Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build

Options
  • 27-07-2006 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm attempting a build for the first time with Conroe nearly out and all that. I'm just looking for 2 things, first a decent monitor, to run top of the range gfx card. Can anyone recommend a decent one, I know anything under 8ms should be grand... ? Secondly I need some DDR2 ram. I'm going to get an Asus P5WDH mobo so I hope to overclock a bit with the conroe etc but I dont know any good ram. The amount I'll spend on the monitor depends on how much goes towards the ram tbh. I'll post up a list later for compatibility checks and recommendations from the lads here etc. It's going to be a gaming rig :D

also it's better to get the non pentium HSF? The quieter the better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Budget ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i think pog mo thoin has some nice ocz ram for sale on adverts at the moment, could be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ram here 4 sale:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=3576

Edit: Savemejebus got there 1st while i was typing

Are you aware of this:
    Note: In order for a Core 2 DUO (Conroe) processor to work with this mainboard you may require to perform a BIOS update which will require an older processor or contacting Asus for a new BIOS chip. OcUK does not provide a BIOS flashing service and will not accept used product back unwanted as this board does support Conroe with Asus latest BIOS.

You gotta either flash the bios with P4 chip or order new bios chip from Asus in order to get conroe to work on that mobo. Other than that its a pretty good mobo. Loads of features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

no i wasn't, cheers. Must have a look around for the info tomorrow. I got a p4 so might be able to do the bios flash... I'm gonna have a look at the specs etc of the ram and another i got recommended...

Hoping to get the ram and monitor for 400 - 500 if possible. As fast as possible :)

• Advertisement

needs to be 965 compatible P4....latest 1s.

Advertisement