Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Refund

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Same happened to the missus and the daughter booking a Ryanair flight. She put in the wrong month (the present month instead of 4 months later). I told her to ring straight away and just say that the confirmation page showed a different month than what she'd put in and there must be some technical problem on their side and that she'd definitely put in the right month when booking the flight. Anyhow the next day they changed it and she didn't get charged. I think at the end of the day she just bluffed the unfortunate person on the other end of the line, (who is probably in some sweaty call centre in India or somewhere) with her newly acquired technical know-how and assertiveness!.

Anyhow, is just isn't on for a company like Ryanair not to have a period where you are able to cancel or change flight details (maybe a few days) by which time you would have received your confirmation emails and can read through at your leisure and check that everything is right.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

fluffer wrote:
    They gave her a full refund minus about 15 euro. They said the insurance had already started and therefore couldnt be refunded. I rang the insurance company and they said no such thing. They had no objection to the refund.

I find that strange. Did she get it in writing ? When was the insurance going to start then .. ? Surely the point of travel insurance is to cover - inter-alia - inability by the passenger to travel due to death of a parent for example and therefore should be valid from the time you've paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'm talking about charging an admin fee which is the same as the tax back, that is a scam. How can it cost €30+ to process a tax back? They also charge per person, if there are 4 people on the same booking it should not cost 4 times the admin fee, what a joke

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=chg&quest=unusedflight
    €30 for any transaction that involves handling paper is quite modest. I've seen cost prices of €20-€50-€100+ for such transactions.

If you don't like their policies, don't buy the ticket. If you seek further consumer protection, expect the costs of this protection to be spread across ALL customers, those who do change their minds and those who don't change their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

So that is your attitude to everything in life then is it? Once a company makes a rule it is unquestionable?

If they're providing me with a service that's a fraction of what others charge for the same thing in some circumstances, then yes, they're entitled to set the rules.

No one else was doing it before them, and no one else can do it as well as they do since, so fair game.
    Do you think honestly think it is fair that a person who books a flight and subsequently decides for whatever reason that they are not going to take the flight should have to pay the landing fees and airport taxes to the airline even though the airport are not going to charge the airline these fees as the passenger is not taking the flight?

I never said it was fair/unfair that someone couldn't have their taxes etc repaid by Ryanair.

However, it is fair that the company charges for the service provided to refund that charge. They have to pay staff to answer you call, follow up on the charges, and make the payment back to you. These staff need to be paid.

Do you work for free?

fluffer wrote:
    The fact that Ryanair have a hugely disproportionate number of complaints doesnt seem to faze some.

Maybe it's because it's becoming one of the biggest and most popular airlines in the world. If people were really all that bothered (and didn't care about the low fares) they wouldn't used the airline.
    fluffer wrote:
    I cannot see how the consumer wouldnt benefit by european legislation to stop this from happening.

So basically you're calling for legislation to protect stupid or careless people from their own actions? Nice!!!
    fluffer wrote:
    No but it is downright dirty and dishonest business practice. No honour.

And a successful company that's profitable and acts with "honour" is????
    fluffer wrote:
    -I do-
    Or report their practices to your MEP and TD. Get the legislation that allows the consumer more freedoms.

Good for you then!!! Congratulations. Isn't it that freedom that we already have as airline users when the open skies policy was formulated years ago in Europe? Why do we need more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

30 for any transaction that involves handling paper is quite modest. I've seen cost prices of €20-€50-€100+ for such transactions.
    Yes but as somebody pointed out earlier, the fare may have been €4. They are then going to charge €30+ as an admin fee to reclaim taxes? They were perfectly happy to process an order for €4, but to reverse it costs €30? Real fair.
    So basically you're calling for legislation to protect stupid or careless people from their own actions? Nice!!!
    To stop all airlines from dissuading passengers from pursuing their rightful (returned) money through convoluted and unfair practice. Thats what I am calling for.
    And a successful company that's profitable and acts with "honour" is????
    Most of them to be fair. Ryanair and their ilk are renowned for customer dissatisfaction.
    sn't it that freedom that we already have as airline users when the open skies policy was formulated years ago in Europe? Why do we need more?
    No it isnt. Open skies was the dissolution of bilateral flight agreements within the EU. It essentially still exists through slots. And it exists beyond the EU borders. It does not cover passenger rights.
    Seperate legislation does. And it benefits consumers. I support new legislation coming soon to standardise the advertisement of fares within the EU, so passengers can judge competition more fairly. They also legislate for flights delayed or cancelled. I support the strengthening of such legislation to cover refunds also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ryanair led the way in Europe with low fares. Credit where its due. But they are probably the worst airline in the world. You have to accept that when you type www.ryanair.com into your address bar, be prepared for them to try make money off you in every way imaginable. If there's a grey area in the law about flight cancellation fees, trust me they will exploit it to its full revenue potential.

I used to work in the airport and had a lot of dealings with Ryanair and their passengers, they are just penny pinching down to every last detail and they are playing the game by their own rules. Anytime an authoritive source intervenes you see O' Learys big head on TV3 complaining that the Govt/Aer Lingus/DAA/whoever are conspiring to cause harm to his precious empire of s***

To the OP, unlikely you'll get the money back but as you probably know by now, its as much yer own fault for not double checking the details. I mean, you have to manually enter the dates you wish to fly, noone else to blame there.

There's also about 2-3 pages after that where the flight details are displayed on screen, you're saying you only realised after the 4th page that you booked wrong flights???! O Leary and Ryanair must love folks like you and your generous donations...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

I made a mistake with my flight details on the ryanair website last year and rang them straught away. The lady on the phone changed my flight details when I asked nicely. I know she didn't have to, so I was well chuffed.
    HOWEVER , after using Ryanair to fly to 'Barcelona' in February I decided I would only ever use them if flying to Stanstead.
    The return flight from Barcelona was at 2145 in the evening but we had to get the ryanair bus at 1800 in the north of Barcelona nowhere near the tourist areas. I really big inconvenience and arriving at the airort at 1900 their is absolutely nothing to do there. A packet of crisps and a coke was E4.50.
    Most of the customers were couples sharing one large suitcase per couple but Ryanair don't let you share. Everyone got charges at least E40 each. The old couple behind me had loads of presents for their grandchildren and were charged E100 for their luggage even though their combined weight wasn't over the limit. Me and my wife had rucsacs in our suitcase and took them out and stuffed in as much as we could. We were 500g over and for a minute I thought he was going to charge us. I read the check in staff get a commission on every kilo they charge people. please correct if I'm wrong. Also, I reckon most of these people were over a few kilos at Dublin on the outbound leg but weren't charged because Ryanair know 90% of the passengers were Irish people and will will have more luggage coming back.
    I think with all the extra charges and bus/taxi fares to get to Girona most people would have been better off using Aerlingus and actually flying to Barcelona instead of Girona.

fluffer wrote:
    To stop all airlines from dissuading passengers from pursuing their rightful (returned) money through convoluted and unfair practice. Thats what I am calling for.

You're totally missing the point. Ryanair are providing a service (the refund of taxes) and like any other company would do, they're charging for that service.

That's neither convoluted (can I have my taxes back? why yes sir, but there's a charge), nor is it unfair (they tell you up front). It's the business way of the world. Businesses provide services, and charge for them.

I'll ask again. Do you do work for your employer for free?
    fluffer wrote:
    Most of them to be fair. Ryanair and their ilk are renowned for customer dissatisfaction.

Do you count Aer Lingus in that? From their Help section on their website with regards to the refund of taxes on unused flights.
    A Refund Administration Fee of EUR 15.00 or equivalent per ticket will apply to each booking for tax refunds.

You probably have a problem with them as well. How about the worlds favourite airline, BA. From their Help section on refunding tickets and taxes.
    For restricted tickets (i.e. a ticket which is not refundable) where taxes only are refundable, the refund administration charge will be £30 per person, per ticket.

So this might be the policy of most airlines it would seem, given a sample of 3 companies all doing the same thing.

Why is it unfair and a scam because Ryanair does it?

I love this. People getting so upset because of stuff that's nothing to do with Ryanair at all.
    japanpaul wrote:
    HOWEVER , after using Ryanair to fly to 'Barcelona' in February I decided I would only ever use them if flying to Stanstead.
    The return flight from Barcelona was at 2145 in the evening but we had to get the ryanair bus at 1800 in the north of Barcelona nowhere near the tourist areas.

Ryanair don't fly to Barcelona. They fly to Girona, and after getting in trouble before, they say they fly to Girona (which may be handy for Barcelona). After that, it's up to you to work out how handy it might be.

I'm guessing that the "ryanair bus" you speak of isn't actually operated by Ryanair at all either. After having a look, surprise surprise, it's not.
    japanpaul wrote:
    Iand arriving at the airort at 1900 their is absolutely nothing to do there. A packet of crisps and a coke was E4.50.

Not Ryanairs fault either. They run an airline, not airports, or cafes or restaurants or shops in airports either. They provide flights not fizzy drinks.
    japanpaul wrote:
    Most of the customers were couples sharing one large suitcase per couple but Ryanair don't let you share.

Can you show us where it says this on the Ryanair terms and conditions? As far as I can see, the baggage allowance is 20kg per person - no mention of splitting across couples or anything like that.

They could have been pulling a fast one here, fair enough. Did anyone question them? Did anyone ask to see where this was in the terms and conditions of ticket purchase and travel?
    japanpaul wrote:
    I read the check in staff get a commission on every kilo they charge people.

Where did you read this? I'd be interested in reading this as well. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

rondjon, you don't post on pprune.com under the alias of Leo Hairy-Camel by any chance, do you?!!!

(it is believed on pprune.com that Leo Hairy-Camel is a senior member of Ryanair Management, possibly O'Leary himself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Peaches & Creme

Its unfair because unless you know what ryanair are renowned for it and anybody who hasnt flown with them before gets a nasty shock when flights are advertised as very cheap flights but them end up paying twice the amount for the flight and what about all the charges for extra bags????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

rondjon wrote:

So this might be the policy of most airlines it would seem, given a sample of 3 companies all doing the same thing.

Why is it unfair and a scam because Ryanair does it?

Just because they're all doing it doesn't mean it's not a scam. Though while AerLingus and BA quote the 'refund processing charge', Ryanair's website just says there is a charge, but doesn't tell you what it is.

They charge you at time of booking for taxes, which they presumably don't forward on until much later on. So they've already got the benefit of your money up front. Then if you don't fly with them, they make it pretty much impossible to get your money back.

It would actually be much fairer if taxes were'nt paid until check in, then airlines wouldn't have to worry about refunding them, but that's opening another can of worms.

I wish the airports would impose a similar rule on Ryanair and other airlines. The airline should have to pay airport taxes & charges up front. If passengers don't fly then the airline has to claim the tax back from the airport. The airport should charge an admin fee for claiming the taxes back, an admin fee which roughly equals the taxes that are due back!! We'd see then how loud the airlines bitch and moan if this rule was imposed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Ryanair do exactly what they say they are going to do. A lot of other airlines could learn from them tbh.

I've flown with them about 50 times in the last year. They were always phenomenally cheap, on-time, professional, and polite.

The only time i had a problem with them was because of something of my own doing (as per my earlier post on this thread).

Personally, i think their system makes perfect sense and is logical and easy-to-follow.

They do have some cringe-worthy moments that you read about in the papers, but by and large i'd say the silent majority are delighted with the service they offer.

Most of their bad publicity seems to stem from their no-union rule, and opponents of this no-union rule bad-mouthing them in the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Peaches & Creme

I have only one word for that BULL!! Everyone (except those who work for Ryanair) know we only fly with them for cheap flights not for the level of service!!!

rondjon, you don't post on pprune.com under the alias of Leo Hairy-Camel by any chance, do you?!!!

(it is believed on pprune.com that Leo Hairy-Camel is a senior member of Ryanair Management, possibly O'Leary himself)

That would be great! Although, probably too much to ask that someone from those exalted heights would have the free time to address individual complaints on a discussion board when they have circa 35 million customers a year to ferry about Europe!

I have only one word for that BULL!! Everyone (except those who work for Ryanair) know we only fly with them for cheap flights not for the level of service!!!

True, a lot of people say that. Although i was just giving my personal experience of receiving a great level of service from them! Maybe it isn't the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'm also happy with the Ryanair service. Given that I approach it like taking a bus or train, it compares well. You board, look out the window or read the paper until you arrive and then disembark.

What exactly is is people are looking for when they complain about the service? Cabin crew are fine, flight crew do the usual pleasantries about weather, route etc.

OK, I could do without the ads for Bullseye baggies and scratch cards, and the bright yellow interiors at 8am on a Monday morning, but apart from that what's the problem?

Its unfair because unless you know what ryanair are renowned for it and anybody who hasnt flown with them before gets a nasty shock when flights are advertised as very cheap flights but them end up paying twice the amount for the flight and what about all the charges for extra bags????

All these things are quoted in the terms and conditions which are available to you before you purchase the flight. If you're purchasing something without being aware of the conditions of travel, then it's just your tough luck, nothing unfair about it at all.

• Advertisement

Never heard of pprune.com, sorry. And apart from the fact that I own about 100 shares in them, I've nothing to do with Ryanair.com.

I use them infrequently.

So, you know up front that for your cheap flights you're going to get a service that you're not going to be happy with?

Now you're just being ridiculous.

You either take the flight, and put up with it, because you're getting what you expected.

Or if you don't want that kind of service, go elsewhere.

That's like going to watch Leyton Orient play matches and complain that they're not winning the Champions League. Your expectations are, in the main, set before you go, so you're only frustrating yourself by actually still complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ryanair are a low fares airline (no frills means NO FRILLS), simple as that. I don't see whats so hard to understand about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Although im enjoying the discussion i've managed to start here, its gone a little off topic. I'm not interested in frills, my initial complaint was that after realising my mistake i went to the contact page on Ryanair's site (within minutes) only to find that the phone line were all marked as "closed" on their site, and when i rang (twice that evening, 3 times the following day) the automated message said something along the line of "due to the fact that we are really busy with calls, we have taken our phone lines down. Please read out faq's on the site to see if you can get an answer to your query there". So how exactly was i supposed to contact them? There is no email contact so i literally had no way of getting in touch. And what kind of solution to the problem of too many calls is taking down the phone lines?? Thats unreal, its like saying the hospitals are too full so were knocking them down instead!

Shigsy wrote:
    my initial complaint was that after realising my mistake i went to the contact page on Ryanair's site (within minutes) only to find that the phone line were all marked as "closed" on their site, and when i rang (twice that evening, 3 times the following day) the automated message said something along the line of "due to the fact that we are really busy with calls, we have taken our phone lines down. Please read out faq's on the site to see if you can get an answer to your query there". So how exactly was i supposed to contact them? There is no email contact so i literally had no way of getting in touch. And what kind of solution to the problem of too many calls is taking down the phone lines?? Thats unreal, its like saying the hospitals are too full so were knocking them down instead!

Re. contacting websites that are selling online. Isn't one of the primary pieces of advice for making online purchases that one should always make sure that there are ways of contacting the people behind the website in case of problems?

Does the above mean that it's now technically unsafe to be purchasing things (flights!) from Ryanair.com? You wouldn't purchase electronics etc from a site that didn't have proper contact information.

Shigsy wrote:
    Although im enjoying the discussion i've managed to start here, its gone a little off topic. I'm not interested in frills, my initial complaint was that after realising my mistake i went to the contact page on Ryanair's site (within minutes) only to find that the phone line were all marked as "closed" on their site, and when i rang (twice that evening, 3 times the following day) the automated message said something along the line of "due to the fact that we are really busy with calls, we have taken our phone lines down. Please read out faq's on the site to see if you can get an answer to your query there". So how exactly was i supposed to contact them? There is no email contact so i literally had no way of getting in touch. And what kind of solution to the problem of too many calls is taking down the phone lines?? Thats unreal, its like saying the hospitals are too full so were knocking them down instead!
    Check these links out, you might be able to call one of those numbers to get through to Ryanair...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2749933&postcount=65

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2750337&postcount=68

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Check these links out, you might be able to call one of those numbers to get through to Ryanair...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2749933&postcount=65

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2750337&postcount=68

Thanks alot for the info, i will have a go at some of thos numbers.

Advertisement