Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo C30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

pburns wrote:
    It is just me or does this knock the 1-series/A3 for six??

I reckon Volvo may have another XC90-type hit on their hands...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/201951/volvos_allnew_baby_ready_to_deal.html

It reminds me of the 460 was it? Small Volvo pocket rocket type thing with the right engine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Squirrel wrote:
    It reminds me of the 460 was it? Small Volvo pocket rocket type thing with the right engine

Like the 180bhp D5 diesel! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

It looks well,just like a modern 480,but I'd say that I'd buy a Golf TSi or 2.0 TDi instead. The engine line up isnt great although i'd say that the 1.6 diesel would be the one to go for,the D5 will probably be overpriced.

SGKM wrote:
    It looks well,just like a modern 480,but I'd say that I'd buy a Golf TSi or 2.0 TDi instead. The engine line up isnt great although i'd say that the 1.6 diesel would be the one to go for,the D5 will probably be overpriced.

I hope they put the D5 into the Focus ST. It would be the best of all worlds then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Not a huge fan of that rear window, but overall looks the biz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Bucket seats in the rear... looks like someone is walking home!

P.S. the 1 series has to be gayest car I have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

rear window remindes me of the 480, nice tho, only 3 door car volvo has built since the 480 which died in 1994, hopefully it will be a better seller!

P.S wingnut you are right the 1 series screams of brokeback mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It's pretty closely inspired by the Volvo 1800ES of '72/'73, which had a similar rear hatch. The pretend Volvo Renault 480ES had the same influence of course, but this is the daddy of them both.

car_photo_206720_5.jpg

ES73_115.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not bad looking. The back immediately reminded me of the 480 ES, Volvo must have done that on purpose, although nobody in the target group will remember those. @ alastair: very few people alive will remember it's grandpa :)

Interesting to see how it will do in the Irish market. Base price of what, about €25k for the 99bhp 1.6? That would be €4k below a base 116i ES (CD, aircon, leccy windows) or a base 1.6 A3 (CD, NO aircon, leccy windows) but a whopping €3k more than a base 1.6 Golf (none of the above?)

If Volvo will throw in leather, CD, aircon and leccy windows as standard, they might have a decent chance

The remark that it is "the most important car the Swedish company has ever launched" is preposterous though :rolleyes:

unkel wrote:
    Interesting to see how it will do in the Irish market. Base price of what, about €25k for the 99bhp 1.6? That would be €4k below a base 116i ES (CD, aircon, leccy windows) or a base 1.6 A3 (CD, NO aircon, leccy windows) but a whopping €3k more than a base 1.6 Golf (none of the above?)

It surely shouldn't have to compete against the pretentious-quasi-premium marque that is VW? I'm only 23 and even I remember a time when the local mucksavage drove a golf 1.6D and doctor a Volvo 740 (the doc's wife had a 340 of course)!

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    It surely shouldn't have to compete against the pretentious-quasi-premium marque that is VW?

Quasi-premium marques? Nice terminology, but almost every manufacturer is guilty :)

Volvo C30 = Volvo S40 mark2 = Focus mark2 =Mazda 3 in the same league as Golf = Audi A3 = Seat Leon

It's the name of the game for the big automobile corpos these days. Even a car kinda named after the species a rat belongs to is supplied by Mercedes-Benz

The astonishing thing is that only some people, like dudes posting here, realise it. Most people haven't a fooking clue :eek:

An overwhelming victory for marketing. I don't like marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

unkel wrote:
    Not bad looking. The back immediately reminded me of the 480 ES, Volvo must have done that on purpose, although nobody in the target group will remember those. @ alastair: very few people alive will remember it's grandpa :)

The 480ES was intended to hark back to the 1800ES when it was being designed (it was part of the design brief), and the earlier concept versions of the C30 had much clearer relationship with the lines of the 1800ES (and looked all the better for it too, but then I'm biased since I own a 1800ES).
    http://www.goedopweg.com/goedopweg/images/volvo_c30.jpg

I'd opt for this over a focus/mazda/s40 if I had money and wanted a new car, so the cynical marketing/new clothes on the same old body are working for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So it's a 3 door S40. I'll stick my neck out and say I don't like it.

Back end is too fussy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I still think the fact that this can carry one less person than other cars will be a consideration for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

wingnut wrote:
    I still think the fact that this can carry one less person than other cars will be a consideration for some.

Yes, the fact that it's based on the S40 would suggest there must be enough room for a normal bench seat. However the designer-heads got their way on this one... It'll probably end up a bit of a girly car tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Back end will take some time to get used to, but, overall, I think it's a nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Well I like it anyway. To hell with D5, ram the old engine from the T5 into it imo! I'd drive it way before a lot of other similar spec (underpinnings) motors.

Anybody know what the story with the one outside the helix is? Says you can win it but I can't find any info on it.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I was a fan based on the pictures , reviews etc - but I have seen a few parked at the Volvo garage on the Naas Road and IMO they dont look as good in the flesh. It seems as if the rear is cut off too quickly / there isnt enough overhang beyond the rear axle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

The one outside the Helix is just an ad for HBDennis . Its not a real T5 , it just has the T5 bodykit , hence the plastic fake exhaust instead of metal on the back.

Seems its a sport model. Very nice looking do , interior looks very nices especially seats . Do still the crappy 1.6 100bhp engine is a joke , plus the min spec you would really need would the 1.8 Sport with the bodykit plus the larger wheels which comes in around 33500.

If I had that budget I would prefer a focus ST with the proper engine for that money and recaro seats . Again your paying for the badge. Do you will look like a boy racer in a ST.

Although that said the C30 T5 with the ST engine would be excellent , question is do you really wanna pay that much extra for a badge and abit of styling?

Think it is a great idea , going after a new target market , and will no doubt be a success , do pricing is defo more competitive in the uk than to ireland re spec and comparison pricing to a3 and 1 series.

Volvo usually price there cars used below the price point of audi so will be interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

They had two of these outside The G hotel in Galway and one in the lobby of the Radisson i quite liked the look of them in the flesh but cant seem them being a big seller. The 'premium' hatchback market already has the 1 series and A3 (maybe golf?) is there room for more?

• Advertisement

Well since this old post was dragged up anyway, Volvo seems to have got the pricing right. The base model is €26.5k and has a nice spec including 16" alloys, CD, leccy front windows, multibags, traction control, remote alarm / immobiliser

Not bad. If I'd be in the market for a base Golf or A3, I'd seriously consider this as an alternative. Anybody know how the C30 sales are going versus budget?

Advertisement