Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pi$$ed off with Estate Agents!

Options
  • 27-07-2006 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all, have been trying to buy a house in dublin for about 12 months now... estate agents are a joke, its like shooting fish in a barrell for them at the moment, we are making it waaaaay too easy apparently. wish I could tell them what I thought of them but of course cant just in case I need them later. cant wait till the market slows down and they have to start doing some real work:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

qdor2 wrote:
    Hi all, have been trying to buy a house in dublin for about 12 months now... estate agents are a joke, its like shooting fish in a barrell for them at the moment, we are making it waaaaay too easy apparently. wish I could tell them what I thought of them but of course cant just in case I need them later. cant wait till the market slows down and they have to start doing some real work:mad:

I happen to know one. Firstly remember they work for the person they are selling the house for, they try get the best price for that vendor, so if someone is constantly outbid, this leads to frustration and often the agent is blamed. She leaves the house at 7.30am every morning and doesn't get back until 8pm, that's every day. She works damm hard and earns a very modest wage, very, to say the least. If you have an issue with one or two agents well thats something you should take up with them, but you shouldn't generalise about them all being a joke. The market is flooded with agents all trying to compete with each other, this has lead to reduced fees and a massive reduction in the amount of houses an agent gets on board, so it's the opposite, its bloody difficult. Listening to potential buyers annoyed at being outbid, vendors blaming them for slow solicitor work, houses falling through, time wasters looking for valuations etc. is not easy at all. Of course there is always in every walk of life an exception to the rule, but not all are a joke. I also know some one recently who decided to sell their house privately. So he settled on a price with someone. Because there was no agent everything took 6 months to close, of which in that time the house had substantially gone up, yes he didn't pay a fee, but lost out on at least €10K.

Advertisement