Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marking scheme in Ireland

Options
  • 27-07-2006 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but i thoughti might as well..
    My question is how does the marking scheme work in Ireland?
    what i mean is that i ve bein 3 years already in college in Dit and i got the impression that they just give marks up to about lets say 70-80 but i ve never heard of anyone getting more than that , considering the scale goes up to 100.
    I asked once this question to a lecturer of mine and he said that in Ireland they think it would be unfair to give 100 to someone in respect to the rest of the class.
    Im not too sure if this is right or wrong, but i certainly wasnt too impressed
    especially because since im from Italy i know that over there people do get 30/30 in their exams and 110/110 in their degrees and if i would have to go back there with my 66/100 ( which here i was told its pretty good , at least in my faculty) they would probably laugh at me.
    I would like to hear ur impressions on this
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

What subject are you studying?

It would be possible in theory to get 100 in something like accounting, but in other subjects, like marketing, it is practically impossible. i mean what is the perfect answer to a question like 'Create a marketing campaign for such and such a company'.

The way i see it, just shift your own mind set so that if you get between 70 and 80, your doing very well. Remember that on your degree it wont mention your results, but the level of the degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I think it's just an aul curve, so the differance between 70 and 80 is much greater then the differance between 40 and 50 etc. The higher up you get, the harder it is to earn those extra points.
    And yeah, it's more about the 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd then %s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

i study chemistry .
    i know there are essay type of questions which dont have a definite answer.
    my point was mainly that it would be a bit dodgy to go abroad with a mark considered good over here and crap over there.
    i suppose its better not to mention any % and stick to 1st ,2.1 as u say

Advertisement