Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positives of Sligo?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dramaqueen1979

I love Sligo, because of...

all my lovely friends
    Strandhill
    Knocknarea
    Rosses Point
    Hazelwood
    Parkes Castle
    Innis Free Lake
    Mullaghmore
    small hidden paths
    beautiful sceneries
    the sunset in strandhill
    people are nice
    Sligo Riding Centre
    Eden Hill Hostel
    St. Anns B&B
    neverending parties
    the drinks are in pints
    Envy
    Toffs
    Fiddlers Creek
    Bistro Bianconi (yummy)
    Paprika (more yummy)

and and and....

there are million things about Sligo that are great, and I think people who don't take some time to get to know Sligo deeper shouldn't jugde about it! Unfortunately I only be able to come there once or twice a year, but every year I discover new little wonderful things or places...SLIGO IS GREAT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I'm not saying it's the worst town, only the worst run. I like living here and I've no intention of leaving it. I criticise out of a disapointment in how its many assets are not exploited properly. I know nearly every hole and corner of Sligo, town and county, and I'm very proud of what it has to offer. As far as town vs. county goes though, Madge specifically referred to county 4 times and Rosses Point and Strandhill in another, neither of which are in the town. Ergo, 5 points do not refer to the town.
    There is indeed alot of foreigners in town, but many of them live here. There is a much smaller number of tourists in Sligo per. capita of population than most other large towns/cities in coastal locations elsewhere. The proof of that is the non existant nightlife on any weeknight. It's lamentable because Sligo has the potential, but it's not living up to it.
    And of course Forza Rovers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

things I love about the town of Sligo..........

>>>>>>>>> the new road, you can get out of the town MUCH faster now!!!

:D:D:D

Ahaha - ah no, c'mon people it's not THAT bad. As regards accents the TOWNIE town accent is VERRRY bad!! That said, I work in a big organisation in Sligo and just today I noted a colleague of mine has a very strong sligo accent but i very easy on the ears......compared to a girl who works in the kitchen (NNNNNNehhhhhh Nnnnnehhh whine whine) but when I happened to HEAR her speaking she was saying to a colleague of hers how she'd love to KILL someone or something so I think it depends on the type of chat that's coming out of the person with the accent a bit!!

Ah Sligo Town isn't THAT bad......rockwood parade, jfk parade, tobergal lane is LOVELY now and reemer what stephen st carpark was only a few years ago? derelict waste-ground almost.......all over past the blue lagoon to doorly park is beautiful as is up the holy well road etc........I could go on......

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

And Madge, 4 out of your 10 posts referred to "county" and Strandhill and Rosses point and not in the Borough of Sligo either. I said alot of your positives reffered to the county, not the town and, as half of them do, I stand by that.

" Positives of Sligo". I think you're getting a bit hung up on the town versus county bit, Sligo is both! Although, perhaps the best thing about Sligo town is quick access to some of the finest scenery and countryside in Ireland. There are lots more beaches further out where you can enjoy miles of strand with very few people if any.

I have to agree that Sligo doesn't get as many tourists as other parts of the country, I don't necessarily see that as a downside. More space for the rest of us.....

Planning development has been objected too but in some cases there is a case for objecting (I'm not talking about the Argos lark). Take for example the Carraroe shopping centre, badly needed outlets most will agree but where once there was a majestic view of Benbulben entering Sligo town from the South, now there is a big grey box on top of a hill. With a little more thought and possibly objections we could preserve whats good about Sligo and still have development....

Well done for hailing some positives about Sligo.......

I'm not getting hung up on it. I'm just trying to explain that my point was the exceptionally poor management of Sligo town. I'm not trying to divide the two or compete them against each other. It's the county town of Sligo, and therefore, anyone from or living in Sligo county has an interest in how their "capital" is run. I love Sligo, but that doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to the inept and the crooked who are well paid to run the town in the best interests of the population of Sligo. Paid with our tax money.
    Sligo's a great place, and I wouldn't leave over any of these problems. It's got some of the nicest scenary in the country, and, being a smallish county, it's all within a short drive of the town. There are some excellent facilities, both in and out of town. Still someway short of other towns though. Sligo town has some great pubs. The only complaint I have is that the things that bug almost everyone (street surfaces, traffic congestion, toilets, litter, parking, parking costs, blocking development because it doesn't suit some local business people, not enough playgrounds, day-time roadworks, speed mountains instead of speed ramps, not enough pedestrian crossings etc. etc.)
    are the unadressed responsibility of, or worse, the direct result of the polititions and civil servants who are charged with these things. They do a poor job. It's not enough to ruin the place, but when you live in or around it and work there every day, it's annoying. That's all I've been saying and some people have taken it up as an attack on the town and county. It's not. I was seeing if anyone else gets annoyed at these things. Some do, some don't. I appreciate if others don't notice or care about these things. It's still a great place in many ways :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

At this stage you're labouring the point.

I wouldn't be labouring it if people grasped it at the start. You said I didn't like Sligo full stop. dramaqueen1979 said people shouldn't criticise it until they get to know it, despite the fact that I live here and she only visits. I realise some people like to play the Devils advocate, and some people genuinely disagree. That's their perogative. I just don't want to be misrepresented as some sort of a Sligo grinch. As someone who hears people continually bitch about the town, I thought some of you might appreciate the chance to get it off your chests. On this thread, I've said positive things about Sligo, but qualified them with the opinion that those running the place are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I'm not getting hung up on it. I'm just trying to explain that my point was the exceptionally poor management of Sligo town.

Fair enough, but that was a previous thread which I hadn't read. I live in County Sligo but grew up in Sligo town and I have to agree to some exasperation at the way the town is developing....for instance a 15 storey hotel on a 1 acre site at Carraroe rounabout seems a bit out of place. I guess having this will make us more like a "City" in councillors eyes, which there seems to be an obsession with.

Some people may see this as positive so with that in mind

Some Positives

I know you may disagree but in the spirit of the thread, go on try and add some positives :) rather than more negatives :( .
    street surfaces
    (seem to be improving all the time)
    traffic congestion,
    ( It's an old town with streets made for donkeys and we can't blame councillors for people insisting on driving)
    toilets,
    I never have any problem finding a toilet, just use one in a Pub. Event if there were a public toilet or two it would still be more convenient to pop into a pub rather than locate one. Don't get overly upset about it. Think positively
    litter,
    Agree it was terrible but Sligo has increased its ranking from Litter Blackspot to Litter free in the last 2 years. Source IBAL survey. www.antaisce.org/pressclippings/ibal_results_may2006.pdf
    parking,
    There's always plenty of parking on Connaughton Road, only a 5 min walk from most shops.
    parking costs,
    2 euro for a days public parking seems ok to me. Hourly rates can work out expensive
    blocking development because it doesn't suit some local business people,

Consumers have a voice which they can excercise. If a large proportion of people are unhappy councillors will hear about it. If I remember right an objection to a toy store was publicly made by an existing toy store on the quays. His business closed, I believe as much to do with public reaction to his unreasonable protests as the new store opening. Name and shame the business people you mention if you have any specific info.
    not enough playgrounds,

Agreed, but the old Sligo racecourse is proposed to be developed as a Park with playgrounds etc.

day-time roadworks,
    Necessary to improve roads
    speed mountains instead of speed ramps,
    slows down cars, protects pedestrians
    not enough pedestrian crossings
    O Connell st seems to be one large pedestrian crossing, cant wait for it to be pedestrianised.

Street surfaces in the very recent past have improved. Still poor in many places. Other towns with similar street layouts manage their traffic better. Eg. Castlebar, Enniskillen and Athlone. BOrough councils are under an obligation to use the public tax money to provide facilities. Toilets included. A walk around Sligo is enough to tell you it's not litter free. An ill timed survey does not show the reality of it. Connaughton Road is fine for me, but explain that to my mother who had a hip replacement earlier on this year. Might as well tell her that the cars on top of Benbulben. Only reason's it's half empty is because it's a tough walk back up for alot of people. Per hour, parking is very costly. In Athlone you can get a ticket from a machine for as little as twenty minutes and it only costs 20-30 cent.
    As regards blocking development, it's no secret that the Chamber of Commerce came out against out of town retailing. So basically anyone who's a member of that unless they left it in objection. I'm no sleuth. It was in the papers.
    Proposing a recreation area 10 years into an economic boom seems more than slightly slow. Road works in other major towns are carried out at night, as the broadband installation which eventually arrived was. The speed ramps are too big. Less slows traffic down without depositing the underside of your car on them.
    I also think that along with O'Connell Street being pedestrianised, they should look at closing Gratten Street and the lower end of John Street (from back way to Tesco to Four Lanterns) and let it develop into a busy shopping area instead of a tailback of frustrated motorists.

I'm just responding to above comments, which in turn were responses to earlier comments. I realise the name of the thread, but feel I should reply to other posters in the spirit of lively debate:)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

ahh the sligo townie accent is awlful, but i love it at the same time.

sligo is great because i'm not there, ah no it truly is lovely. And i love the view of Benbulben form my house( in sligo that is).

• Advertisement
Advertisement