Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding a wireless card - electronics help needed!

Options
  • 27-07-2006 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Hey I recently bought a DWL-650 PCMCIA wireless card because I read on the net about modding it to put an external antenna on to it (unfortunately that site seems to have gone down) and it sounded like fun.

It seems that my DWL-650 is a different revision and looks a lot different from their one. The site was explaining that you have to de-solder one leg of a capacitor and connect it instead to the path for the external antenna.

Mine doesn't have an extra path for an external antenna, so I was wondering if it would be ok to just solder the wire on to the copper of the internal antenna. The internal antenna basically is just a C-shaped piece of exposed copper on the board as far as I can see, nothing very special about it.

Would there be interference between the two antennae?

Also, how in the name of god am I supposed to desolder those tiny parts from a PCMCIA card?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You trying to use this for WLAN/IrishWan-type connectivity?

Just buy a linux/bsd-supporting adapter with a pigtail jack, save yourself the hassle.

Or hop on irc.irishwan.org and ask for a few tips/links.
    Also, how in the name of god am I supposed to desolder those tiny parts from a PCMCIA card?!

Carefully, and by the grace of the Tech Deities.

Sacrifice an inkjet on your dark altar if you want to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Eh, I don't really know waht Irishwan is save for it showing up on my wireless networks list from time to time. I'll have a lookie

Nah I bought it specifically to modify it, trying to learn me some electronics. What does inkjet have to do with it? As a bench or what?

Does a piece of C shaped copper qualify as an antenna? If so, I reckon I can do it.

Besides it's for wardriving experiments (on my own machine of course) and WEP cracking is limited to particular cards and chipsets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Wanna be careful here. Could introduce all sorts of transmission line related problems. I'm an electronic engineer and I wouldn't know how to do this (granted my area of expertice is not comms)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

theres is 2 revisions of that card and from what i remember only the first one is any good for wardriving you could also try getting an prism orinoco gold classic card they seem to be the best of the wardriving cards

Advertisement