Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator/Power Steering

Options
  • 27-07-2006 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Lads can a faulty Alternator in a car link to issues with the power steering as well??

VW POLO 1998 SDI. 1.9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I doubt it. The power steering would have to be driven off the alternator which it usually isn't. Plus since the engine will always be turning the belts, once running, even with an alternator problem, the belt for the power steering will still continue to turn. If the power steering is not working, I doubt it's because the alternator is faulty anyway.

Would a 98 Polo SDI have power steering? That's the non-turbo'd polo who's only option of power steering could be stronger arms. I dunno.

Why do you think there's a problem anyway with the power steering and/or alternator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

AlanD wrote:
    I doubt it. The power steering would have to be driven off the alternator which it usually isn't. Plus since the engine will always be turning the belts, once running, even with an alternator problem, the belt for the power steering will still continue to turn. If the power steering is not working, I doubt it's because the alternator is faulty anyway.

Would a 98 Polo SDI have power steering? That's the non-turbo'd polo who's only option of power steering could be stronger arms. I dunno.

Why do you think there's a problem anyway with the power steering and/or alternator?

Changed the alternator and since then the power steering has stopped. Yeah she has power steering allright. Wondering might we have being supplied with the incorrect Alternator. It just seemd unusual that this happened at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

It could be coincidence.

Find the power steering pump and trace back the belt that runs it. The PS pump can generally be found at the back of the engine bay close enough to the timing belt side of the car.

If it's not here, the other options could be that the power steering pump is using the same belt as the alternator which is possible. Check the pullies and see what the alternator belt is attached to. If, when the alternator belt was refitted, the belt wasn't put back on right, the PS pump attached to that same belt could also stop.

Finding the PS pump is key. But as a precaution, check the tension of the alt belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The power steering and alternator may be driven off the same belt. Is it possible the mechanic got the wrong replacement belt, i.e. a belt for a polo without power steering and just fitted it over the drive crank pulley and alternator pulley with nothing on the power steering pulley. Alternatively, if they're not driven by the same belt, he may have had to take off the power steering belt but for whatever reason, just never replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

alias no.9 wrote:
    The power steering and alternator may be driven off the same belt. Is it possible the mechanic got the wrong replacement belt, i.e. a belt for a polo without power steering and just fitted it over the drive crank pulley and alternator pulley with nothing on the power steering pulley. Alternatively, if they're not driven by the same belt, he may have had to take off the power steering belt but for whatever reason, just never replaced it.

thanks for that info lads. Ill let you know what happened or what was the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The two are often driven off the same belt but I can't belive a grease monkey would'nt spot that!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It might be worth checking the level of power steering fluid in the system. It might be that the fluid level is low and the power steering is simply not as effective. AFAIK, a 1998 Polo has alternator, power steering pump and air con compressor (if fitted) driven off the same belt. I also think that power steering was standard on a 1998 Polo SDI. If you do need to top up use VW fluid (NOT ATF - it will leak through the seals).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

alias no.9 wrote:

This is the only connection between the two items I see also. If you have a slipping belt, which is common enough, you'd hear it squeeling, unless it was extremely loose.
    So just look in and see if you have any pullies with no belts on them and check the tension on any belts there may be. They should be tight, not floppy.

And check the level of fluid and/or for leaks in teh PS system.

Advertisement