Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD bannings

Options
124»

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I PM people the whole time and let them know when they're close to the line.

The problem isn't really with particular users, to my mind, it's more to do with particular threads.

I don't see spam etc as a huge problem in the future, and it hasn't been particularly bad in the past while either.

UCD is not a tricky forum to mod, despite the reputation it seems to have. The Legal Discussion forum is much much more difficult to deal with.

I'd like to get rid of this idea that either of the moderators in UCD are ban-happy or draconian. I have plenty of patience for people who are being funny whilst going off topic and people who usually have something decent to say.

The only issue that arises is that sometimes threads descend into chattering and strings of in-jokes that no one who isn't part of the beers group would have a clue about. It's not that we don't want people to have a laugh, we're trying to stimulate some manner of outside interest in the forum.

Thousands of new people start in UCD every year, and there's no reason why they all shouldn't be able to come into the UCD forum here and ask/answer questions and get involved in general.

Perhaps we haven't made it clear enough over the past while that we're actually just trying to grow the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I PM people the whole time and let them know when they're close to the line.
    While I agree with everything else you said, this comment is patently false. I can't speak for anyone else, but I never got warned about spam or, more relevantly, about spam which resulted in this banning. I know and understand why I got the ban, but I never actually got any warning (or, more accurately, I never read any warning, probably due to ppl spamming immediately around the warning in the thread:rolleyes: ) immediately before it.

I agree absolutely with much of what you say tho, in particular;
    I'd like to get rid of this idea that either of the moderators in UCD are ban-happy or draconian. I have plenty of patience for people who are being funny whilst going off topic and people who usually have something decent to say.

The only issue that arises is that sometimes threads descend into chattering and strings of in-jokes that no one who isn't part of the beers group would have a clue about. It's not that we don't want people to have a laugh, we're trying to stimulate some manner of outside interest in the forum.

Thousands of new people start in UCD every year, and there's no reason why they all shouldn't be able to come into the UCD forum here and ask/answer questions and get involved in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Well said seb...

I agree with Hulla and this ban. Its just I dont think people spam new users requests for information and usually get a brief and correct answer. Thus not preventing anyone form joining in and introducing themselves to the fourm. Mostly its not the Spam that drives people away from boards but I wont elaborate.

I think we would all like to see threads that have flared off topic and convern things like disabled sex just locked after 5 pages. I for one was waiting for that thread to be locked for a while.

.....at the end of the day people. Its only the internet. Take it to Classical

Grimes
    Supermod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Because you set up a forum precisly to mercilessly mock people without there knowledge and that forum is probably still doing that this day but sure knowbody being mocked has anyway of knowing because you made it for private for your amusement.

There are so many inaccuracies with that statement, that I don't know where to begin, and given that the whole shooting match is OT, as well as OTT to begin with, I probably shouldn't.

27794153.blame.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

panda100 wrote:
    I sorta aked this last year so will ask it again.I was wondering if it would be possible if the mods could send a pm to those who spam and ask them not to do it.Everyone keeps on going about these 10 or so people who spam and I can honestly only think of two so Id really like to know if I am one of them or not. I think it would be good before the start of trem time if the mods would send a pm to these 10 or so people warning them
    The mods are already busy enough to be worrying about pming everyone they ban, that said it would be handy but its not going to happen. Read the rules and follow them and you won't be banned.
    Sorry if that seems harsh; I've been banned served my time and been unbanned. If you are old enough to go to college (it's the UCD forum) you should be old enough to follow the rules.

Having just looked at the forum to see the thread, can I make a suggestion which may help clear up the forum a little bit. Every September you'll get the a lot of 1st years asking alot of questions, which got asked last year and the year before. Would it not be a good idea for a sticky, which useful information or answers to questions that have been asked in previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

SebtheBum wrote:
    While I agree with everything else you said, this comment is patently false.
    Just to clarify this again. I didn't ban any of you, so I didn't send any PMs. The thread in question was completely off the wall, and I did ask for it to go back on topic.

None of the people banned are continuously spammy posters either. So it wouldn't have made much sense for me to PM them telling them to cut out the spam when they don't generally spam. It was really just the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Just to clarify this again. I didn't ban any of you, so I didn't send any PMs. The thread in question was completely off the wall, and I did ask for it to go back on topic.

None of the people banned are continuously spammy posters either. So it wouldn't have made much sense for me to PM them telling them to cut out the spam when they don't generally spam. It was really just the thread!

Huh??? That's as clear as mud...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

why is this still in feedback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I would have thought that was obvious - its still feedback

Advertisement