Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Dining in Galway

Options
  • 27-07-2006 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Where would you choose to eat out in Galway?

Discovered a new reatauraunt on Dominic Street a few weeks ago called Abalone, where the policy is "you don't leave hungry"! Not the cheapest, but your dinner comes with veg :D (something that has been p1ssing me off for years, the fact that you have to pay a veg supplement!), and there are nice touches like a duck liver pate before the starter, and a champagne sorbet between the starter and main course, both as part of the meal! Also, the bread is home made, and everything is cooked fresh.

I had the veal, which was the size of the plate; my mother had the lamb, which was mouth watering; my father had the steak, which was fantastic; and my g/f had the scallops, which were delicious, but another one or two would've been nice:o . None of had a starter, and none of us could fit dessert!

Main courses ran from €19 - €29, and the whole bill with a bottle of wine was about €125. Might sound expensive, but the food was top notch, the service was excellent, and the place was pristine clean. The pate and sorbet were the real finishing touches, though:p .

Can only recommend it highly. It's a small place (only 20 seats) and, unlike a lot of places, they haven't crammed in extra tables; they leave a bit of space, giving an airy feel and unhurried atmosphere to it:) .

Anyone else have other recommendations?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

ShnackBox from Scuttermacs in eyre square at half 3 on a friday night after 10 pints. Thats fine dining my friend:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 emma-ry-ah

I've been back home in Galway for the last few weeks and everywhere I've gone out has been a huge disappointment...

I've heard that Park House is doing good food these days, also I was in the Spanish Arch drinking and all the food looked and smelled lovely so I'll be trying there.

On a lesser note - Brunch at the living room is quality. I only get the mini one and its served with wedges and toast and tea. Great value @ €7 or something like that, maybe €6 I cant remember. Their only downfall is they only serve black pudding and not white.... makes no sense!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i delvier veg and stuf all round galway(helper boy) and have to say huntesman gets the most off us and so does these geta lot kirbys,malt house,park house so would say they all do good buis.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Set course in Kashmir, €25 a pop and worth it imo.
    Or the italian up on Forster Court corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I actually think Mac Swiggans foo is fantastic...although the pub is pure poo now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Eastern Tandoori for good indian, and PanTai in Salthill - very good food, and a bit more unusual...

Oscars (Dominick Street) does great food, and has fantastic service - but is a little more expensive...

apart from that, I find that a lot of restaurants are pure rip-off these days...bad service, overpriced meals, poor quality...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Senorita Maria's (?) and Bob's Steakhouse both near Mixers are fine for cheap meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah steak house is meant to be savage uncle went there with his GF for valentines day he gave it the thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Oscars is top notch but expensive, but you have to try it. The last time I was there I was saying to myself "There is something I was supposed to remember from my last visit here". I forgot what it was until they brought out my starter.........it was huge. Thats what I forgot -> skip the starter if you want to finish your main course. The Main Course comes on a huge plate like the sort of one you would see a whole Xmas Turkey served on.
    I think I will start making hints to my misses to bring me there for me B'day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

Kebab house across from Clan!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Curry cheese chips at Kebab House.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

****in a! damn right half pound cheese burger and large curry cheese chip with a bit of garlic on it, Kebab house all the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Eastern Tandori, Class for Food and Service.
    Park House, always reliable,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I ate in Morgans for the first time ever a few days ago, great place!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

thai garden for great chuck
    oscars FTW. chillie prawn samba for the most outragous presentation. 2 foot tall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I actually think Mac Swiggans foo is fantastic...although the pub is pure poo now...

Ya, ive been there a few times and have not been disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Fey! wrote:
    Discovered a new reatauraunt on Dominic Street a few weeks ago called Abalone,

where is it? Near oscars. i live on dominick street. must be blind

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I went with some friends for Sunday lunch in Padraicins, Furbo.
    Had the Chicken Kiev, it was fantastic! My mouth is watering just thinking about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Guest

I lived in galway most of my life and I still do not get tired of going to Mc donaghs sea food restaurent, Too good to describe! Also the Twelve pins is a Nice place..Great service, Or Stay at Lannagins steak house, Cannot beat a good steak. Anyone ever been to these places? What did you think of them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Donellys in Barna 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Aye, Donnelly's is good, been there a few times for some family-type things over the years, never been disappointed.

O'Riordains on Quay St. do a good nosh too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

I have eaten in a fair few places in galway in the past few years...

breakkie in o riordans is top notch...esp. the scrambled eggs with salmon...its fine hangover food!

one of my best gastronimc experiences was in the galway bay hotel in salthill where my parents was staying last summer...massive restaurant, albeit a bit noisy when full, but the wine list was both budget and daring..the food top. My da had the kangaroo meat, which IMHO was one of the nicest meats i have tasted, served with a more savoury figs and honey sauce...while i had the vennison, stunning in a simple garlic butter! All in all not too expensive in the surroundings and for the food you get!

In town itself, I had a great delight of eating in KC blakes, great starters, great not too pompous mains, good decent wine list, and just above budget prices (40 for main and starter each!)

other than that - one of my personal faves - BK's wine bar - great, no scrap that fecking brill choice of only, i mean only, no chips here, French food, yuum cheese, meat plates, and just the top wine - if you go in there just for a drink get the red from nimes (and your bird will love you forever!)

f**k me i am hungry now!

sinus wrote:
    I have eaten in a fair few places in galway in the past few years...

breakkie in o riordans is top notch...esp. the scrambled eggs with salmon...its fine hangover food!

one of my best gastronimc experiences was in the galway bay hotel in salthill where my parents was staying last summer...massive restaurant, albeit a bit noisy when full, but the wine list was both budget and daring..the food top. My da had the kangaroo meat, which IMHO was one of the nicest meats i have tasted, served with a more savoury figs and honey sauce...while i had the vennison, stunning in a simple garlic butter! All in all not too expensive in the surroundings and for the food you get!

In town itself, I had a great delight of eating in KC blakes, great starters, great not too pompous mains, good decent wine list, and just above budget prices (40 for main and starter each!)

other than that - one of my personal faves - BK's wine bar - great, no scrap that fecking brill choice of only, i mean only, no chips here, French food, yuum cheese, meat plates, and just the top wine - if you go in there just for a drink get the red from nimes (and your bird will love you forever!)

f**k me i am hungry now!

well pick up a tin of beans on the way home and a few spuds and i'll cook ya chicken kiev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

How has nobody mentioned Da Robertas (Salthill) yet?

Nicest place I've eaten in the county...just go to the one closer to the sea, as their chef is better apparently (can't say for sure, as following that advice I've never actually gone to the other).

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I hear the White Gables is ment to be one of the best places to eat. Its a bit out - but aparantly its worth it.

I have eaten in Donnelly's a few times - and it is usually good - but i did have a dodgy dinner in there once. But I would still go back.

Good Indian down by the Sex shop - forget the name of it! But everyone knows where THE sex shop is - right!

Keedowah wrote:
    Good Indian down by the Sex shop - forget the name of it! But everyone knows where THE sex shop is - right!

which one? there are many ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

'Tulsi' isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Fobia wrote:
    How has nobody mentioned Da Robertas (Salthill) yet?

Nicest place I've eaten in the county...just go to the one closer to the sea, as their chef is better apparently (can't say for sure, as following that advice I've never actually gone to the other).

Absolutely. Don't go to the wrong one. Great authentic Italian. Nice people too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Charcoal Grill always hits the spot, regardless of time of day... the burgers and kebebs are too DIE for!!!!

Nyom!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

For quality pub food my recommendation would be The Forge in Moycullen. Lovely modern place had chicken ceasar salad there one of the nicest I have ever tasted.

Advertisement