Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Cycling routes in Waterford

• 27-07-2006 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Has anyone measured out any good cycling routes in Waterford recently? Im trying to think of a way of getting out towards tramore and then back in the dunmore road, by staying on roads that are safe enough to cycle on. Any suggestions?

If theres any cyclists here with set routes that you tend to take and know the distances, Id be happy to hear them!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The R685 road (the main tramore/dunmore road) is quite good, but it doesnt bring you that close to the city. i think its around 10 km to get on the dunmore road from that crossroads just outside tramore (the one with the start of the old tramore road).

When you get on the dunmore road from that road i think your only around 5km from dunmore so if you dont want a fairly lengthy cycle you could take a left up the airport road from the R685. Take the first right after the airport and after going straight through the crossroads you should come to ballygunner. but i think the roads round ballygunner are closed at the moment so instead a diversion brings you to half way up the williamstown rd if you want to head around that area. im going for a cycle around the area tomorrow so i can give you a better indication of times and distances.

I dont know how long the roadworks around ballygunner will go on for but it makes it fairly awkward for people coming from the south to the east of the city. Anyway, hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

R685 is fully of deadly twists and turns! I'd not feel to confident about cycling esp on the stretch at the Tramore end with its Z bends.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

deise59 wrote:
    The R685 road (the main tramore/dunmore road) is quite good, but it doesnt bring you that close to the city. i think its around 10 km to get on the dunmore road from that crossroads just outside tramore (the one with the start of the old tramore road).

When you get on the dunmore road from that road i think your only around 5km from dunmore so if you dont want a fairly lengthy cycle you could take a left up the airport road from the R685. Take the first right after the airport and after going straight through the crossroads you should come to ballygunner. but i think the roads round ballygunner are closed at the moment so instead a diversion brings you to half way up the williamstown rd if you want to head around that area. im going for a cycle around the area tomorrow so i can give you a better indication of times and distances.

I dont know how long the roadworks around ballygunner will go on for but it makes it fairly awkward for people coming from the south to the east of the city. Anyway, hope that helps

Good stuff, thanks for that. As Mike said, its not the safest of roads for a bike though!

What other routes (Say less than 20 miles ) are popular with cyclists around Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Waterford - Kilmeaden - Portlaw - Carrolls Cross - Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Baby4 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Are the turns out to woodstown not abit dodgy when it comes to cars?
    also how long is it...got a route layout in googlemaps by any chance?

Upto now I've only been commuting to work but decided I'd take up longer trips for excercise, did Tramore and back today...the route is fine except the bit from the new road round-about to Superquin, don't feel safe on that stretch at all :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Junior wrote:
    Waterford - Kilmeaden - Portlaw - Carrolls Cross - Waterford.

Just be careful there, some nasty bends at pouldrew and between portlaw and carrolls cross can be a bit nasty too.

Advertisement