Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Hilux twin cab

Options
  • 27-07-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I was wondering does anyone have any advice on Toyota Hilux vehicles. The twin cab models as i would need to transport more than one passanger quite a bit.

I do a lot of hunting and one would be dead handy for it. They are quite expensive though. SO if i was to buy one it would be my main vehicle so i could use it for going to work and my off-road excursions

As i'd be driving it to work which is 20 miles away how are the various engine models for MPG. I'd be doing 40'ish miles from monday to friday.

Are they capable off road (doesn't have to be the best as i wont be trying to scale everest with it but it has to be capable)

Are running costs huge (service,tires, etc)

Are there parts readily available for them.

Is there a better alternative vehicle out there.

Basically i want to know as much as i can about them or what you have heard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

for the record yes i am a red neck

edit: now wheres my sister gone.....yeeeeeeee hawwwwwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

What years & model milage are you looking at??

There heavy on the road.. handling is sloppy and you will get 25/28 mpg on a long run and 15 mpg around town. The turbo gives power but you'll still be last off the line and pay dearly for it.. A 4x4 for 40 miles a week seems like you like the idea of a jeep and are willing to pay though the nose for it. The tax on a crew cab is on the engine size as standard cars as opposed to commercial tax (minus your rear seats).. the min is 2.5ltr so you'll pay 821 if its 3ltr it's 1109!

Unless your need for such a vechicle is to pull 2-3 tonne trailers at 10 mpg!! Or farming i'd say your stone mad! Also the other side of the coin the environment won't be best pleased with another fuel guzler burning vast carbon's in to the air either..

They are nice alright.. toyota are bullet proof and hold their value but you really have to work out your need verses the cost of having what seems to be the new fashion in vehicle sales.. I've held off buying the landcruiser LWB even though i pull a 17ft speedboat with an inboard.. on regular basis. I can't justify driving such a vehicle for just towing a boat during the summer season only..

My advice is test drive them all.. all the 4x4's and when you swing around the corners you might have a re-think... Their not built for speed or comfort - their built for towing and all terrain.. roads don't suit them!

stifz wrote:
    What years & model milage are you looking at??

There heavy on the road.. handling is sloppy and you will get 25/28 mpg on a long run and 15 mpg around town. The turbo gives power but you'll still be last off the line and pay dearly for it.. A 4x4 for 40 miles a week seems like you like the idea of a jeep and are willing to pay though the nose for it. The tax on a crew cab is on the engine size as standard cars as opposed to commercial tax (minus your rear seats).. the min is 2.5ltr so you'll pay 821 if its 3ltr it's 1109!

Unless your need for such a vechicle is to pull 2-3 tonne trailers at 10 mpg!! Or farming i'd say your stone mad! Also the other side of the coin the environment won't be best pleased with another fuel guzler burning vast carbon's in to the air either..

They are nice alright.. toyota are bullet proof and hold their value but you really have to work out your need verses the cost of having what seems to be the new fashion in vehicle sales.. I've held off buying the landcruiser LWB even though i pull a 17ft speedboat with an inboard.. on regular basis. I can't justify driving such a vehicle for just towing a boat during the summer season only..

My advice is test drive them all.. all the 4x4's and when you swing around the corners you might have a re-think... Their not built for speed or comfort - their built for towing and all terrain.. roads don't suit them!

well its a jeep and i knew it would handle like sh1te. It definitely is not a fashion item for me. i wouldn't have asked about mpg if it was. Mpg is lower than i expected though.

I couldn't care less about speed but was hoping they were comfortable.

Well i could really use a hardy vehicle for my hunting but i will have to drive 200 miles a week to and from work also so is there anything else that suits.

A forester just doesn't have the ground clearance and the smaller jeeps usually don't have rear seats.

any alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What about a Subaru Forester? It'll do more than enough off-roading for most people and its on-road manners will be worlds ahead of a Hilux.

Edit: Sorry, just saw you said a Forester doesn't have the ground clearance. Are you sure, I'm no expert, but I've been told they are a lot more capable off-road than they look.

well to be honest Anan, its very early days yet, I am probably going to make the change to a diesel vehicle for the extra miles per gallon but i would benefit hugely in my private life if i had off road capabilities.

with the hilux i was hoping(dreaming really) that it would do good milage.

the forester doesn't come in a diesel does it.

to be honest i want the impossible and i know it.

great miles to the gallon (40+), ok off road, and the ability to carry passangers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

AFAIK a Forester has 190 mm ground clearance ...the same as a Suzuki Vitara or Suzuki Jimny (at the Diff) ...what it doesn't have is good approach or departure angles but you won't need those for ruddy tracks.

It's a bit of a drinker though ...fuel consumption is around 10 - 12 Liters per 100/km.

Do you need seats and a boot or is it either or?

You might want to look at the Suzuki Vitara 1.6 (petrol) for the either or situation or the GV XL (7 or 5 seats) (2.0 Diesel) if you need both. Now that the new model Vitara is out, you should be able to get a good price for a 04/05 model.

Suzukis are very reliable, tough and cheap to service and neither of the above should drink you dry.

two random examples:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=440379
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=317017

peasant wrote:
    AFAIK a Forester has 190 mm ground clearance ...the same as a Suzuki Vitara or Suzuki Jimny (at the Diff) ...what it doesn't have is good approach or departure angles but you won't need those for ruddy tracks.

It's a bit of a drinker though ...fuel consumption is around 10 - 12 Liters per 100/km.

Do you need seats and a boot or is it either or?

You might want to look at the Suzuki Vitara 1.6 (petrol) for the either or situation or the GV XL (7 or 5 seats) (2.0 Diesel) if you need both. Now that the new model Vitara is out, you should be able to get a good price for a 04/05 model.

Suzukis are very reliable, tough and cheap to service and neither of the above should drink you dry.

two random examples:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=440379
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=317017

these were indeed on my research list, but i'll have to check up mpg as it is quite important to me

And then there would be this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=407744

Still a petrol, but the 1.8 GDI engine is supposed to be very frugal, yet powerful.

They are pricey though and not very roomy (not even the 5 door) ...but they DO have a transfer case and are very capable off road.

And if you really want to go places get one of these:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=436490
    (just ditch the passengers:D :D:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just an idea - how about getting an old Land Rover for your hunting and keep your normal car for the commute. If you get a Land Rover >30 years old it counts as a classic car so tax and insurance will be a pittance and no NCT is needed. It would be very simple for servicing but I'm not sure how good the parts avaiability is.

cheers for the input lads i am just putting out feelers at the mo anyway to see whats out there.

as i said i know what i want is very tough but if i do the research right i might get a decent compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

BrianD3 wrote:
    Just an idea - how about getting an old Land Rover for your hunting and keep your normal car for the commute. If you get a Land Rover >30 years old it counts as a classic car so tax and insurance will be a pittance and no NCT is needed. It would be very simple for servicing but I'm not sure how good the parts avaiability is.
    I was thinking of suggesting the same thing, but would opt for an early 90 or 110, as you get the benefit of coil springs and (front) disc brakes.
    You'd still get into the classic insurance (110s came out in 1983, 90s in 1984), but not the classic tax, but a commercial (pick-up or van body) only costs €253 to tax, plus a DOE test. I'd see the test as a good way of keeping the thing in some sort of good order :D

There is a huge industry manufacturing and supplying parts/spares for pretty much every Land-Rover ever built, with perhaps the exception of some of the very early Series I models:
    http://www.dls-uk.co.uk/
    http://www.paddockspares.com/
    http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/

BrianD3 wrote:

best suggestion yet.. get a 91 disco and you can join the club in louth.. i think it's louth anyway! I have a mate that does it for a 4x4 in a boat yard. Insurance cost 300 per year a yearly sub of 50 and commercial tax 250 unlimited mileage.. i could look further into it if you want. Alternativley what about a 2ltr santa fe comm? economical and 4x4..

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Hi Vegeta
    I off-roaded in Australia for 3 days in one of these double cab hilux's

couldnt fault it. it took a bit of a hammering and got us out of some very deep soft sand no bother when others had to dig their way out. alot of the driving was done in second gear and some in high range which red lined the revs. it took it well
    go fo the basic spec and you will have no trouble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Vegeta wrote:
    to be honest i want the impossible and i know it.

great miles to the gallon (40+), ok off road, and the ability to carry passangers

How about an Audi Allroad. Easy on fuel (relatively) Good ground clearance, 5 seats and a huge boot!
    Pricey though!!!

If you really want a 4x4, does it have to be a pick up? What about a LWB landcruiser? Tax is high at 1100e but they are easy enough on diesel. Driven right they easily top 30-33mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

If your after a pick up,the nissan navara is easily the best in its class,its faster,more economical,higher specced,more spacious/practical,is more car like to drive and looks slicker than any other pick up in its class. Its a little more expensive than its competitors but its worth it.

The Hilux is well built and will probably last forever but it has an antiquated 2.5 diesel engine,if you have to have a Hilux import the 3.0 diesel. I think that west end motors (www.4x4.ie) in mullingar import them. If I was in the market for a new 4x4 I'd probably buy a Landcruiser but if I had to have a pick up it'd be a navara.

keep the ideas coming lads, the landrover idea is a good one actually. I could probably pick one up for an ok price.

I am going to ask a question but it is important to note this is not my only consideration i am just asking to see if what i want exists.

My corolla currently gives me 39-40mpg so is there an off road vehicle capable of 40mpg????? This is a completely niave question on my part sorry. its just decent diesel cars can do 55mpg and up so i thought a decent jeep might manage 40

again the change over/purchase probably wont happen for about 1 year or so

You WILL NOT GET 40mpg out of any 4x4.. Trust me. And as somebody said earlier you'll get 30/33mpg if you drive it handy.. again trust me... you WILL NOT get that unless you free wheel and drive like a nun.. and then whats the point in having a robust chunky 4x4 for then.. Just accept high mpg and choose the jeep you want try it for a year and sell it on if you have to.. My money is on the landcruiser or if new the nissan pathfinder.. beautiful machine. I know a terrano comm 00' for cash price 8k with 57k and f/service history going at the moment.. cbg.ie have a look.. very good value for entry level 4x4.

The TD Vitara, Rav-4, Santa-Fe will all get good mpg. A lot better than any of the proper 4x4's... By that I mean the Landcruiser, Disco, defender etc.
    The Vitara Santa-Fe and Rav-4 are "softroaders" as opposed to offroaders. They have ok handling, and are very car like inside. Mpg on them should easily top 40mpg.

If fuel economy is important, stay away from anything over 2l.
    While not my choice, it's hard to beat the value of the Santa-Fe.
    Personally, I hope to change my 3.0TD Hilux Surf for a 96-97 Landcruiser VX 4.2TD. I have no need for something that size, but I just love them!!!

Ahemm ...slight protest here ...

The Suzuki Vitara (the old model) is defintely no "soft roader" ...it has selectable 4WD and a transfer case.

And on my Jimny I get 8.5 l/ 100 km on a short commute and 7.0l/100 km long distance (thats 33 / 40 mpg respectively http://www.eforecourt.com/l_100km_mpg_convert.htm) ..it just doesn't do the "carry passengers" bit that well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

The TD Vitara, Rav-4, Santa-Fe will all get good mpg. A lot better than any of the proper 4x4's... By that I mean the Landcruiser, Disco, defender etc.
    The Vitara Santa-Fe and Rav-4 are "softroaders" as opposed to offroaders. They have ok handling, and are very car like inside. Mpg on them should easily top 40mpg.

If fuel economy is important, stay away from anything over 2l.
    While not my choice, it's hard to beat the value of the Santa-Fe.
    Personally, I hope to change my 3.0TD Hilux Surf for a 96-97 Landcruiser VX 4.2TD. I have no need for something that size, but I just love them!!!

I dont thnk the Vitara Rav4 or sante fe is what hes looking for. There all continous 4wd. The Toyota Hilux or landcruiser or isuzu trouper will get you out of all most and pickle off road. From what i hear though all those big 4 wheels drives have real hard suspensions, and i met a guy last week with a an ISUZU d MAx, with a constant weight bolted in the bakc of the cab to make the car more comfortable to drive LOL!!
    saw it with my own 2 eyes!.
    I tihnk the post above regarding an older Landrover Defender. might work out well, but god its hard to get a good one,. ull have to search for it in england id say..

• Advertisement

yeah my dream of having an all in one vehicle for work and play is going out the window.

I could take the hit on tax but the fuel economy is quite important. Ah well maybe if i get a crazy raise at work or something.

Man i cant believe the fuel economy of all 4x4 vehicles is so bad compared to big diesel cars. The mondeo and passat diesel engines are very economic but then again jeeps are generally a lot heavier so what was i thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

tred wrote:
    From what i hear though all those big 4 wheels drives have real hard suspensions, and i met a guy last week with a an ISUZU d MAx, with a constant weight bolted in the bakc of the cab to make the car more comfortable to drive LOL!!
    saw it with my own 2 eyes!.

Thats because all pick ups have leaf springs as their rear suspension,it allows for a greater carrying capacity but causes a far more bumpy ride unless you have a load in the back. You wouldnt have that problem with most 4x4s its just the ones with rear leaf springs.

If you can afford it go for a Landcruiser,its the best affordable 4x4 in passenger and commercial guise. But if a pick up is your thing try the Nissan Navara.

stay hardcore.. thing it's agreed landcruiser or navara.. none of this nancy boy jimmy stuff.. SUV's and trolley dollies.

do it! sure all ya can do is sell it on!

peasant wrote:
    Ahemm ...slight protest here ...

The Suzuki Vitara (the old model) is defintely no "soft roader" ...it has selectable 4WD and a transfer case.

And on my Jimny I get 8.5 l/ 100 km on a short commute and 7.0l/100 km long distance (thats 33 / 40 mpg respectively http://www.eforecourt.com/l_100km_mpg_convert.htm) ..it just doesn't do the "carry passengers" bit that well

Yeah, I was talking about the newer version. The old (swb) Vitara is immensely capable offroad.

I don't like them myself, but if you want big space, 5 seats, decent economy and the ability to do a little offroading, then it's hard to beat a Santa-Fe.

But...........Spend 16-18k on a good VX landcruiser 4.2, fcuk the fuel economy and have a monster 4x4!!!!!

I've been thinking of a 4.5 petrol LC VX with a gas conversion. Plenty of them in the UK. Bringing it over as a commercial to save on VRT and road tax.

I've been thinking of a 4.5 petrol LC VX with a gas conversion. Plenty of them in the UK. Bringing it over as a commercial to save on VRT and road tax.
    Be aware that in order to register and tax a 'station wagon' type vehicle as a commercial, you'll now have to remove the rear seats and seatbelts, and disable the seatbelt mounts by welding them up.
    The VRT people/county councils have recently gotten very strict on this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Are crewbuses ie 6 seater transits commercial or passenger?

SGKM wrote:
    Thats because all pick ups have leaf springs as their rear suspension,it allows for a greater carrying capacity but causes a far more bumpy ride unless you have a load in the back.
    The only exception to this (afaik), is the Land-Rover 90/110. They've got coils all round.
    That said, the rear springs in a 110 pick-up are pretty darn solid.

Early OPW/ESB/etc 110s are out there in the €2-4000 region, if you don't mind middling/tatty bodywork and loads of miles on the clock. They'll all need some remedial work in order to pass the DOE test, but it'd be nothing a fairly competent amateur mechanic couldn't tackle.
    Be very wary of UK/NI ones, as the chassis and bulkheads suffer badly in the road salt they slather liberally throughout the winters.

Advertisement