Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a poem for a wedding?

Options
  • 27-07-2006 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

One of my best mates is getting married next Friday. A while back I told his fiancé I’d like to write a poem for them and read it at their reception. She was delighted. A little while later my other best mate said he was planning on doing the same thing (we’d be the two out of the bunch who would’ve been into that most in the past so I guess we both separately thought it would be a good fit).

Bride then told me she had me down for a poem in the church and my mate down for the reception. Anyone who knows us both well would know this was a bad call as my mate is a Catholic and has a more old-fashioned style which would be well suited to a church, whereas I’m a non-believer and would have a more irreverent style suited to the reception. I’ve tried getting it swapped without making a big deal out of it but no joy.

So I tried writing a poem suited to a church environment but just couldn’t do it. To get me out of this hole I’m thinking that finding a suitable existing poem and reading it in the church would be appropriate. Any suggestions for a poem that would be suitable at a wedding ceremony would be much appreciated. The couple are both very pragmatic, driven people so I don’t want anything too corny, but am open to any helpful suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 reading club

How about something from Neruda...beautiful but not corny...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Read them the lyrics from The Doors song "Turn out the Lights".

Alternatively you can quote them my custom written poem for the occasion:

Ding Dong, now you're gone,
    Off the market, run along,
    To family life, forever together,
    Popping offspring like popcorn.

Ding Dong, where has she gone?
    Oh here she is, by my side,
    Hand in hand, to fill my life,
    I choose you to be my wife.

Ding Dong, what's that bell?
    Echo's from my wedding day
    In my head ringing now,
    A little ditty for my wedding vow.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Was at wedding last week and there was a lovely poem on the back of the mass booklet - will check at home and post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Okay - it was at the front not the back - anyway:

Thank You

I love you, not only for what you are.
    But for what I am when I am with you.
    Love you , not only for what you have made of yourself,
    but for what you are making of me.

I love you for the part of me, that you bring out:
    for passing over the many foolish and weak things you find in me,
    and for drawing out into the light all the beautiful things
    only you could find in me.

You have done more for me than any creed,
    you made me feel my own goodness.

And all this you have done
    With your touch, with your words, with yourself.

Thank you.

That's it - don't know who wrote it. There was another poem at the back but it might not be to everyone's taste. Again, don't know who wrote it. You could also try the forums on weddingsonline.ie - you might get some ideas there.

Marriage is a Promise

A marriage is a promise
    That two hearts gladly make
    a promise to be tender
    to help, to give and take.
    A marriage is a promise
    to be kind and understanding.
    To be thoughtful and considerate
    fair and undemanding.
    A marriage is a promise
    to share one life together
    a love filled promise meant