Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD bannings

Options
  • 27-07-2006 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

20 people banned in one day??
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

panda100 wrote:
    20 people banned in one day??

and...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Truckle was totally right.

Everyone who was banned (including myself...past mod...for shame!) was off-topic. We are repeatedly told on that forum to stay on topic because the level of spam is absolutely ridiculous and it makes the forum crap to read.

Nobody has paid any attention to the warnings and banning is the only way the point will be taken in this case.
    Some people are constantly at it and others not so much but in fairness, there'd be cries of unfairness had he only banned the perpetual rule-breakers and not everyone who slipped up this time.

It's only a week.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Which thread was this performance on anyway? Or did he delete it?

I went looking...
    Banned for one week for completely ignoring a moderators instruction.

Stepharunie is banned indefinitely at the discretion of hullaballoo.

There's a message behind this: it's do what the moderator tells you to do. Get back on topic means exactly that. PM me when your ban expires please

Seems quite clear to me.
    It has been suggested to Hulla by some of us Mods that he has been too lenient in his Modding, resulting in some people thinking they can treat him like sh!t and throwing personal abuse in his direction.
    Anyone spoke to me in that manner or constantly ignored my warnings, would not be getting back into a forum I mod.
    I suggest you lot take your bannings and when let back in, make an attempt to act like grown ups :/

Beruthiel wrote:
    I went looking...

Seems quite clear to me.
    I has been suggested to Hulla by some of us Mods that he has been too lenient in his Modding, resulting in some people thinking they can treat him like sh!t and throwing personal abuse in his direction.
    Anyone spoke to me in that manner would not be getting back into a forum I mod.

Yup, when I modded last year I was far too lenient and as a result nobody paid a blind bit of notice when told to get back on-topic or to cut out the spam. Yet as soon as you ban someone you're "over-moderating". Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I accept the argument that a lot of posters know each other and there's a fair bit of banter which is why I wasn't too keen on handing out bans when I believed the issue could be resolved via a PM but tbh certain posters take the piss. The UCD forum is getting busy and at this time of year there are a lot of new posters and the spammy in-jokes between people make it impossible to read.

When I was finishing up my degree myself and Truckle discussed who we should propose to the admins as my replacement and hulla was picked as he is firm but very fair and hopefully himself and Truckle can tidy the forum up a bit.

The thread was the "Sex in the disabled toilets" one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Yep I can see why he done it and tis a good idea to get a bit of order in the place. Is that the most simultaneous bannings there has ever been?Have I made it into Boards history?

Why post a feedback thread if you agree with it?

I accept the argument that a lot of posters know each other and there's a fair bit of banter which is why I wasn't too keen on handing out bans when I believed the issue could be resolved via a PM but tbh certain posters take the piss.

I don't think Boards is here for that reason, there are plenty of other places you can go online and in real life if you wish to take the piss.
    They are all old enough in that forum to know this.

panda100 wrote:
    Yep I can see why he done it and tis a good idea to get a bit of order in the place. Is that the most simultaneous bannings there has ever been?Have I made it into Boards history?

If you agree with the bannings, what is your feedback issue?

Beruthiel wrote:
    I don't think Boards is here for that reason, there are plenty of other places you can go online and in real life if you wish to take the piss.
    They are all old enough in that forum to know this.

Yup I totally agree and said as much on the forum. We even had a sticky about it for a while. But not a blind bit of notice is paid.

Sure I had one user PM me to basically tell me that the reguar users should be allowed have the craic and that by telling them to get back on-topic I was ruining their fun. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

The thread was the "Sex in the disabled toilets" one.

how can you off-topic in thread like that, jeez lighten up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Actually I agree with the bannings there was a serious number of spamming going on.

Anyway I don't think it will make a difference, it'll just start up back again in September.

how can you off-topic in thread like that, jeez lighten up :rolleyes:

That thread was just the last one in a long line of off-topic chatting that goes on.

The mods had do something to get their point across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Chakar wrote:
    Actually I agree with the bannings there was a serious number of spamming going on.

Anyway I don't think it will make a difference, it'll just start up back again in September.

You are one of the most spammy people on that board, and the only reason you arent banned because i said the next time I banned you it would be permanent. An you're moving along a very, very thin line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

You are one of the most spammy people on that board, and the only reason you arent banned because i said the next time I banned you it would be permanent. An you're moving along a very, very thin line.

I believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

bloody oiks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

I was the one who started this thread, because I heard people having sex in a certain UCD bathroom on two occasions. Weird or what. I wasnt contacted to say this was unsuitable at any time if it was i would deffo have apologized.

But can I see the post where I was off topic. Im not trying to be smart with you, but I dont use boards Im just an occasional poster and tbh i fail to remember what I said that got me banned. :o

20 people?

PM Truckle.

The thread itself wasn't the problem. It was the off-topic crap that the thread descended into.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The level of spam on the UCD forum reached ridiculous levels a while ago and it turned a lot of people off, including myself.

I regarded the anti-moan thread as the worst one and I note that one has since been dealt with.

The main culprits know who they are.

From the sounds of it, is was a reasonable ban (Panda doesn't even put forth an argument why it shouldn't have been done).

There never used to be problems like this in the past. The problem is, people on the UCD forum know each other in real life so they decide to talk about the great time they had in Barcode, Aunty Mavis' dog who injured his paw etc.

Most of us don't care about this as it doesn't belong on what is a public message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

How is aunt mavis's mutt btw Mr. Nice Guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Alright folks how about a Private Forum for those of use who "Spam" the crap out of the place where they can keep their RL annoyances to themselves?

To be honest most threads ,in any forum , descend into OT crap after 8 pages. What do you expect?

I think some of you are taking this way too seriously and really don't like the way there is a "you know who you are" thing starting. Permban if its that annoying and turn it back to the old days. (Peacheh what about the other posters who posted OT after Hulla's warning but were not banned? Is this an attack on the usual suspects?)

Beruthial wrote:
    I suggest you lot take your bannings and when let back in, make an attempt to act like grown ups :/
    Comments like this are not constructive and the high and mighty atmosphere sometimes makes me sick.

Grimes

Id also like to apologize to Hulla for not heeding his warnings, as a matter of fact the thread moved so fast I didn't get a chance to see them . Great mod and greatest Respekt!

Grimes wrote:
    Alright folks how about a Private Forum for those of use who "Spam" the crap out of the place where they can keep their RL annoyances to themselves?

The spam was never just on the Rant/Bitch thread and you know that.
    Grimes wrote:
    To be honest most threads ,in any forum , descend into OT crap after 8 pages. What do you expect?

The bannings for this thread were very much a last straw type thing I'd imagine and Truckle can hardly just ban those who do it constantly and not ban the others who were off-topic this time. There are plenty of other threads that have gone off-topic almost immediately over the past while.
    Grimes wrote:
    I think some of you are taking this way too seriously and really don't like the way seriously

Warning has been given to all of us time and time again on the forum. Truckle was dead right in what he did. Would you rather everyone was left to their own devices there to post whatever crap pops into their head?
    Grimes wrote:
    Comments like this are not constructive and the high and mighty atmosphere sometimes makes me sick.

I think Beruthiel knows a bit more about these things than you do Grimes and I think that comment was pretty constructive myself. As she said, we're all old enough to know better.

The bans were deserved, it's a kick up the hole the forum needs. It's only a week ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

The bans were deserved, it's a kick up the hole the forum needs. It's only a week ffs.
    Agreed. I'm happy to sit out my weeks ban. *sound of cherry popping*

Grimes wrote:

High and mighty atmosphere?
    Are you suggesting that it's ok for adults to act like they are five year olds who don't know how to behave on a public forum?
    Adults who don't understand the Moderators instructions and just ignore him or throw personal abuse his way is fine by you?
    Having this pointed out is apparently high and mighty :rolleyes:
    As this is a college forum, I would have thought the age of the adverage poster to be between 18 and 25 no? An age where you are supposed to be able to follow instructions.
    Reading some of the threads in there would lead you to believe differently.

I consider my comment to be very constructive, when the posters are let back in they could attempt to act like adults.
    What part of that comment makes you sick exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I just think you could tone down on the attitude a bit there . Im not arguing the ban and im not saying that you are wrong.

Grimes wrote:
    I just think you could tone down on the attitude a bit there.

I'm not following you at all.
    What attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

but..but its going to be so boring in there now, we'll have no one to talk to :( Ah well, we can always chat to each other on our Thursday night drinking sessions in the porterhouse - Truckle I sincerely hope you're coming tonight! (I'll protect ya :D )

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

panda100 wrote:
    Actually the record for most bannings in one day is most likely held by Lemming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Didnt get a ban wohoo!

whats the story some of the banned have been put back.

So was the decision reversed? Gwan let them back its boring *high and mighty*... I'll make sure they are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

InFront wrote:
    I'll make sure they are good.

I'm always good... I only posted once on that thread, which was admittedly off topic but it was funny enough (imo) to be worth it.

Advertisement