Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW Ireland

Options
  • 27-07-2006 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

[Update: 28/07/2006 v1.0.1]
    I have uploaded a new version of the search and registration.
    All existing users can mail me if they'd like and I'll update their details with their professions - or wait until later tonight (or whenever) when I get the edit user page uploaded
    There are one or two bugs that I will fix presently
    [/Update]

[Update: 28/07/2007 v1.0.2]
    Fixed a bug whereby my user input sanitiser (based on regular expressions) was stripping the dash '-' character from the Level searches. Thus 20-29 and 30-39 became 2029 and 3039 respectively. This has been resolved.
    [/Update]

Hi Guys,

Further to a comment made in another thread, I knocked together a simple user tracking system. Have a look at let me know what you think.

Notes:
    1) I have not put any effort into UI design yet. I want to get the thing working first
    2) It's about an hour's work altogether, so it's not 100% stable
    3) Passwords are stored in a SQL 2005 DB as their hashed versions, so this is (should) be entirely secure
    4) Passwords are simply the ones being used later to login to change your own details, not your WoW password. (note; not that it would matter anyway as the passwords are stored as hashes I'd never be able to find out the original password anyway)
    5) I am aware the search system allows one to search for a Horde Night Elf or an Alliance Troll. I'll fix this later ;)

All user details entered will be retained on the server through subsequent versions if this project keeps going. I will (again, if there's interest in this) put in professions and talents and all that lark, and do it in an incremental manner instead of wiping the DB and restarting each time someone makes a suggestion.

Let me know what you think.
    http://82.195.156.10/WoWTrack

If you manage to break it, please let me know how you did it so that I can ensure it doesn't happen again.
    Let's make this work. If you guys register and use the site I'll keep chipping away at it and make it a fully functional site )

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

looks good mate :) got 2 chars up there and cant wait to c it finished

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

Good stuff :D
    Tell me what you like and don't like and I'll get it done :)

... I'm definitely putting in little irish flags next to people's names... I love sites that do that :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

cant get the edit thing working though.. work in progress i presume

Yep. I've most of it coded in the background, but in fairness, it's half eleven at night and I've got work in the morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you can add more details... like classes, PvP rank etc... :)
    Also, it's "Tauren" not "Taurean".

• Advertisement

I'll make those changes tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Thats bloody fantastic! Will it run on MySQL 5?

I have been developing a WoW ireland website.. when I say developing I mean forums, news and basic a basic theme. Still needs a lot of work + I have to ask people for what they are looking for in a site.

I still need to put a team together and i'm interested in speaking to anyone who is willing to help out. (Pender i'm looking in your general direction).

It's built using ASP.NET 2.0. The SQL side of things should run on any simple SQL server thought. If you're building a site, then how about this.
    I keep developing the code running off my rack server, and you just use an IFRAME or something like that.

Either that or I could host your site for you whichever's easiest /shrug/

ps; I'm adding the professions side of things right now...

Appreciate the offer Prender, but I have a dedicated server in Webhosting Co.

But I do like your creation there, i'd like to request that I can add it to my site when complete?

Best,
    Pete

• Advertisement

You want to link into it via iframe or something, or you want to host one yourself?

Personally i'd like to host it myself, but for central management reasons I suppose it's best to link it. What do you think? We would have multiple DB's otherwise which is probably not the best idea.

Nearly by definition there should only be 1 copy of this running anywhere otherwise it sort of defeats the purpose. Do you have a Windows Server?

I do.

Interesting - /strokes chin/ But you've only got a MySQL DB?

Well everything i've needed has required mysql.

It's your Basic config. SQl, apache, Pearl, PHP. If there is anything else required i'll add it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Zooooooooooooom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused: <
    My head

About to put up a new version with cooler searching...
    need to:
    1) Turn off the virtual dir (so nobody can stumbled in mid surgery)
    2) Create a SQL Change script and apply on the server
    3) FTP up the new files
    4) Cross fingers :)

Advertisement