Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positives of Sligo?!

Options
  • 27-07-2006 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Since Muffler suggessted a thread with the positives of Sligo, I came up with a few...

1. The litter problem in Sligo has improved a bit, esp around the town (that is my view anyway!)
    2. Sligo has two lovely beaches- Strandhill (great for surfing!) and Rosses Point
    3. There HAS been some good development commercially with the retail park at Carraroe and Quayside shopping centre- these have brought a lot of big name retailers
    4. There is a 12 screen cinema in the centre of town
    5. There are 2 high quality third level colleges in Sligo which are always developing and offering a variety of courses
    6. The county has nice countryside, mountains and lakes- such as Benbulben, Knocknarea, Lough Gill, Hazelwood
    7. The county has some good history- W.B Yeats, Lisadell House, Sligo Abbey etc
    8. The county has some good golf courses such as Enniscrone
    9. The county has a few famous bands come out of it- Westlife, Conway Sisters, Tommy Fleming, Dervish
    10. There is a theatre in the centre of town, which puts on good shows- Hawkes Well

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

You forgot Rovers the North West’s finest

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Resistance wrote:
    Whats that , biscuits :confused:

Madge wrote:
    Since Muffler suggessted a thread with the positives of Sligo, I came up with a few...

1. The litter problem in Sligo has improved a bit, esp around the town (that is my view anyway!)
    2. Sligo has two lovely beaches- Strandhill (great for surfing!) and Rosses Point
    3. There HAS been some good development commercially with the retail park at Carraroe and Quayside shopping centre- these have brought a lot of big name retailers
    5. There are 2 high quality third level colleges in Sligo which are always developing and offering a variety of courses
    6. The county has nice countryside, mountains and lakes- such as Benbulben, Knocknarea, Lough Gill, Hazelwood
    9. The county has a few famous bands come out of it- Westlife, Conway Sisters, Tommy Fleming, Dervish
    10. There is a theatre in the centre of town, which puts on good shows- Hawkes Well

good on ya girl. I knew there was a lot of good things about Sligo and if I knew the place in any depth myself i would contribute more but I have to say that some of the scenery is second to none

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its very green.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Everywhere you go in Sligo, there are signposts pointing to Lifford.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Not to put a dampner on things, but alot of these positives are in the county, not the town. And alot of the positives about the town are not due to those who run it. I will say however, the areas along the river is such a massive improvement over what it was ten years ago. It was a dump. It's nice and cosmopoliton feeling now. See. I'm not the Sligo grinch:D Oh! And I like what they've done opening the route from the Wine Street carpark into Dunnes carpark. Very handy.
    With regards to the county, I think it's great. Pity more tourists don't visit. Seems to be a staging post between Galway and Donegal. It's a lovely place. I know our friends in Donegal probably think they go unnoticed with regards visitors, but Sligo seems to be a non destination. There's no life in Sligo during the summer outside of Saturdays:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I live in the country, it is absolutlely beautiful, especially hen it is sunny and at night. :)

I live in the country, it is absolutlely beautiful, especially hen it is sunny and at night. :)
    What sort of hens do you have in Sligo - glow in the dark ones :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The ones that get drunk and have parties in nightclubs. (:

The ones that get drunk and have parties in nightclubs. (:
    in other words - "grow in the dark" type :D

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you mean.
    >_>
    <_<
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Its perpetual rainfall should ensure there will never be a drought in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Its take-the-p'iss humour of the townie residents.

Aine Chambers.

A rake of good pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

As Resistance said , we have one of the finest soccer teams in the country :)
    Plenty of good dramatic companies and productions each year,
    Ill come back when I think of more!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Surfs up bra !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

muffler wrote:
    Whats that , biscuits :confused:
    Hilarious muffler :rolleyes:

We also have a nice accent. Criticised by many as being "knackery", but sure what do they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

DaBreno wrote:
    Its perpetual rainfall should ensure there will never be a drought in the county.

Must be time for the annual water rationing :)

A nice accent? Now that's sarcasm. It goes through me like a dentists drill. I've grown up in and around Sligo since I was 3 years old, and I'm eternally grateful to the speech gods that I haven't been lumbered with it. Don't know how I managed to avoid picking it up. Loads of people I grew up with had it, and most I've worked with.
    It's like a nasal Dublin accent with a sneery edge. It's completely exclusive to the town and a small area around it. There's nothing like it anywhere else in the country. "Welll Bud. How'ya now? Me mudder an' me fadder are out in de gaarden, readin' de Chaampion. NNNHH! You lukin' at me buddy? I'll rip off ur hed an' s#*t down ur troat! NNNHH!" God. I cringe just typing it.:D

il gatto wrote:
    A nice accent? Now that's sarcasm. It goes through me like a dentists drill. I've grown up in and around Sligo since I was 3 years old, and I'm eternally grateful to the speech gods that I haven't been lumbered with it. Don't know how I managed to avoid picking it up. Loads of people I grew up with had it, and most I've worked with.
    It's like a nasal Dublin accent with a sneery edge. It's completely exclusive to the town and a small area around it. There's nothing like it anywhere else in the country. "Welll Bud. How'ya now? Me mudder an' me fadder are out in de gaarden, readin' de Chaampion. NNNHH! You lukin' at me buddy? I'll rip off ur hed an' s#*t down ur troat! NNNHH!" God. I cringe just typing it.:D

Yes, but judging from your most recent posts in this section, you dont seem to like Sligo full stop, so its of no surprise you dont like the accent.

Spoken properly with good diction its sounds nice. Spoken by a knacker it doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

il gatto wrote:
    Not to put a dampner on things, but alot of these positives are in the county, not the town.
    Most of them are in the town actually.
    il gatto wrote:
    Pity more tourists don't visit. Seems to be a staging post between Galway and Donegal. It's a lovely place. I know our friends in Donegal probably think they go unnoticed with regards visitors, but Sligo seems to be a non destination. There's no life in Sligo during the summer outside of Saturdays:confused:
    I think you're mistaken.. The town is choc a block with foreigners! You only have to go into Pennys- full of foreign students. I was coming out of the cinema the other night and there was loads of foreign students at the entrance. Not to mention the camping sites at Strandhill and Rosses Point have been full for the last few weeks.
    BTW, I think the Sligo accent is nice... ' I'm from Slyyygo' (heavily pronounce the g..!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I agree with you about the lovely countryside and beaches.
    The town is getting better, but people have got to stop objecting to progress.
    I see in the paper there have been a load of objections to the Wine Street shopping centre. Do the shop keepers that object not realise that by stopping the shops that people want coming into the town they are forcing people to go elsewhere.
    The cinema is good, but should be out of town or have its own car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

il gatto wrote:
    have to say i agree with you there!
    I find it very harsh

Spoken properly with good diction and it's not a true Sligo accent. I specifically meant your every day nasal whine. What is most identifiable as a Sligo town accent.
    My previous posts are in relation to how Sligo has been managed by those who take our tax money as wages and do a crappy job. If I didn't like Sligo I would have left. My "career" isn't so good that I couldn't up sticks and move. I'm just annoyed by how civil servants and polititions not addressing problems and letting things run on til it's too late to fix(like the Mid-Block Route).
    In relation to tourism, Sligos a dead duck. There's coach trips stop off in the Southern and loads of Spanish exchange students. Not much else really.If you visit Westport or Galway or Killarney or Kilkenny this time of year, they're buzzing. Every night of the week. For my sins I work in the hospitality industry in Sligo town, and any night outside of a Saturday or Bank Holiday Sunday is sooo quiet. You could go out on a Friday or Sunday and it might be busy, but chances are it won't. That's a pity because like I said, I think Sligo has alot to offer visitors. They're just not coming here in any numbers.
    By the way SprostonGreen? Is that like the Charlatans song on the Some Friendly album?

And Madge, 4 out of your 10 posts referred to "county" and Strandhill and Rosses point and not in the Borough of Sligo either. I said alot of your positives reffered to the county, not the town and, as half of them do, I stand by that.

il gatto wrote:
    Spoken properly with good diction and it's not a true Sligo accent. I specifically meant your every day nasal whine. What is most identifiable as a Sligo town accent.
    My previous posts are in relation to how Sligo has been managed by those who take our tax money as wages and do a crappy job. If I didn't like Sligo I would have left. My "career" isn't so good that I couldn't up sticks and move. I'm just annoyed by how civil servants and polititions not addressing problems and letting things run on til it's too late to fix(like the Mid-Block Route).
    In relation to tourism, Sligos a dead duck. There's coach trips stop off in the Southern and loads of Spanish exchange students. Not much else really.If you visit Westport or Galway or Killarney or Kilkenny this time of year, they're buzzing. Every night of the week. For my sins I work in the hospitality industry in Sligo town, and any night outside of a Saturday or Bank Holiday Sunday is sooo quiet. You could go out on a Friday or Sunday and it might be busy, but chances are it won't. That's a pity because like I said, I think Sligo has alot to offer visitors. They're just not coming here in any numbers.
    By the way SprostonGreen? Is that like the Charlatans song on the Some Friendly album?

You may be getting confused about what thread you are posting in. Stay on topic or if you want to post the above comments do so in the relevant thread

There's not much point responding to comments made to me in a different thread. I'm just replying to people who have quoted my posts. I thought that was the nature of dicussion. They've taken issue with what I've said and I've taken issue with what they've said. It's not off topic. It's just a differing view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

Madge wrote:

hey dont forget...
    11. Aine C. and her wee sister ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Resistance wrote:

couldnt agree more Forza Rovers;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

il gatto wrote:
    And Madge, 4 out of your 10 posts referred to "county" and Strandhill and Rosses point and not in the Borough of Sligo either. I said alot of your positives reffered to the county, not the town and, as half of them do, I stand by that.

6 points referred to the town actually. I also disagree with you about the amount of foreigners here. Theres a lot more than you think..
    Of course I agree Sligo is badly managed- no public toilet and planning objections. But imo, it certainly isn't the worst place in the country.

Advertisement