Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit salad

• 27-07-2006 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a tried and tested fruit salad recipe. The only fruits I really eat regularly are apple, orange, banana and grape, so I'm sure there are lots more out there that are tasty and work well together in a salad.

I'd be looking to make a batch of it at the weekend and then take a portion with me for lunch, so i'm looking to make about 5 healthy portions. I would also need some tips on storage (freeze?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

corblimey wrote:
    I'm looking for a tried and tested fruit salad recipe. The only fruits I really eat regularly are apple, orange, banana and grape, so I'm sure there are lots more out there that are tasty and work well together in a salad.

I'd be looking to make a batch of it at the weekend and then take a portion with me for lunch, so i'm looking to make about 5 healthy portions. I would also need some tips on storage (freeze?)
    i would only store fruit salad for a couple of days,it will go all soggy on you,try lots of mixed berries,(strawberries,raspberries,blueberries etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Personally, I wouldn't store fruit salad for too long either.

Mango can make a nice addition, as does pineapple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Well, what about buying fruit at the weekend and only using what I need per day? I really don't have time to do a shop during the week, so the weekend is really the only chance i get to buy fresh fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Try adding sliced kiwi's and segments of orange or grapefruit to your mix. Make a light syrup with any orange juice that you've collected while segmenting the orange, the juice of one orange, the juice and peeled zest of half a lemon plus 'some' sugar (depending on how sweet you like it). Warm the lot up in a saucepan, allow to cool and pour over the prepared fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Is there any way to stop mango going brown in a fruit salad? I tend to leave it out now and use mostly berries.

• Advertisement

Oobie wrote:
    Is there any way to stop mango going brown in a fruit salad? I tend to leave it out now and use mostly berries.
    Do you make a light syrup for it like I described above? I'd guess the acidity of the lemon juice might help there. It certainly prevents any apple or pear pieces from discolouring. P.S. a dash of Cointreau in the syrup is quite nice too, if you like that kind of thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Sounds really good. Will give it a try over the weekend.

Let us know how you get on. I know it works for apples and pears, but it'd be good to know if it works for mango too.

Actually I've just looked up the original recipe (I usually just wing it!), and they say, for 1kg of fruit,

300ml water
    2 oranges
    1 lemon
    75-100g sugar

Put the zest (do this with a zester or a potato peeler) of the orange and lemon into a pan with the water. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Add lemon and orange juice. Allow to cool slightly (can still be slightly warm) and strain over the fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A quality fruit salad doesn't need any sugar, it should be delicous and sweet as it is. Also I tend to make mine with apple juice rather than orange juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

eo980 wrote:
    A quality fruit salad doesn't need any sugar, it should be delicous and sweet as it is. Also I tend to make mine with apple juice rather than orange juice.
    You've obviously never had a fruit salad with home grown blackcurrants and gooseberries. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Shabadu wrote:
    You've obviously never had a fruit salad with home grown blackcurrants and gooseberries. :)

Not in Ireland no. I have had in poland with home grown strawberries and cherries. Ohhh it was quality.

Advertisement