Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehog

Options
  • 27-07-2006 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A friend has a hedgehog in his garden which is freaking the dogs out.
    What is the most humane way of removing the hedgehog?
    Kind regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

put on gloves grab it and put it in a bush outside your garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

i would not be too quick to put the hedgehog out as they keep the levels of slugs and snails down the environmental way. however, if you do want to take it out of the garden try using wear gloves also use a towel to handle the hedgehog. Try and locate a nice green area not too close to roadways, however close to your house as the hedgehog nest is probably nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hedgehogs are territorial as far as I know, they will want to return to their home if you remove them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

Had a couple of hedgehogs come & go in our garden through the years. It used to drive the dogs mad. I put oven gloves on and carried them to the field behind us.

Be careful though, because any hedgehogs I removed were infested with fleas and they passed to the dogs. Absolute pain in the a$$ to get rid of.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

If your Hedgehog is in or close to Dublin, I'll take it. I have a greenhouse and hundreds of slugs who eat everything I grow; Perfect environment for your friends Hog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Lexie wrote:

Be careful though, because any hedgehogs I removed were infested with fleas.

Good luck!

They quite often have tick infestations too. Safe(r) way to pick up a hedgehog: Wait by it until it uncurls (assuming it curled up as you approached it). Slide hand under hog's tummy so it curls up around your hand. His spines are on the wrong side and it won't let go whilst you move it so less danger of dropping him than when trying to avoid being pricked! Get him where you want to release him and sit with hand on ground until he unwraps himself and goes. (If you want to be helpful, give him a quick squirt of frontline on his back before you release him)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Any updates? what's ur friend going to do about de Hedgehog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Do not squirt the hedghog with frontline, it can harm the hedgie, use a flea powder for birds, make sure to do it outside as the fleas will start to fall off imeadiately and it will only take about 30 mins for all the fleas to fall off.

If he has and visable ticks do not pull them off, the teeth will just break off and will be left in the hedgies skin. Just put a little oil (vegtable will do) on a cotton bud and swab over the tick, this will block the tick's airpassage and it will die and fall off fairly quickly.

Advertisement