Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GT When and where!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    I'd also be interested in the maintenance costs in relation to what kind of life expectancy can be got from the turbo and supercharger.

The clutch on the supercharger looks like an obvious weakness.

Still, VW have to get this right or they will be ridiculed for years to come.

I think it is in the Jetta already. Surely the lower VRT will be enough for the conservative flat capped types to go for the 1.4.

I wonder if the recent talk of linking car tax to emissions is prompted by engines such as this?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

even with the lower VRT, A Jetta fitted with this engine would be more expensive than a Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't know how reliable http://www.carzone.ie is on this but they have the Golf 1.4 TFSi Sportline 5 door starting at just over €26k.

Not exactly cheap then.

the Sportline is 140bhp? never heard of this model before TBH!

An overpricewd VW, whatever next?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That seems to be the confusion. Could that be the 2.0 TDi or a 140bhp version of the 1.4 TSi petrol?

• Advertisement

It'll hardly be a diesel at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

pburns wrote:
    I wouldn't mind a 1.6 with decent torque tuned to about 150 bhp in a Mondeo/Mazda 6 sized car (with all the tax/econonomy benefits).

Its not all that easy to squeeze 150bhp out of a 1.6, I know levins and Type-Rs manage near 200bhp but any 1.6 tuned that high usually depends on low torque and very high revs which is no good in a bigger heavier car.

As for fuel econemy, a 150bhp 2litre and a 150bhp 1.6 will probably do the same mpg.

People in Ireland are scabby, difference between a 1.6 and 2.0 on tax is about €200/year...not exactly gonna break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

People in Ireland are scabby, difference between a 1.6 and 2.0 on tax is about €200/year...not exactly gonna break the bank.[/QUOTE]

The tax difference is only €148 a year ,yet everyone dismisses 2L petrol cars as being mad expensive to run .Difference in petrol consumption isn't even that great in most family saloons which struggle with 1.6's .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Very true on the petrol. My previous car was a 1.6 megane, current car is a 2.0 206 and both give about the same mpg 30-35. If anything I think the 206 might be a bit easier on petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Love the boost gauge on the dash. I'd prefer a GTi myself though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd rather pay the extra 4k for the GTI and get the extra 30bhp and the nicer kit.

steve06 wrote:
    I'd rather pay the extra 4k for the GTI and get the extra 30bhp and the nicer kit.

The GT will be the winner second hand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I like the GT, I'd say the turbo whistle will be great, got to remember that this is VW's first attempt at this, I presume smaller yet even more powerful engines will arrive soon, as I read in autocar diesel R&D will cease in VW this year, and all resources are to be transferred into petrol R&D.

But I think i'll wait for this to appear on other VAG cars, in particular the Seat leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I like the GT, I'd say the turbo whistle will be great, got to remember that this is VW's first attempt at this, I presume smaller yet even more powerful engines will arrive soon, as I read in autocar diesel R&D will cease in VW this year, and all resources are to be transferred into petrol R&D.

But I think i'll wait for this to appear on other VAG cars, in particular the Seat leon.

end diesel RnD?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

JohnBoy wrote:
    end diesel RnD?????

They'll probably just licence common rail technology rather than persisting with developing pumpe deuse. Both offer the power advantages but common rail is light years ahead for refinement.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

according to the times yesterday the 140BHP version of this will be €25,100 and the 170BHP version €30,275. Both petrol.
    this seems very good value to me, especially the 140BHP version, anyone not think so?
    Although according to carzone the 1.4 with 140BHP verison of the engine will be in a sportline with
    no GT badging..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Thats very good. Gonna ring a few dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Thats very good. Gonna ring a few dealers.
    Let us know how yuo get on.

I can't understand how the 170 bhp version is a massive 5k more.
    I'll bet the 140 can be chipped to 170 easily enough,the basic engine is the same ,maybee the turbo is bigger?
    so is the extra 5k just for the higher spec alloys trim etc?
    the 140 looks like the wiser buy to me.....

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cyborg wrote:
    Let us know how yuo get on.

I can't understand how the 170 bhp version is a massive 5k more.
    I'll bet the 140 can be chipped to 170 easily enough,the basic engine is the same ,maybee the turbo is bigger?
    so is the extra 5k just for the higher spec alloys trim etc?

it's a lot extra but the cheaper one just looks like a normal golf, 5k extra for the GT badging, nose, all the other bits and pieces and lowered suspension is a lot but would hold it's value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cyborg wrote:

I agree. €5k for some spoilers and a remap is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

daveym wrote:
    it's a lot extra but the cheaper one just looks like a normal golf, 5k extra for the GT badging, nose, all the other bits and pieces and lowered suspension is a lot but would hold it's value?

Insurance would be much better, a 1.4 not called a GT. The insurance companies will load the 170 one because of the small GT badge on it, aswell as the extra 30bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

mloc123 wrote:
    Very true on the petrol. My previous car was a 1.6 megane, current car is a 2.0 206 and both give about the same mpg 30-35. If anything I think the 206 might be a bit easier on petrol.

I got 650km out of a full tank last week in the GTI !!
    2006 2L, 36mpg by my calculations !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

mrbungle wrote:
    I got 650km out of a full tank last week in the GTI !!
    2006 2L, 36mpg by my calculations !!

...yeah and your licence will be gone before your 5th full tank the way that puppy shifts.:D :D

BTW the GT seems to be available now. Most of the dealers have added the GT to the Golf model list on their sites. Can't understand though, you have to pay for any paint option you choose.:confused::confused: Skip the paint boss the bare aluminium look will do me.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Mainly outside Dublin driving but this weekend I got 590 kms out of my GTI. That's pretty ok!!

I saw a GT in Kilbeggan on Saturday. English reg, navy. No other real redeeming features !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

any irish prices for the 1.4 gt yet.and what dealer has one in stock.

drdre wrote:

Prices :

http://www.volkswagen.ie/configurator/index.cfm?fuseaction=vw.variant&modelID=281&bodyID=4275

drdre wrote:

Shenanigans !!!!

The R32 is being quoted on vw.ie, 47k-49k.

http://www.volkswagen.ie/configurator/index.cfm?fuseaction=vw.variant&modelID=281&bodyID=4281

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

mrbungle wrote:
    Shenanigans !!!!

Bertie and his helper monkeys just don't want us to have fun anymore.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Speaking of fun Mr.Bungle I'll gladly look after your car while you're away in the coming weeks.I'll even wash at the weekends and promise to return it cigarette burn free.:D :D

Advertisement