Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Tiles

Options
  • 27-07-2006 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hiya,

Some people like to tile their bathroom from top to toe while others just tile around the sink/bath area.

What do you all think? Obviously the latter option is much cheaper ..... but does it look cheap too? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I think all round tiling is the better option for both appearance and moisture protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I just bought a new house and for cost reasons, I didn't do the all round tiling. So I did them as follows:

In the ensuite, I just tiled the 3 walls of the shower & then the shower door closes off that section. I got a colour of paint that matches with the pattern on the tiles and I used the special bathroom paint.

In the main bathroom I just did the two walls over the bath and again got a matching paint.

In the downstairs loo, I just painted it as there is never going to be any huge amount of moisture.

I had spare tiles left over, so I got my tiler to do splash backs over the hand basins. All rooms have lino on the floors.

I am very happy with the finished result and I don't think it looks cheap - but I might be biased ;) Initially though I was a bit worried like you, as all my friends had done the complete tiling, but my budget didn't stretch to that.

Attached is a pic of the bathroom - which was still work in progress at the time :D Unforunately the position of the window meant I had to go with the shower curtain, though I would have preferred a glass panel, it just wasn't an option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

chuckles30 wrote:
    I just bought a new house and for cost reasons, I didn't do the all round tiling. So I did them as follows:

In the ensuite, I just tiled the 3 walls of the shower & then the shower door closes off that section. I got a colour of paint that matches with the pattern on the tiles and I used the special bathroom paint.

In the main bathroom I just did the two walls over the bath and again got a matching paint.

In the downstairs loo, I just painted it as there is never going to be any huge amount of moisture.

I had spare tiles left over, so I got my tiler to do splash backs over the hand basins. All rooms have lino on the floors.

I am very happy with the finished result and I don't think it looks cheap - but I might be biased ;) Initially though I was a bit worried like you, as all my friends had done the complete tiling, but my budget didn't stretch to that.

Attached is a pic of the bathroom - which was still work in progress at the time :D Unforunately the position of the window meant I had to go with the shower curtain, though I would have preferred a glass panel, it just wasn't an option.
    Looks like a nice tidy job, and its good having the window partially into the bath as it will help with the steam extraction.

Advertisement