (after a warning). The full Islam charter clearly lays out that you cannot insult other religons.

The link you post to is not the full Islam forum charter but nearly everyone who has been banned has been due to what you linked to. So it was trying to make clear if you wanted to address your issues you have other places to do so. We would often get people claiming freedom of speech (over the danish cartoons) as an excuse to post crap in the forum when it would of been better suited in politics/humanities.

I suggest you use the Report Post option on the posts in question and Talliesin will look into it for you.

I would recommend discussing with the moderators of the forum as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

sorry for posting the thread twice, it must of been either a glitch in my computer or the boards as they are both posted at the same time.

I will contact one of the moderators of the Christianity section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

L31mr0d wrote:
    Can I ask why there is a rule in the Islam forum which states that nobody should attack the Islam religion, yet there is not one for the Christianity section? Are you saying it is ok to attack the Christians but not the Islamics?

I for one would like to see this rule applied to the Christianity forum, under the same context. Any arguments about Christianity and its validity would come under the discussions of the "Atheism/Agnosticism" section would it not. Seeing as how the majority of arguments are pro-atheist and the arguing of the Christian beliefs are agnostic in nature.

I personally wanted to use the Christianity section to discuss the teachings of Christianity with fellow christians to gain a better understanding of it, but all I have gotten so far is brow beatings off atheists pointing me to atheist documents. If I wanted this I would of posted in the Atheist section.

My point, if the discrediting of other religions is already not allowed for Islam, the same should be true across the board for all religious sections.

oh come on, not giving creationism any credence is the not exclusive to athiest, plenty of christians don't believe in that crap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Anyone attacking any religion in any of the religious forums can runs the risk of being banned.

Differing with another religion is however allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Isn't prosletysing banned? Would this be sufficient or does it only cover "Join my religion, its better" as opposed to "Your religion is not as good as my non-religion".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i read the charter for the Agnosticism/ Atheism forum earlier and it does mention that prosletysing is frowned upon.
    i'm sure the same rules apply to the other forums too.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The rules are the same for each religious forum. The mods enforce the law so talk to them. However, questioning the teaching of I.D. in place or along side genetics in schools is not really a question of religion as a question of science.

If the Christians insist on that theory being taught in science class then it should be exposed to rigourous scientific analysis. If they want to teach it in Religion class, I have no problem with that.

To be clear, I have already said that questioning a religion politely is one thing, and going into the Islam/Christian forums shouting "you are all a bunch of terrorists/kiddie-fiddlers" will get you cat-banned. Repeatedly questioning a topic beligerently will get you banned to.

I dont think you have a problem to report here, perhaps a chat with the Mod will help but I think if you refuse to answer politely worded criticism/questioning you send out a bad signal (that said I dont expect you to have to defend your religion at all turns).

DeV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

julep wrote:
    i read the charter for the Agnosticism/ Atheism forum earlier and it does mention that prosletysing is frowned upon.
    i'm sure the same rules apply to the other forums too.
    Actually it's specifically not frowned upon there. :)
    It never happens anyway.

L31mr0d, what you call "attacking" others call "discussing".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Actually it's specifically not frowned upon there. :)
    It never happens anyway.
    Which is a pity

In fact there should be threads entitled 'You disbelievers (and fence sitters) should convert to X because ...' where believers could argue their case.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

You cannot argue someone into a faith.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

L31mr0d wrote:

I personally wanted to use the Christianity section to discuss the teachings of Christianity with fellow christians to gain a better understanding of it
    Yes, and the Christianity forum is not just for you. Anybody can discuss Chistianity in there, they do not have to be Chistians. There is a difference between discussing and attacking,

InFront wrote:
    You cannot argue someone into a faith.

Unless you start making fun of a particular god and happen to be struck by lightning. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hobbes wrote:
    Unless you start making fun of a particular god and happen to be struck by lightning. Twice.
    that happened me after i took the piss out of heather locklears performance in melrose place.

Actually it's specifically not frowned upon there.
    It never happens anyway.

i must have read it wrong.

julep wrote:
    that happened me after i took the piss out of heather locklears performance in melrose place.

Heather be thy name.
    ww3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

watching it too, huh Hobbes? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

People just take Christianity for granted. It's everywhere so it's ok to mock it in some people's opinions.

Other religions aren't as prominant in this country so, they are not taken for granted are "attacked".

Just my opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

There is a difference between discussing and attacking,
    Theres a difference alright, but there is also a grey area in between. What one person may consider a genuine question another may well take as an attack. Take as an example the current Madgelene senerio made popular by the Da Vinci Code (please don't let this turn into another one of those threads!) some christians think it is right to "question" what the church is putting forward others think the whole thing is a massive attack on the church.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm, this is just poeples opinion then. People can get ffended by almost anything.
    Personally I err on teh side of right to offend over the right to not be offended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I do think that the definition of 'attack' is very very losely interpreted or as a poster here said already what some see as 'discussion' other call 'attack'.
    I got banned from Islam for pointing out the Islam is one of a few religions which claim that they are the one true religion.
    Thats not an attack but a statement of fact.
    Ah well:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

For a Ghost Buster you do a fine job of raising the dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

For a Ghost Buster you do a fine job of raising the dead.

I spread the love:)

and is there a rule against it or is it a sin:confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I spread the love:)

and is there a rule against it or is it a sin:confused::)

Forums change, moderators bring different aspects to a forum and , when they change the weighting of those aspects change also. Dragging up a thread on the rules of a forum from 2006 (seriously!) to continue the discussion would have little or no relevance to the forum as it stands today. Your post yesterday to this thread was made as if you were just continuing a conversation... think about it, you have a discussion with a friend 5 years ago about whether or not there is a risk of the construction boom causing trouble in Ireland. Tonight you meet that same person in the pub and continue the conversation as if nothing in the last 5 years has happened. Wouldnt really make sense would it?

well, boards moves at a slower pace than real life but not *that* slow....

so yes, zombie threads are not only a boards.ie faux pas but are 99.9% of the time quite pointless.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thread closed as a thread nearly five years old is no longer relevant to how this site is now run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement