Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorists!!!

Options
  • 27-07-2006 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

i see we have a rant on cyclists, i cycle everyday here is what happens to me on a REGULAR basis.

1- Cars parked in cycle lanes, during the hours of 0700-1900. Can some motorist please justify this???

2-Being run off road by vans approaching from rear on corners, i have even damaged my bike on the kerb as a result of this.

3-Are indicators a optional courtesy when turning??

4- being overtaken by car in bus lane during the hours of 0700-1900, then the car stops in bus lane stopping my progress.

5- people opening doors without looking in the mirrors to check fo cyclists
    (this is insanly dangerous and ignorant and funnily enough 8/10 people that do it are female:rolleyes: .) for novice riders this will be scary as **** if it happens close and in heavy traffic.

6-parking on a speed bump on a busy road.Forces me onto middle of road.

7-parking on a bend.

8-when i need to make a right turn i HAVE to move from the left of road across to the middle,(funnily enough just like a car should) i indicate my intention in good time and do the manouver. WHY do motorists go fuppin nuts when i do this??would you prefer me to shoot across traffic with no warning??

I report every one of you parked in a cycle lane to the gards, i take a pic of the car on the phone with reg and all.

another non cycling gripe i have is illegal parking, i notice this is rampant on the northside of dublin.
    Why is it O.K to park on grass outside your hose??eventually it turns to a mudbath and a eyesore, and basically vandalism of public property.

if anybody is familliar with killester they will know what i am talking about now,
    the shopping centre, why is it ok to park on paths, drive on them?? its illegal, just because other cars are parked in the non marked spaces doesnt mean you have to!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

another one of these threads?
    jesus, was it a full moon recently or something.

why cant we all just get along?
    oh thats right, no one is in the wrong.
    everyone else is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭insane drummer

yea im a cyclist too, well, not for to long more i hope, but i do use my bike to get around alot, and i do see alot of that everyday, i just got used to it i supose, but still dosnt make it right! never really noticed it all before you pointed it out tbh. and that point u made about people opening the car doors with out looking, happins to me at least 3 times on my way through town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Do you pay road tax?... thought not, 2nd class citizen so. :D:D:p
    Carry on ranting...;)

Just remember, trucks are bigger than my car, and they will hurt me, so i give them a wide berth, cars will hurt you, so do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kona wrote:
    1- Cars parked in cycle lanes, during the hours of 0700-1900. Can some motorist please justify this???
    Continue to report them, as you do.
    2-Being run off road by vans approaching from rear on corners, i have even damaged my bike on the kerb as a result of this.
    Report them.
    3-Are indicators a optional courtesy when turning??
    Pot-kettle here tbh. What I find is that cyclists either indicate for eveything or for nothing. More often the latter.
    4- being overtaken by car in bus lane during the hours of 0700-1900, then the car stops in bus lane stopping my progress.
    Well this depends. Some bus lanes only apply for a couple of hours in the morning. 0700-1900 is not the normal rule. As for stopping, well they are permitted to stop at the side of the road, provided they are parked within the rules of the road. Being a slower vehicle, you just have to put up with people who don't have the patience to follow you for 30m and then pull in.
    6-parking on a speed bump on a busy road.Forces me onto middle of road.
    Again, if they can legally park, there's no problem. Being a cyclist doesn't give you a divine right to not have to go over speed bumps.
    parking on a bend.
    Illegal. Report it.

Most incidents where people are being impatient or breaking the law can be answered with one phrase: Some people are just assholes. Some people are just assholes, whether they're on the road in a car, bike, motorbike, truck, bus, drive-on lawnmower or oversized tonka truck. You deal with it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Zoot

Basically, people fit into groups and these groups are annoyed by all the other groups. In fact people are annoyed by fellow group members! It works like this:

pedestrian < cyclist < motorcyclist < motorist < van drivers < truck drivers

and that's not even mentioning taxi drivers

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭insane drummer

Kersh wrote:

Just remember, trucks are bigger than my car, and they will hurt me, so i give them a wide berth, cars will hurt you, so do the same.

totaly agree with you on this one, im not ranting, just commenting and saying that ive seen some of the points made to, i dont see it as being a major poblem if you look out around you, like you should, cyclists i mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Kersh wrote:

Wise advice tbh!

I show most respect to cyclists/motorcyclists on the roads, afterall, if they come off their machine they are gonna be a lot more hurt than you. I hope truck drivers think the same about me :eek:
    But I agree with seamus, some drivers are just asshol3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Kersh wrote:
    Do you pay road tax?... thought not, 2nd class citizen so. :D:D:p
    Carry on ranting...;)

i will be paying road tax very very soon!!although what for is still up for debate. unless i go on the path which as it happens is illegal;) i cant give you a wider berth,and believe me id love to!! you have to remember have you ever heard a case where the motorist was proved to be right and cyclist wrong, in law cyclist have the benefit of doubt.

In fairness I have seen some idiot cyclists too, going from the road to the path to avoid lights etc. to suit themselves.
    But I can well believe you about motorists, a lot are uneducated idiots :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Kersh wrote:
    In fairness I have seen some idiot cyclists too, going from the road to the path to avoid lights etc. to suit themselves.
    But I can well believe you about motorists, a lot are uneducated idiots :rolleyes:

yes and believe me id love to put my foot up those cyclists asses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Instead of ranting about "Motorists" or "Cylclists" ye should be ranting about "A**holes". As both a motorist and a cyclist, I can see both sides of the arguments. It's not weather someone is a motorist or cyclist, its how ignorant they are. Some motorists don't indicate, some cyclists don't indicate, whats the point of approaching it like warring tribes. The are very ignorant cyclists AND motorists on the road. Then again there are very courteous cyclists and motorists on the road.

Depending on what I need to bring to work I could be cycling one day and drving the next. It is a big incentive to be nice to both camps! Its not like when I'm on a bike I hate motorists and vice versa. Those who cycle and drive SHOULD make for the most curteous road users.

Advertisement