Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new Limerick leader website

Options
  • 27-07-2006 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I thought someone would have posted a thread about this at this stage.

It's utterly crap. There is no Property section and few other sections seem to have dissapeared too., Practically no news, and rubbish recycled headlines:mad:

Really it's so bad. Whenever I'm on it, there's is nothing good on it or seldom I see something that's worth reading. The Majority of it dosn't even relate to the paper anyway. The only good thing it's presented well and the webpage is more attractive than the last, just a bit of PR if you ask me. well that's just my opinion.:p

What do ye reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

agreed.
    it wasnt fab before but at least most of the stuff was on there..since it was bought out by whoever (as was the longford paper, their site is exactly the same!) they've run before they could walk. it needs to be more user friendly and they need to have the basics on there;property as you said and jobs too.on the odd occasion that im on there it seems to have the same headlines etc on there. its like they put it up as a second thought and didnt give someone the responsibility of keeping it updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yup, looks like crap. Interesting article on Willie O'Dea's reaction to the new halting site at the parkway though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

they onlu update it once a week aswel, which is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I think www.limerickpost.ie is way better it updates more than the Limerick leader but could still do it more often

anyone else use www.newsnow.co.uk thats were i find out everything
    just type in the keyword ireland and then republic of ireland at the top

give it a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

On the subject of newspapers in Limerick, I must say that as a whole, the Limerick Post is by far the best paper. They have added lots of new pages which I think makes a great read.

The new paper, the limerick independant isn't great; I would imagine they are looking for the Limerick Post readers, but to date, it's not doing it for me.

The Limerick Leader is ok but It might be better if they published in tabloid format..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

The Post Limericks best paper? Oh god, I hope not. I don't really read any of the other local papers (I only read the post because we get it for free at home and at work) but if they're worse than the abysmal post then it's a sorry state.

The Post ran a story a few weeks ago about the Poles eating swans out of the river. The source mentioned in the article was "some woman" who didn't want to be named who heard that swans were a delicacy in Poland, and heard they'd been taking swans out of the river to eat them, and heard that the swan count in Limerick was down. So some nameless woman heard some rumours and that's a story for the Post?
    Not only is this story ridiculous and based on nothing but it's also blatantly irresponisble journalism which is likely to foster racism.
    Another article was about some child who lost her toy monkey. Is the Post some kind of joke paper? Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

I see your point...in my opinion, as a light read, with enjoyable feature pages, I enjoy it. The swan story had previously been covered by the Limerick leader back in Feb, with similar assumptions about the Polish community.

With regard to the missing teddy, I agree that it was a fairly lame story, but it's hardly typical of regular editorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yes, since the start of the independant the post expanded to an 80page newspaper, the independant (now fully set up) has increased in size too, and i think is starting to be pretty good, and the new tabloid from the Limerick Leader (weekender) is really great for Limerick, maybe more coverage of what will happen thn what did happen and it would be great alongside the monthly Limerick Event Guide by eightball promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

and the new tabloid from the Limerick Leader (weekender) is really great for Limerick

Are you kidding? That paper is nothing but tripe, page after page of photos of the (occasionally good looking) patrons of the bars and clubs in the city.

I think it might be fun to collect those papers for 6 months, go into the Limerick Leader offices, and insert them all through their letterbox, one by one.. see how they like it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Just going back to the original point of the crapness of the Leader's website in comparison with the Post's, maybe the Leader feel that if they make the website an absolute substitute for the print paper (which is more or less what the Post does) less people will buy it, because the Leader has to sell its papers instead of relying on them being delivered to people for free.

Regarding the quality of the papers, the Leader can resort to equally lazy journalism as does the Post - just today in the editorial pages there was a story from an unnamed (surprise, surprise) County Limerickwoman who had noticed that standards in manners have been falling in recent years. However, I do enjoy the Leader's "Have your say" piece, when they pose some topical question to 12 randomers on the street, it reminds me a bit of "After Hours" on boards.ie

For me though I prefer the post, I think it does carry more actual news stories than the Leader, while it also represents better value for money. The Independent has definitely improved since its opening weeks. It seems to be pitching at the same level that the Evening Herald or Evening Echo do, with about 50% local news and 50% geographically neutral feature pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Yeah the new website is absolute crap, the lack of actual news on it is unbelievable and this from limericks longest running newspaper!, also the archive section is no longer available either, what an absolute joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Has anyone actually complain to the Limerick Leader? i think someone should!

Advertisement