Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Winder Windows to Electric's

Options
  • 27-07-2006 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Looking at a few carina's (again) most of them seem to be xli's the base model with no extra's except p/s and c/l, and i would really like to get one with e/w front and rear cause i've a pain in my hat rolling and unrolling the windows in my current mode of transport (the Arosa) anywho how complex would it be to change the windows around to elec's? not so much the task of fitting them more, the electrics side of things i know most cars have optional block connectors that are left spare for just such as a situation, or would i have to put a new loom in each door?

Thanks

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It can be done - AFAIK there are kits for each make and model (or at least there used to be). Companies like RM Distribution, AutoGlaze, Cartronics used to do this sort of thing.

You wont need a new loom - simply add the new wires to the existing loom with cable ties or textile adhesive tape.

Its a simple enough conversion - a motor is placed behind the panel that turns the spindle that connects to the manual crank arm that you currently use. The crank arm is removed and a blank trim piece is inserted. In some cases a new window lifter mechanism is fitted - it depends on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Volvoboy wrote:
    Looking at a few carina's (again) most of them seem to be xli's the base model with no extra's except p/s and c/l, and i would really like to get one with e/w front and rear cause i've a pain in my hat rolling and unrolling the windows in my current mode of transport (the Arosa) anywho how complex would it be to change the windows around to elec's? not so much the task of fitting them more, the electrics side of things i know most cars have optional block connectors that are left spare for just such as a situation, or would i have to put a new loom in each door?

Thanks

-VB-

As crosstownk said it can be done but alot of trouble and effort. If you go for the 1996 onwards facelifted Carina E it will have electric front windows and mirrors as standard:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=476645
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=475134
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=466769

If you can afford a 1.8 litre then have a look at the much better equipped UK import Carina or Jap import called the Corona:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=474648
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=389986

Better still if you can afford it get the much better Avensis for similar money:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=475608
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=447706
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=475608

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

main reason i'd go for the Xli is the insurance is cheaper on the Xli than the Gli
    i was more the elec side, i'll prob get new regelators in the scrappy. didn't know they had elecs in the 1996 Xli's, if i dont get post '96 then i'll switch them around , working with a budget of 2k-2.5k have my heart set on a carina, always liked them, also whats the fuel eco on one of them, i'll be going from donaghmede to ballyfermot every day for the next 5 mths.

Volvoboy wrote:
    main reason i'd go for the Xli is the insurance is cheaper on the Xli than the Gli
    i was more the elec side, i'll prob get new regelators in the scrappy. didn't know they had elecs in the 1996 Xli's, if i dont get post '96 then i'll switch them around , working with a budget of 2k-2.5k have my heart set on a carina, always liked them, also whats the fuel eco on one of them, i'll be going from donaghmede to ballyfermot every day for the next 5 mths.

Strange that insurance on the XLi and GLi is different as at this stage the only difference is slightly better spec. The GLi was also available in 1.6 litre on the Irish market at the same time. The facelifted Carina E appeared in 1996 when the XLi was replaced with the SLi which got colour coded bumpers, new front grill, twin air bags, electric front windows, electric mirrors and remote central locking.

The 1997 - 2000 Avensis was basically a heavily reworked Carina E using the same platform and lean burn engines. They added new gearboxes alright afaik as this was a weakness in the Carina E. The lean burn engine in both the Carina and Avensis are very economical and durable. It will not set the road on fire but will return good mpg. These are well able for 250k+ miles.

The Avensis will also have the benefit of having a more reinforced shell and ABS as standard. Surely most insurance companies would see these as a bonus over the older Carina.

what would the diffrences be between the Sli and the Gli?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

You could go to the scrappy and buy 4 door cards with the electrics. Grey is pretty much the colour for all of them so it shouldn't be hard to find matching upholstery!

The differences between the Carina and Avensis hardly warranted the name change!

Volvoboy wrote:
    what would the diffrences be between the Sli and the Gli?

GLi had velour seats, rear electric windows, electric sunroof and rear factory fitted boot spoiler. The GLi was also available with a 2.0 litre petrol engine.

thanks for the help folks i'll let you jnow how i get on

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As maidhc said, the stuff you need should be easily gotten from a good breakers yard. This stuff doesn't tend to give trouble in toyotas, so finding a good set should be handy enough.

maidhc wrote:
    The differences between the Carina and Avensis hardly warranted the name change!

Toyota's reasoning at the time afaik was that the Avensis was the first Toyota to be totally designed and built for the European market in Europe. Pure marketing imo as they didn't want to associate it with the Carina anymore which was a really slow seller across Europe.

The Carina E started life off being built in Japan for about 2 years before production started in the UK in 1994 afaik.

I read recently that they are doing the same now with the Corolla name. The next Corolla size car will no longer carry the Corolla name in Europe. They want to give the new car a more youthful image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote:
    GLi had velour seats, rear electric windows, electric sunroof and rear factory fitted boot spoiler. The GLi was also available with a 2.0 litre petrol engine.

The SLi model was the 1996-1997 run out model, had 2 electric windows, elec sunroof, colour coded bumpers, elec mirrors. central locking.

colm_mcm wrote:
    The SLi model was the 1996-1997 run out model, had 2 electric windows, elec sunroof, colour coded bumpers, elec mirrors. central locking.

Don't know about the sunroof as a neighbour of mine had one of these years ago and it didn't have one but wasn't there also a GLi (1.6/1.8) and a GLi Executive (2.0) model?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

It's an easy enough job, as the other posters said, just pick up the door cards and elec regulators from a scrappy. You could possible have the wiring loom plugs in the footwells. You might need to make up your own wiring though. Shouldn't be to big a deal.
    Failing that, you can get full kits on ebay and its just a two wire hook up.

bazz26 wrote:
    Don't know about the sunroof as a neighbour of mine had one of these years ago and it didn't have one but wasn't there also a GLi (1.6/1.8) and a GLi Executive (2.0) model?

GLi was available form 1992 but didn't have electric windows, just central locking and upgraded trim. think it got upgraded when the XLi got central locking

lots of UK imports about. the message being: Dont bother upgrading a XLi

The only reason i'm bothering to do this is the insurance, much more expensive on the Gli as insurance goes (19yo 1.6 car provisional licence) for 1800Euro on the Xli rather then 2300 on the GLi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Get a reason from the robbers. Argue it's the same engine. Aslo try get a 96/7 so you don't get loaded for the car being more than 10 years old or is it 15 these days.Just get a quote for a 1.6 Carina

My granny had an xli between 93/97 and had no trouble except the stereo being robbed 4 times and the dash ripped out one of those times.

Spec was poor (had c/l) but the 323 that followed was more poorly specced and my grandad regrets getting rid the Carina but if you don't keep trading you eventually end lumbered with a car you don't want anymore that nobody wants

colm_mcm wrote:
    GLi was available form 1992 but didn't have electric windows, just central locking and upgraded trim. think it got upgraded when the XLi got central locking

Are you sure about that Colm?

My father had an old Carina II back in 1991 and it had central locking. I drove a Carina E XLi once and it had central locking. The black bumpers however were terrible. I remember sitting in the GLi model in the Toyota showroom and it had electric windows. Very rare but there were a few around at the time.

The E XLi always had central locking. the II GL didn't until 91 and it was only in liftback too IIRC. We had a 1990 II and the only "extra" it had was a rev counter

bazz26 wrote:
    Are you sure about that Colm?

My father had an old Carina II back in 1991 and it had central locking. I drove a Carina E XLi once and it had central locking. The black bumpers however were terrible. I remember sitting in the GLi model in the Toyota showroom and it had electric windows. Very rare but there were a few around at the time.

Last of the Carina II models had central locking, but start of Carina E XLi didn't - If I remember correctly it got it later.
    The GLi definately didn't have leccie windows standard at launch. it did have colour coded exterior handles mirrors and bumpers though. again, spec upgrades were done later.

the E never had colour coded handles. one of the few cars that such a drawback didn't wreck

• Advertisement
Advertisement