Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protests against Israel?

Options
  • 27-07-2006 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I am outraged by the attacks on Lebanon, they go far beyond what would be a measured response against Hezbollah. I for one would like to protest at the Israeli embassy, does anyone know of anything organised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

How mature of you, I thought this was a forum for debate not for childish harranging of other people. Do you think bombing the **** out of civilians (25% of dead are children) is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bubba Gump banned for 2 weeks for personal abuse and trolling.

Joseph next time do not react to posts, use the report this post function (ie this icon http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/buttons/report.gif).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Do you honestly believe the Israeli government care what you think? Seriously they are Americas 3rd brother behind Britain. Besides how accurate are the 25% figures you gave for women and children dead ever hear of the lovely word propaganda? Are the Israelis right to bomb the Lebanon? Who knows? Were the Hesbala right to capture Israeli soldiers who knows.

It is tragic when innocent lives are lost but protesting will get you nowhere in fairness. If they wont listen to the UN they wont listen to a protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Check out Indymedia.ie. There is an events section on the left hand side of the homepage or here: http://www.indymedia.ie/events&type_id=5

there is a national protest organised for the 29th
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/77452
    2pm at the Garden of Rememberance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Akrasia wrote:
    Check out Indymedia.ie. There is an events section on the left hand side of the homepage or here: http://www.indymedia.ie/events&type_id=5

there is a national protest organised for the 29th
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/77452
    2pm at the Garden of Rememberance.

Thanks for that - I f***ing hate indymedia and am not looking forward to having to read their site - but I will do that later to see when /where its on and if not working that day will attend.

PS is it just my imagination or have a LOT of people registered accounts in the last few days purely to tow the pro- israel party line ? ? Anyone else noticed that ?

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote:
    PS is it just my imagination or have a LOT of people registered accounts in the last few days purely to tow the pro- israel party line ? ? Anyone else noticed that ?

Eh no i signed up to boards for other reasons but came across this post besides people have a right to their opinion and you should really mind your own business as to why people signed up. So what if someone is pro or anti israel their choice I am neither anyway. Same ol same ol. There will be many more conflicts like it.

Morlar wrote:
    Thanks for that - I f***ing hate indymedia and am not looking forward to having to read their site - but I will do that later to see when /where its on and if not working that day will attend.

just one note to the wise, this is a demonstration run by the so called 'Irish anti war movement' which is really kittle more than a front organisation for the SWP and they haven't got the trust of the rest of the anti war movement due to their past behaviour. So if you do decide to go, be aware that they will try to recruit you and sell you their newspaper. There probably are vigils outside the israeli embassey every night this week, if you want to head down there, you'd be more than welcome.

Eh no i signed up to boards for other reasons but came across this post besides people have a right to their opinion and you should really mind your own business as to why people signed up. So what if someone is pro or anti israel their choice I am neither anyway. Same ol same ol. There will be many more conflicts like it.
    not if israel push it too far. They have hundreds of nuclear weapons and if they feel under mortal threat, do you really think they won't be tempted to use them? Israeli actions have the potential to ignite a third world war or worse.

Akrasia wrote:
    if you do decide to go, be aware that they will try to recruit you and sell you their newspaper.

Thanks for the heads up - there is a half a snowflakes chance in hell of that ever happening - but cheers anyway. I probably will head on over to the israeli embassy too - cheers.

you should really mind your own business as to why people signed up. S

Thanks but with respect I am capable of deciding what is relevant and what isnt for myself and if I want to ask a question/get a 2nd opinion I will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

I've noticed ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Your best means of protest is to stop buying Isreali produce and tell the manager of your supermarket that you are. If they don't have a choice of a non isreali produce ask them to.

I'll be watching what I buy very closely from now onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Bards

I've been doing the same for a number of years now, refusing to buy israelli produce.

When the whole international community except for the US condems their actions and then deliberatley bomb the UN lookout in Lebanon... I think the whole country should do likewise and stop buying israelli produce

I will be boycotting them too - does anyone have a link to a site that lists their most popular products sold in europe ? Any re-branding of items going on ? I read somewhere that (I think) it was '7 29 XXXXXXXXXXXXX' the start numbers of bar code items that originate in israel (open to correction on that one).

PS bookee - I will shut up now !

*Just came across this - while looking up boycott israel

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/pressdesc.asp?id=668&rumor=true

which says :

You may have seen a rumor or web posting about Howard Schultz, Starbucks and the Israeli army. The rumor and web posting are factually inaccurate. Neither Chairman Howard Schultz nor Starbucks fund or support the Israeli Army. Starbucks is a non-political organization and does not support individual political causes.

Contact Information:
    Starbucks Coffee Company
    (206) 318-7100
    press@starbucks.com

Akrasia wrote:
    not if israel push it too far. They have hundreds of nuclear weapons and if they feel under mortal threat, do you really think they won't be tempted to use them? Israeli actions have the potential to ignite a third world war or worse.

You seriously believe they will use Nuclear Weapons. They have no need to use nuclear weapons they will keep hammering away until one of two things happen the Hasbala give up and surrender or they wipe every single one out. The Israelis are smarter than most people give them credit for I do not condon or follow there actions but They are supported heavily by the likes of the US and UK and in no certain terms will they let Israel launch any Nuclear weapon as for 3rd world war come on this confrontation has been going on for centuries its just now with the influence of media that fills ideas into the heads of onlookers.

Morlar wrote:
    PS bookee - I will shut up now !

Thanks... !
    But I don't think Ireland gets a HUGE Amount of "stuff" from them - US Boycott would be the way to go..... ! But, honestly, I believe that would be too difficult!
    :p

Morlar wrote:

:D

You seriously believe they will use Nuclear Weapons. They have no need to use nuclear weapons they will keep hammering away until one of two things happen the Hasbala give up and surrender or they wipe every single one out. The Israelis are smarter than most people give them credit for I do not condon or follow there actions but They are supported heavily by the likes of the US and UK and in no certain terms will they let Israel launch any Nuclear weapon as for 3rd world war come on this confrontation has been going on for centuries its just now with the influence of media that fills ideas into the heads of onlookers.
    I don't believe they will use nuclear weapons to defeat hezbollah, but in a worst case scenario, if they end up in a war against all of their neighbours and if they look as if they are about to be overwhelmed, then i beleive they will use their Nukes. And if it ever gets to that point, the U.S. or U.K. wouldn't be able to stop them even if they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

You seriously believe they will use Nuclear Weapons. They have no need to use nuclear weapons they will keep hammering away until one of two things happen the Hasbala give up and surrender or they wipe every single one out. The Israelis are smarter than most people give them credit for

Hezbollah will never give up, and no guerilla army with the support of its population has ever been wiped out by conventional warfare. The Israelis are completely retarded if they think their bombing campaign will do anything other than create more hate for them in the region.

Hell, even the Israelis aren't saying they're going to wipe out Hezbollah - they talk about 'downgrading' - and even that isn't working. They've dropped so many LGBs on Lebanon that they've had to order more from the US, and yet every day more Katyushas than ever before are hitting Israeli towns.

The Romans had it right - you either totally annihilate your enemy or you make them your friends. Nothing else works.
    I do not condon or follow there actions but They are supported heavily by the likes of the US and UK and in no certain terms will they let Israel launch any Nuclear weapon as for 3rd world war come on this confrontation has been going on for centuries its just now with the influence of media that fills ideas into the heads of onlookers.

This Arab/Israeli conflict has been going on for 60 years actually. As for a 3rd World War, I don't see that happening at all.. there aren't enough other countries around the world with a real vested interest in what happens in Israel, apart from the moral outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah, hold a protest. Thatll show em.

Honestly, do you really think Israel cares at all about some protest by the usual suspects when Hizbullah fired 150 rockets at their towns only yesterday? Are anti-Israeli (the flag of convenience is updated as appropriate, but the "analysis" is consistent) protests in Ireland really all that remarkable that theyre even worthy of comment? These protests are more to do with the protestors needs than anything else.

• Advertisement

.. Is that your way of saying you won't be attending ....? :)

-spelling, oops !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Sand wrote:
    What do you suggest people do? No doubt you feel anyone who doesn't agree with you should just shut up and do nothing because in your opinion they are wrong.
    Sand wrote:
    Are anti-Israeli (the flag of convenience is updated as appropriate, but the "analysis" is consistent) protests in Ireland really all that remarkable that theyre even worthy of comment?

Once again you equate any kind of protest against the slaughter in Lebanon as being anti-Israeli. Did it never cross your mind that the protests might be anti- indiscriminate killings regardless of who pulls the trigger? You seem to always come down hard on the Provo apologists, and rightly so imo but I don’t think it's a principled stance on your part, but rather you picked sides and chose to justify those you support and demonise those you don’t for carrying out the same agenda.

In your opinion Israel is acting in self defence and you justify their actions in Lebanon by dismissing any protesters as ... the usual suspects. I think you are constrained by association, where by you behave in a reactionary manor, automatically siding with those opposite to the groups you don’t like.

How are you any better than those Provo apologists who justify indiscriminate bombings killing innocent people because as they see it, it is an act of self defense and that the IRA were provoked into doing such things?

Indiscriminate bombings and war crimes are wrong regardless of whether they are carried out by the IRA, Hezbollah or the IDF. Some people choose to justify the IRA as a liberation movement acting in self defence and the same blind delusion is employed by people who chose to justify the same actions carried out by a state.

Terrorism is wrong full stop, regardless of whether it is carried out by a small underground movement or by an overt state force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I am outraged by the attacks on Lebanon, they go far beyond what would be a measured response against Hezbollah. I for one would like to protest at the Israeli embassy, does anyone know of anything organised?

All I know is that I shall be offering my solidarity with good the people of Israel & the Lebannon over the coming months.

(But I shall NOT protest outside the Israeli Embassy), they are not to blame!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sand wrote:

Honestly, do you really think Israel cares at all about some protest by the usual suspects when Hizbullah fired 150 rockets at their towns only yesterday? Are anti-Israeli (the flag of convenience is updated as appropriate, but the "analysis" is consistent) protests in Ireland really all that remarkable that theyre even worthy of comment? These protests are more to do with the protestors needs than anything else.

You know, some people are actually appalled and condemn Israeli slaughter of innocent people.

It is obvious that Israel cares not a jot what anybody, who has a concern for civilians, think.

How mature of you, I thought this was a forum for debate not for childish harranging of other people. Do you think bombing the **** out of civilians (25% of dead are children) is ok!

If you were so against the war and the deaths caused you would be calling for a march against both Israel and Hezbollah. But I doubt you would ever consider that Hezbollah was responsible for any deaths... The problem with the anti-war front is that while countries/nations (like Israel, or the US) are targeted its rare that there are marches organised against the terrorist/resistance groups that also kill.

While there is huge debate about Israel its amazing that people rarely complain about Hezbollah's involvement in causing this whole conflict (admittedly Israel's reaction has overshowed the other attacks, but still... ). Even if you believe that Hezbollah just provided Israel with an excuse to invade Lebanon, they still did choose lebanon to lauch their attacks from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hizbollah do not enjoy the 'support of the world'

Israel enjoy the 'apparant' support of the world including the US, UK & Ireland. It is right that this should be highlighted and condemned. Israel are carrying out Blitzkreig against civilians, why should people support that?

Israel doesn't have the support of the world. Its just that they're not applying punishments to them. Very few countries have approved of the Israeli response if any. A few started to but once the massive civilian casualties started occuring that support dried up.

However Hizbollah have support in that people will criticise Israel without talking all that much about Hizbollah's killings.... Have you managed to complain about Hizbollah using Lebanon firstly to launch attacks, and secondly that the attacks occured at all? I doubt it.

As for Ireland, I noticed aid went to Lebanon and Palestine. I didn't see any aid going to Israeli civilians for the damage/deaths caused by Hizbollah's rockets..... Not really support, would you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

As for Ireland, I noticed aid went to Lebanon and Palestine. I didn't see any aid going to Israeli civilians for the damage/deaths caused by Hizbollah's rockets..... Not really support, would you say?
    Perhaps that's something to do with the perception that Israel is killing a heck of lot more people and destroying a heck of a lot more stuff in Lebanon than Hezbollah are in Israel. There might also be the perception that Israel are undoubtedly the aggressors here, attacking an almost defenceless nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

clown bag wrote:
    What do you suggest people do?
    I think his answer to everything is violence, overwhelming violence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dvdgangster

I think its pretty obvious to any perceptive observer that this is pure and utter terrorism from israel, their acts are war crimes under the geneva convention. They have both military and financial aid coming in from america, so its america who is funding the terrorists.

I suppose all we can hope for is Iran to get nuclear capabilties and be a force for stability in the region, offsetting Israels power.

Check out aljazzera.com for some half decent news

Advertisement