Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China activist 'beat himself up'

Options
  • 27-07-2006 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Not one for usually throwing my 0.0000002c into the political arena but this is absolutely ludicrous and really highlights how corrupt and totalitarian china is
    China activist 'beat himself up'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

He should vote for a different party in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

My penny to your measly cents:

*sarcasm mode on*
    You know, when I feel that human rights are violated I always beat myself on the back of the neck. I even do it when the revenue is after me. But I never managed to paralyse myself by doing so. Temporary paralyzing only happens when I get intimate with a bottle of whiskey.
    I think we all should learn from the Chinese - according to Mao - who resist the establishment and the powers by simple means which don't include the purchase of highly taxed bottles of establishment-enhancing and enriching liquors.
    *sarcasm mode off*

God almighty! If this story is true ... no, it is true ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dg101

Yeah, according to the Irish Times today he managed to somehow break his own neck. And this is after he was paralysed and regained only the use of his arms. But of course, that's all very believeable, isn't it? Happens all the time..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Could he have slipped and fell against a table?

"It was an accident, Comrade Captain"
    "To die of something as petty as slipping on tea..."

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dg101

Well, he could have. If he had been able to stand. He was paralysed from the waist down since his encounter with mysterious thugs when he left the police station after having publically criticised the compensation local farmers had received. So, the way i see it, he just grabbed himself by both ears and twisted hard? Or at least, that seems to be what the Chinese government is saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

This whole story is unbelievably depressing - to think that a one-party state like this is in existence still and western governments appear to be turning a blind eye while 'opening up' business oppurtunities in China. I'd say this isn't an isolated incident and that many people fall down stairwells etc. What to do?

Tired,
    Ramon

Nelson Muntz approves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

This whole story is unbelievably depressing - to think that a one-party state like this is in existence still and western governments appear to be turning a blind eye while 'opening up' business oppurtunities in China. I'd say this isn't an isolated incident and that many people fall down stairwells etc. What to do?

Tired,
    Ramon

I personally prefer the method you are speaking of. Opening up business opportunities in China will give more leverage to the democracies who cry foul over this sort of thing. It's a case of bringing down the current system with softness, maybe be so soft that they hardly notice it. Money talks, and China will come to know which side her bread is buttered on, (to use quite a bizzare phrase):confused::)

Its better than playing soldiers with the Iraqis, thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

InFront wrote:
    I personally prefer the method you are speaking of. Opening up business opportunities in China will give more leverage to the democracies who cry foul over this sort of thing. It's a case of bringing down the current system with softness, maybe be so soft that they hardly notice it. Money talks, and China will come to know which side her bread is buttered on, (to use quite a bizzare phrase):confused::)
    I disagree, I see democracies moving closer to the Chinese model in the future. Democracy is a nuisance to business.

How would you propose western governments sort out China then? In my opinion, they're on a winner with the current model, and that is to give themselves a voice with the chequebook. A well economy is a good way to get a country on the track to democracy. I think China is one case where the US has enough sense not to target with force. Its the carrot method.

If they were to have done the same with Afghanistan and Iraq and Iran years ago, when they had their chance, then we couldnt be in the mess we find ourselves today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

Most Chinese people will believe this story..

I've tried to talk to a good few Chinese about Tibet, but my god, its depressing how brainwashed they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

InFront wrote:
    Its the carrot method.

QUOTE]

Definitely works better than the stick method I would agree, though I think there's a fairly selfish reason for this too, more business with China is good for the western bank balance. Perhaps they'll move towards each other and meet somewhere in the middle.

Cordially,
    Ramon

Dear Ramon;

I agree on the selfish reasons for western investment in China. If the place was desert and rock with only mountain goats for nourishment, theyd have been bombed into oblivion long ago.

Yours, etc.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

This won the 2006 sundance film festival, funny insight into China's dealings with the west..

http://www.hahahaamerica.com/traler.html

Advertisement