Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to pass repeats

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

while i was joking with the fries comment, i was actually being serious....i dont think i'm cut out for college....especially not in terms of my course, in which i have little more than a passing interest. unless i'm really into something, i find it very difficult to apply myself. and even if i were to obtain a second rate BA at the end of next year, where would that leave me?

and by the by, anyone with even a little cop on will realise from your posts that you are trying to have go at me for some reason. leave it out buddy, i get enough of that kind of ****e at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

ferdi wrote:
    while i was joking with the fries comment, i was actually being serious....i dont think i'm cut out for college....especially not in terms of my course, in which i have little more than a passing interest. unless i'm really into something, i find it very difficult to apply myself. and even if i were to obtain a second rate BA at the end of next year, where would that leave me?

and by the by, anyone with even a little cop on will realise from your posts that you are trying to have go at me for some reason. leave it out buddy, i get enough of that kind of ****e at home.

I'm genuinely not having a go at you, for any reason. I'm simply giving you what I believe is the best advice.

Really, I don't think you should talk like that. You could obtain a first rate BA next year, if you were disciplined with yourself. From there, you could switch to a postgraduate degree in something you are interested in, or you could use your qualification to gain very good employment. If you have a teachable subject, another year will give you a hDip, and you'd have a steady job from there on in. You could apply to the civil service with a good arts degree. You're not in a bad way.
    especially not in terms of my course, in which i have little more than a passing interest. unless i'm really into something, i find it very difficult to apply myself.

I think this illustrates why I'm offering this advice, why I believe hard advice is necessary here. I've got the same problem; we all have. It's very hard to apply yourself to something you're not interested in, that's a hurdle that every student comes to. The trick is to push through it. It's hard, but everyone has to do it. You'll find that the discipline will become second nature. It's the crux of academic study.

It's about making yourself interested in the subject. Grit your teeth and force yourself to be interested in the subject. Remember things by linking them to things that you are interested in. Slowly, imperceptibly, you conceive of an interest in it, so that, to your own surprise, you'll be disappointed when it's all over, or annoyed that you're cramming something that you find genuinely interesting, wishing you could have given it more time during the year, so that you might have enjoyed it.

I know how hard it is to start something you're not interested in. The trick is to realise that nothing is that uninteresting - there will always be something you find compelling in anything you turn your eye to. When you have finished your exams in August, knowing you've done quite well, you will look back at the study and think, "It wasn't all that hard, really". It's so common an occurence that it's a cliche.

You're absolutely capable of and suitable for University. You just need to change that "I'm not cut out for this" attitude. Nobody is 100% cut out for anything. At the most, to begin with, you'll be 65% cut out for your subject, and the other 35% is hard work. But the more hard work you do, the more you'll change towards being suitable for your course.

Trust me.

i never suggested i wasnt capable of college. i dont know whats wrong with me....need to get my head straight...anyone here have any info on getting a deferral?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

you need a good reason and probably more importantly the suppost of the department, it's very late to be considering it I'd say. Is there nobody on boards that has done 2nd arch that might be able to give you a few pointers to get you back on track for the exams.

humbert wrote:
    Is there nobody on boards that has done 2nd arch that might be able to give you a few pointers to get you back on track for the exams.
    the course changes every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

ferdi wrote:
    the course changes every year
    ah, trying to prepare for exams on courses like that is very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

I think everything necessary has already been said at this point.

Get all your course material together, answer some past papers. Getting the basic structure of information together on how to answer a question can be the difference between a pass and a fail. Once you have the basics you can build on them. Try to show that you understand the concepts that you are writing about, always use examples if you can. Offering up relevant pieces of info beyond the lecture notes will get you extra marks i.e. evidence of extra reading. I know I keep saying it but make sure the info you give for the question is relevant to that question.

As pointed out, asking a lecturer about your script is usually useful if you are wondering how to get a 1st instead of a 2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think the Arts department has clamped down on people deferring for no real reason e.g. they just want to travel/work for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

If you defer and the course changes every year, you would have to do all the lectures and whatever else is a part of your course all over again.

If your course is changing to a modular system that could be even more relevant.

i'm clutchin at straws here....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

ferdi wrote:
    i'm clutchin at straws here....

How exactly? Because we haven't supplied you with a magical way to pass your exams without doing any work?

You have been supplied with all the advice you could possibly need. What other conclusion could we come to? You seem to be unable to accept that in order to pass the exams all you need to do is study.

It's not that difficult. Really. If you don't enjoy your subjects thats unfortunate but you chose them. You also chose not to transfer to another course. If you choose to continue attending your course then you must, for some reason, want to finish it. It's not mandatory. You may leave at any time. You do not have to do the repeats. It is your choice, as an adult, whether or not to continue your studies. If you fail it will be your choice. Not studying=failing.

It's as simple as that.

*Has it ever occurred to you the reason you don't find archaeology interesting is possibly because you don't know enough about it? Just a thought.

chill out you bloody psychopath, i was referring to my question on defferal when i mentioned clutching at straws.

seriously, if you want to talk down to someone, get yourself a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well you're not exactly being very gracious when people try to help you....

Maybe you should work this problem out on your own.

honestly, i never asked for help...i just posted it up as a point of interest.

God you're a bitter person...

Good luck with your exams mate.

of course i'm bitter....i have repeats!!!

I don't think that's an excuse to be an asshole tbh! Lots of people have repeats

Anyways, *backs out of thread to avoid being part of the next mass execution*

Advertisement