Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Cistren

Options
  • 27-07-2006 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I found a leak recently from my cistren of the toilet and at first thought it was the water inlet but later discovered it to be a 8 inch hairline crack inside the tank itself.As a temporary measure,is there some sort of waterproof cement or other i can get as the crack inside would be the one i would treat because cant see the back of the tank and dont want to take cistren off as i would create more damage.

Again its just a temporary solution in light of buying a new cistren/jacks.

Any companies names in the North Dublin area who do Cistrens would be helpful too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Snowbie:

Don't know about the waterproof cement, but if you're buying a new cistern or jax - these guys are close enough to you - http://www.davies.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Told you that you were putting on too much weight!!!

Cracking the jacks is very serious, lucky you didn't come down through the floor as well. Then you'd have 2 downstairs loos!!!!!:D

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

If you empty the cistern and put a bead of silicone salong the crack then smooth off using your finger along the crack then this will keep it water tight until you decide to replace it.

Give it a couple of hours to set before filling the cistern again.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Told you that you were putting on too much weight!!!

Cracking the jacks is very serious, lucky you didn't come down through the floor as well. Then you'd have 2 downstairs loos!!!!!:D

Hope this helps!

LOL:D Funny onion lately arent we.
    Must be the manure in the country air goin to the head.:p

Snowbie wrote:
    LOL:D Funny onion lately arent we.
    Must be the manure in the country air goin to the head.:p

Or an air-head spouting manure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Snowbie wrote:
    Hi all,
    I found a leak recently from my cistren of the toilet and at first thought it was the water inlet but later discovered it to be a 8 inch hairline crack inside the tank itself.As a temporary measure,is there some sort of waterproof cement or other i can get as the crack inside would be the one i would treat because cant see the back of the tank and dont want to take cistren off as i would create more damage.

Again its just a temporary solution in light of buying a new cistren/jacks.

Any companies names in the North Dublin area who do Cistrens would be helpful too.

Thanks.

well cement is water proof, why wouldn't it be? I don't know if it would stick to the side of a cistren though. silicone is your best bet. That said, you really should replace it asap, you don't want to go away and find your house flooded when you return

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Most of the cheaper silicone sealants require the surface to be dry and wont stick if their is any moisture.

Their are some expensive sealants that can be applied in wet conditions, which may be the best temporary option for this cracked cistern. Tec7 is an example.

The best solution would be to replace the cistern.

Carnivore wrote:
    well cement is water proof, why wouldn't it be? I don't know if it would stick to the side of a cistren though.
    I don't think Snowbie was referring to Portland cement - more the kind of "cement" that one would use when putting together an Airfix model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

ah polystreine (spelling?) cement. That wouldn't work, it for platics specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

them hairline cracks are normally there because the cistern is past it.
    If you try and stop the leak the pressure might create a crack somewhere else. The last thing you need is the jacks bursting when you're out and about.

I'd leave it leak rather than try to stop it ,you'll create more stress on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement