Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun smith in the Clare area

Options
  • 27-07-2006 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

need some work done on a rifle, anyone know of a gunsmith in the Clare area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Check out previous issues of the Irish shooters digest, Cal wards column makes several references to a gunsmith in Claire, German I believe, he probably has the contact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

thanks for the help lads

My brother has bought a new scope for his rifle and we were trying to mount it the other day. Due to the size of the objective lense and the mount positions the scope would not fit due to the iron sight on the barrel. We tried removing the screws/iron sight but we destroyed 3 cheap srew drivers in the process, the screw is in way too tight for us to remove so we need assistance.

One of my brothers is a plumber and the other is a mechanic so we aren't green round a screw driver its just that bad boy is really welded in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

You just need higher mounts for the scope.

jaycee wrote:
    You just need higher mounts for the scope.

surely mounts are more expensive than a trip to the gunsmith to persuade a stubborn screw out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

yeah and you want the scope mounted as low as possible anyway

• Advertisement

surely mounts are more expensive than a trip to the gunsmith to persuade a stubborn screw out

Agreed .. but better than screwing up a nice rifle. :(
    If you get see through mounts you can still use the original sights , a nice backup option.

What rifle is it anyway ...?

jaycee wrote:
    Agreed .. but better than screwing up a nice rifle. :(
    If you get see through mounts you can still use the original sights , a nice backup option.

What rifle is it anyway ...?

its a sako 75 hunter. The rear iron sight is meant to be easliy removable anyway its just 2 screws. One of them is just stuck fast.

They can be put back on any time

its a sako 75 hunter. The rear iron sight is meant to be easliy removable anyway its just 2 screws. One of them is just stuck fast.

Nice gun..

It's probably been put in with thread lock , try heating it .. (With a hair dryer) ..it will probably open then .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

dbar wrote:
    ...Cal wards column makes several references to a gunsmith in Claire, German I believe, ...
    :rolleyes:
    Bloody Germans, coming over taking our women!

:D:D:D

jaycee wrote:
    Nice gun..

It's probably been put in with thread lock , try heating it .. (With a hair dryer) ..it will probably open then .

its worth a try anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

You are looking for Ralf Niebauer[?]He is based somwhere around the O Callaghans Mills area in Clare.Ring or Email Cal Ward and he will give you his phone number,I had it but lost it. Ralf is an exellent riflesmith,but very teutonic in his outlook,or so I am led to belive by those who have dealt with him.
    Edit after reading your problem.
    There is a way of sorting this problem out of a dodgey screw.It is very ugly,and will require a new screw.You need avice and a well fitting screw driver for the stubborn screw.Dissamble the rifle as much as possible so it fits into a large machineists vice.Cut off the handle of the screwdriver and get a good nut welded onto it's end.Pad up well,the rifle barrel and place in vice,along with the new screwdriver sitting in the opposite jaw,so when the jaws close the screwdriver is sitting in on the screw head/slot .Pressure together,andthen use a spanner to turn the nut in the direction of loosening the screw.It helps to also soak the screw overnite with either penetrating oil,brake fluid or Coke.Try this in the AM and it should loosen no problem 24 hours later.Also DO NOT use cheap screwdrivers on a gun!!!! Knock yourself out and buy a Chapman set of gunsmith screwdriver bits and ratchet set ,its like $25 ,and well worth it.NEVER use the gunsmith screwdrivers for anything else.Nothing worse than marred screw heads on a gun.

Clare Gunner,
    Can you explain "but very teutonic in his outlook"?
    Did a search and found teutonic Knights and a few more bits but I'm curious as to what it means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

My way of saying he has a very German outlook and way of doing things.
    Being a third German myself,it means doing it properly,correctly and as laid down in zer rules und zats it.Zer vill be no discussions or zer taking of der shortcuts in werk.:D :D
    IOW you will get a proper job done,but maybe not by the most friendliest[seemingly at first]personality.Thats speaking as a somwhat German about the German race in general,not about one paticular person.:) :D

My way of saying he has a very German outlook and way of doing things.
    Being a third German myself,it means doing it properly,correctly and as laid down in zer rules und zats it.Zer vill be no discussions or zer taking of der shortcuts in werk.:D :D
    IOW you will get a proper job done,but maybe not by the most friendliest[seemingly at first]personality.Thats speaking as a somwhat German about the German race in general,not about one paticular person.:) :D

well my bro got his gun back and its spot on, 25 euro for the job and the guy was A1 according to my bro.

Complemented my brother on the quality of the gun but did give out to him for not cleaning it more regularly.:D

OK,
    I got a small confession to make, I am actually dealing with Ralf on a rifle project, I saw the posting but Ralf asked me not to post his contact details on the net, so I referred to Cal where I got the number as well.
    I would have to say IMHO, that Ralf is one of the most knowledgeable persons that I have ever spoken to when it comes to Rifles.
    Not only that, he is great to sit down to talk the issue out, the man is never in a hurry, a rare thing today.
    He is building me an F class rifle based on a Swedish Mauser. He spent six months sourcing a rifle with the correct tolerences on the chamber and bore alone.
    Actually he got one in, wasnt happy with it and wouldnt use it.
    I have nothing but good things to say about Ralf and would have no hesitation in recommending him.
    BTY, he is married to a french woman, so claire is safe!

dbar wrote:
    OK,
    I got a small confession to make, I am actually dealing with Ralf on a rifle project, I saw the posting but Ralf asked me not to post his contact details on the net, so I referred to Cal where I got the number as well.
    I would have to say IMHO, that Ralf is one of the most knowledgeable persons that I have ever spoken to when it comes to Rifles.
    Not only that, he is great to sit down to talk the issue out, the man is never in a hurry, a rare thing today.
    He is building me an F class rifle based on a Swedish Mauser. He spent six months sourcing a rifle with the correct tolerences on the chamber and bore alone.
    I have nothing but good things to say about Ralf and would have no hesitation in recommending him.

Would have to say from what my brother says bout the guy I couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Looking to have custom rifle built and was wondering if someone had Ralfs details could they PM them to me please!! thanks lads

dbar wrote:
    OK,

Just wondering, if you dont mind, maybe you would like to talk to me via PM, but it was suggested to me, as ive said money was no object, to have a custom rifle built. So i was just wondering what sort of money i was talking here. Or maybe you could PM me Ralf's number and i could explain exactly what i have in mind myself??
    Thanks

newby.204,
    If you are thinking of a custom rifle, it is a good idea to talk to as many people as possible before handing out your hard earned cash.
    Some things to consider,

Do I REALLY need it? (i.e, would tricking up a factory job suffice?)
    What will its exact use be? (F class, Benchrest, etc) This determines accuracy and range requirements. Also feeds into calibre choice.

When I went to Ralf first, he told me to get a .22 and practice with that first, before moving on. Its a lot easier ( and cheaper!) to develop techniques and stuff like wind reading on a lower power rifle.

I was looking at this option myself, and decided on a half way house first.
    How do I PM you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

dbar wrote:
    How do I PM you?
    Left click on his username in the left column, and select 'Send a private message to newby.204'.

• Advertisement

dbar wrote:
    newby.204,
    If you are thinking of a custom rifle, it is a good idea to talk to as many people as possible before handing out your hard earned cash.
    Some things to consider,

Do I REALLY need it? (i.e, would tricking up a factory job suffice?)
    What will its exact use be? (F class, Benchrest, etc) This determines accuracy and range requirements. Also feeds into calibre choice.

When I went to Ralf first, he told me to get a .22 and practice with that first, before moving on. Its a lot easier ( and cheaper!) to develop techniques and stuff like wind reading on a lower power rifle.

I was looking at this option myself, and decided on a half way house first.
    How do I PM you?

I PM'd you back dfaf

Advertisement