Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Banning

Options
  • 27-07-2006 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi
    I would like to report an unfair ban on me from the Islamic forum for thread 'Reviewing Hadith in Turkey'.
    I posted links to Muslim sources that supported the authenticity of the Hadith and other Muslim sources that felt they were a fabrication.

A different poster attacked me as 'trying to lead people out of Islam' and claimed my 'intention was not a good one' . Moderator Talliesin disagreed with the poster but still he went unbanned

This is very offensive and is attacking ME and not the POST.

He was banned for arguing with the Moderators, not for anything he posted about me.

I then posted asking any Muslims who did not feel threatened to the point of insulting me to feedback on the links I had posted.

I was banned for making a 'dig' at that poster, which was warranted based on his posts about me

Now how come he wasn't banned for making two digs at me, but I was banned for that comment which was warrented because he did make digs at me?

This is unfair and unjust and the poster had already got a previous warning and yet we were both banned for a week.

I should be unbanned as I didn't provoke the attack and mine was warranted, I was waiting for feedback from the 'report bad post' I did, but did not get any and he should be banned for longer than a week considering he has a warning for a highly disrespectful post about people who are not Muslims by faith and provoked the attack on me and argued with the moderators.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You had posted links which I didn't find questionable. babyviao was clearly annoyed by one of the links, however the objective was to discuss what was posted and dispute it (which they did to a small bit), but they were already upset about a previous warning.

The response was made by moderators on the ruling, babyviao was told to discuss the issue posted rather then what was occuring.

After posting by myself to stay on topic you posted this.
    Medina wrote:
    icon6.gif

If there are any Muslims out there who do not feel threatened enough to insult me personally by the prospect of having a debate on the authenticity/fabrication of Hadith and their place in Islamic culture then I would welcome you to have a look at the links posted, and post your thoughts on them.

Thanks

Which was a clear dig at babyviao and not really on topic. babyviao was temp banned for also not remaining on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

I know already what the reasons are why you banned me but its not fair.
    You banned me for something that he also did to me and he started, yet you didn't ban him for that.

Sorry Hobbes but your banning me was unfair , a warning was barely warranted.

And am I not right that he did personally insult me?

And yet you banned me for saying that he did?

He has gotten away with offending me , the only reason you banned him was because he argued with you.

That is a double standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Medina wrote:
    Moderator Talliesin disagreed with the poster but still he went unbanned
    So you're pretty much admitting that your post was made after I took pains to calm matters which included defending you from the main crux of the argument against you.
    Medina wrote:
    Now how come he wasn't banned for making two digs at me, but I was banned for that comment which was warrented because he did make digs at me?
    How come you didn't keep out of the flamethrowing?
    Medina wrote:
    This is unfair and unjust and the poster had already got a previous warning and yet we were both banned for a week.
    Okay.
    1. Person X and Y are having a disagreement which goes beyond the grounds of on-topic debate.
    2. Moderators make statements.
    3. Person X is explicitly publicly warned.
    4. Person Y does something person X was just warned about.
    Is Person Y
    1. Behaving reasonably?
    2. Acting the bollocks?
    3. Stupid?
    Delete impossible options.

I'd answer that by deleting the first option.
    Medina wrote:
    I should be unbanned as I didn't provoke the attack and mine was warranted,
    I'm not going to overrule Hobbes ban unless the matter moves out of that forum, but if I was him I'd seriously consider increasing the ban because you seem to think personal attacks can be warranted. I might just, on occassion, give a bit of leeway if someone was provoked, but if I got as much of a sniff that the benefactor of that leeway thought that implied attacks were condoned that leeway would disappear faster than cream cakes at a Progressive Democrat cabinet meeting.
    Medina wrote:
    Giving a degree of benefit to the doubt I was waiting for feedback from the 'report bad post' I did, but did not get any
    Both a moderator and a cat-mod made comments in the thread.

Do not expect hand-delivered replies to all reports (also, don't expect telling moderators what they should do in reports to make them look favourably on them - report what you're reporting and let them decide how to act).

He made digs at me which were NOT warranted and he didn't get banned?
    I made a dig back at him that was warranted because he DID ATTACK ME and I DID get banned?

And I edited my post to save him offense and in the last 'smartyarse' post I went back on topic too asking others to comment i.e. NOT HIM.

You banned me for something we both did. Thats not fair.
    If he doesn't get banned for that why should I?
    Or if I do get banned for it then he should get longer than me because he argued with you two

And by the way that was the first bad post I reported, I would have thought you get at least an acknowlegement that you're looking into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he should have been given a warning, as ever mod ban and never go back

• Advertisement

I don't care about being banned to be honest, as long as I can read the forum but this just stinks.

And I know they are not going to unban me, do they ever?

But still it wasn't fair, I didn't deserve it.

And also when the Mods posted they asked him not to argue with them.

Nobody said anything to him about insulting me, it doesn't seem to matter a damn bit. He didn't even get warned about it but I got banned for it.

Brilliant

Medina wrote:
    He made digs at me which were NOT warranted and he didn't get banned?
    I made a dig back at him that was warranted because he DID ATTACK ME and I DID get banned?
    Personal abuse is never warranted. Come back in two weeks if you manage to cop on to that.
    he should have been given a warning, as ever mod ban and never go back
    To avoid future disappointment, I am now warning you, lostexpectation, not to do something someone else has just been warned about. You may consider yourself permanently warned to this effect permanently and on all forums.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Medina wrote:
    Nope I got unbanned there on two occasions by Hobbes and the new mr. I do think a warning may have been better in your case, but that's not really for me to say though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I know already what the reasons are why you banned me but its not fair.

Well that post was more for a the benifit for those who didn't see why

Sure I will. In one weeks time.
    Nobody said anything to him about insulting me

Well there was the whole point of one of your posts where you clearly thought he took offense and edited it. If he had used the reported posts function I would of seen what that edited portion was in your earlier post that you clearly thought offended him first.

So its not like his response was unprovoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

This looks very harsh to me. Is this the reason he got banned?
    If there are any Muslims out there who do not feel threatened enough to insult me personally by the prospect of having a debate on the authenticity/fabrication of Hadith and their place in Islamic culture then I would welcome you to have a look at the links posted, and post your thoughts on them.

Thanks
    You could easily say that babyvaio was trolling, and then medina was only saying 'Don't feed the troll'. Maybe there's more to this that was deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Saying "don't feed the troll" is the moderators' job, not the users'. Especially after the users have been warned to stay on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

To be fair, that's a very harsh action, and I can't say that I've seen Medina having done anything that deserves a ban from Islam, ever mind a siteban!

Look I have no idea why Medina was site banned. The Islam forum ban was for a week.

It was going to be a warn but I had already warned anyone going off topic on the thread was getting a holiday and his post was an obvious dig on babyviao and clearly off topic.

As for babyviao, she wasn't trolling. She is still worked up over an earlier incident where she got warned on, so still in the process of taking everything personally too easily. She actually contributes to the forum, it's just recently shes upset over a misunderstanding.

Btw Karl, I deleted thier posts after the warning which is why you can't see them. Medinas post was after I warned people to get back on topic. Babyviaos post after that was just going on about the moderation, hence the holiday for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

oscarBravo wrote:
    Saying "don't feed the troll" is the moderators' job, not the users'. Especially after the users have been warned to stay on topic.

Im not sure Id agree with the first part, about only mods being allowed to suggest that. Mods have their own lives Im sure and cant always be around to police the threads. Surely everyone has a part to play in keeping the forum calm and on topic. Ive read through the thread and I think Medina has been a bit hard done by. Although thats just based an impression from this thread.

But then im just a punter.

InFront wrote:
    Im not sure Id agree with the first part, about only mods being allowed to suggest that.

The problem with that is you have someone say "Keep it on topic" which in turns prompts another off-topic response, followed by others joining in.

While if you just hit report posts it pages a mod/catmod/admin to review the post and just nuke it or warn the person.

Leave it to the mods, it keeps the threads cleaner.

Talliesin wrote:
    Personal abuse is never warranted. Come back in two weeks if you manage to cop on to that.
    To avoid future disappointment, I am now warning you, lostexpectation, not to do something someone else has just been warned about. You may consider yourself permanently warned to this effect permanently and on all forums.

im sorry, what did I do are mods teh only ones allowed to add to these type of threads.

Talliesin wrote:

im sorry, what did I do are mods teh only ones allowed to add to these type of threads. I virtually said the same thing as the mod in question.

im sorry, what did I do are mods teh only ones allowed to add to these type of threads.
    You didn't do anything. That warning applies to everyone else too.

And the reason that Medina was sitebanned was for insisting s/he had some right to engage in insults.

Now "I think people should be allowed to insult others on boards.ie" is fair enough. "I'm going to get into flame-wars with anyone who I think has insulted me rather than (or as well as) report it" isn't.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

InFront wrote:
    Im not sure Id agree with the first part, about only mods being allowed to suggest that.

Keeping moderation details out of threads keeps them clearer and less likely to degenerate in my opinion. Moderation requires a bit of balance sometimes that gets a bit upset if the "grand plan" (which might just be to sit back and wait) is interfered with. PM and the Report post feature exists to alert mods to any potential problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i hope that medina guy never sees the thunderdome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

She got banned for that? So much for tolerance on the Islam forum and yet more evidence of the bias and discrimination of moderation on said forum.

How pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Not sure what kind of discrimination or bias you're talking about really metro.

Perhaps I can remind you that the moderator who banned her from the forum isn't a Muslim himself.

Hi Talliesin. We haven't been formerly introduced till now :)

Anyway, I was looking over the thread in the Islam forum again and this thread here today and I can see why you sitebanned Medina for two weeks. But is there any chance this siteban can be reduced to one week only? I understand that she just felt a little hurt and treated unfairly that she was banned for something that babyvaio wasn't warned about. Personally speaking and certainly no disrespect to Hobbes, I would have warned babyvaio for the comment she complained about and I think that if babyvaio had been warned about that, she probably wouldn't have protested to her forum ban.

I agree that people can't say: "I'm going to get into flame-wars with anyone who I think has insulted me rather than (or as well as) report it" as you put it but I honestly think that one week should be enough. Let me know what you think anyway.

Also, I checked the banlist and can't find her name there. Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

She is not banned any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Thanks. That's what I was thinking at first but then I thought that maybe there was a different list or something.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Advertisement