Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog brought me a present last night....

Options
  • 27-07-2006 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭

of a young pheasant. He was clearly delighted with himself, as he's never caught anything before and thought he was great giving it to his mum. Now, where I live, dogs attacking pheasants is definitely not approved of and could get us into trouble. So I took the (still alive, but only just) pheasant from him and despatched and disposed of it and told him off. Dog was clearly very upset and went into a sulk for the rest of the evening and went looking for it first thing this morning when I let him off the lead.

I'm not 100% happy with how I handled it. He'll never bring anything to me again... needless to say I'll keep a much closer eye on him over the next few months.

What should I have done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Your dog is just helping in evolution. The chick was not fit, otherwise the dog wouldn't have caught it. The gun clubs expect to loose a bit of stock to cats, dogs, fox's, mink and the like. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.

Survival of the fittest

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Animals will be animals. You did nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

The death of the chick doesnt particularly bother me although I didnt much like having to put it out of its misery...it would have been worse if it were a red squirrel or some rare bird..

Its the handling of the dog I'm worried about... i.e. will he think the next time he catches something that he'll have to keep away from me...

I dont really know what I'm trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You can only give out to the dog for the hunting bit, if you catch him while he's at it. (which is very difficult:D )

Giving out to him for giving his "prey" up to you was wrong, (even though understandable) because now he will be reluctant to give up things in the future.

What you should have done would have been to take the "prey" as matter of factly as possible with the minimum amount of "thank you -praise" for giving it up and then just send the dog away and deal with the pheasant afterwards.

I walked in on our terrier trying to kill a pidgeon chick (in our garden) which had fallen out of its nest ...gave out to her and she stopped (too late for the pidgeon, sadly) ...but it still didn't prevent her from looking for the chick for days like a dog posessed.

The only way to keep a real hunter from hunting is a lead.

Over the next few days and weeks just train giving up things for a bit. Make sure he gets a big reward every time for giving things to you ...that might just override the "negative" experience he just had.

peasant wrote:
    You can only give out to the dog for the hunting bit, if you catch him while he's at it. (which is very difficult:D )

Giving out to him for giving his "prey" up to you was wrong, (even though understandable) because now he will be reluctant to give up things in the future.

What you should have done would have been to take the "prey" as matter of factly as possible with the minimum amount of "thank you -praise" for giving it up and then just send the dog away and deal with the pheasant afterwards.

I walked in on our terrier trying to kill a pidgeon chick (in our garden) which had fallen out of its nest ...gave out to her and she stopped (too late for the pidgeon, sadly) ...but it still didn't prevent her from looking for the chick for days like a dog posessed.

The only way to keep a real hunter from hunting is a lead.

Over the next few days and weeks just train giving up things for a bit. Make sure he gets a big reward every time for giving things to you ...that might just override the "negative" experience he just had.

Thats the advice I was looking for.. I didnt give out to him when he gave it up as he's a bit timid when being given out to and I needed to get the pheasant. I sent him away from me though when I got it and thats what made him upset. He tried to follow me and I growled at him..

It will be leads all the way until October Id say.. He isnt a particularly great hunter but I dont really want to encourage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Until about a year ago I would have told you that constant disapproving correction (Nooo ...Stop that) at the first sign of the dog going into hunting mode (pricking ears, freezing, staring, etc) would make the urge to hunt go away ...it worked with our two herders.

Well ..and then we got our terrier ...the only way to discourage her from hunting is to nail her to the ground (failing hammer and nails, a lead will do:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

:p:D
    Honestly I am laughing so much at the only way to stop the terrier is to nail her to the ground.
    I have one full blown 100% terrier ( albeit she's a mix ) and she would kill anything that moves and a jack russell beagle x

The pair of them are a nightmare in woods and fields - I have to keep the terrier on lead all the time but the beagle x will come back when asked so at least that's her saving grace.

** just adding that the terriers prey drive takes over when she sees a bird / rabbit and she WILL NOT under any circumstances come back to me - she has been in too many dangerous situations for me to ever risk her off lead again **

My fellow isnt too bad actually considering hes a whippet. I bring him out when I'm riding my horse quite a bit (in the quiet months for game). He seems to be afraid of straying too far from me, and doesnt like going into ouchy undergrowth. He'll occasionally run after a rabbit or a deer but doesnt go far (probably cos he's knackered from running after the horse:D) . This pheasant chick is the first thing he has ever caught.

Advertisement