Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas at Arnotts

Options
  • 27-07-2006 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hands up,who used to go to Arnotts in Henry Street to see the Lego exhibition at Christmas time aswell as Santy who gave you a small lego kit.

Those were the days :D Bring back the 80's!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

that was the highlight of my year as a kid thats and switzers window

its **** now

how weird is it that the one display i remeber was heidi :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Yes, I did. What ever happened it, anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

jcoote wrote:
    that was the highlight of my year as a kid thats and switzers window

its **** now
    Aye. And both are shite now. Nothing's as good as in mah day!
    how weird is it that the one display i remeber was heidi :confused:
    Seek the assistance of a trained psychiatrist... immediately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I wnet up to Dublin when i was 7 to see the display, i also was so jealous of the giant lego displays on the late late toy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Oh god i remember that so well. I would go into my dads work in d.o.e and then we would go up into arnotts and get one little lego set every year. a great tradition. i think it was around 1996 that it ended. very sad walking up the steps and not seeing it there:( :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 lostcarpark

Yes, that was fantastic. Shame it's gone now, but I guess times change. Closest we have now is the occasional display model in Smyths - not in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I remember doing that for years and years, it was great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Did everyone meet their dad in work and then go up to Arrnotts on a late night Thurs got you dinner in the restaurant in Arnotts too. Best bit was that only I went and me brother had to go a seperate day. Bring back lego

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lostcarpark

Oh yes, the Arnotts displays used to be so good. Now all we get is an occasional farty little display cabinet in Smyths. :-(

I highly recommend a visit to any of the LegoLand theme parts. Now those are some models!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

*raises hand* I'm guilty too... it just made christmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

sorry to seem like im bumping the thread but memories of this place just came back to me today. God I used to love going in every year to see it.

Those were the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I remember going with my brother... I LOVED IT! And i miss it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 NostalgicDublin

Does anyone remember the star wars display they did it was upstairs in a room and they did loads of scenes from the films using the figures and ships , feckin heaven it was , and switzers and brown thomas did big star wars displays too , jeese if anyone had any pics fo them id go mental for em , and talkin of switzers, it was such a huge part of xmas in dublin yet i cannot find one pic of the shop anywhere online m, anyone see one or have one of their own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

so i take it they dont do the christmas display at arnotts any more?
    i always used to go with my aunts each year when i was a kid

i was going to take the missus, she's american, to see it if they still did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Why did you re-raise this thread? :(

I miss this sooooo soooo much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Best bump in the history of boards.

What an experience.

There's a giant Lego Woody (weh weh weh...) upstairs in Hamley's at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

beglee wrote: »
    so i take it they dont do the christmas display at arnotts any more?
    i always used to go with my aunts each year when i was a kid

i was going to take the missus, she's american, to see it if they still did it

They might bring it back. Lego has increased in popularity in the past year. They have a new marketing campaign with the "Board games" they brought out, and lots of new models. They kind of lost their way for a few years. They started doing video games which isn't really their area, and some areas got neglected. While I am a little saddened that they decided to do "themed sets" like Toy Story and harry potter and Star wars, I prefer it that way than there being less lego on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I think I remember an Egyptian theme to one of the Christmas Lego exhibitions one year. Those exhibitions made my year back then.

Nowadays? Jedward.

*edit*
    A big thank you to everyone who bumped the months of dust off this thread. I'm all smiley now.

Advertisement