Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quare Times In Sligo -first Ever Lgbt Pride Northwest

Options
  • 27-07-2006 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

“QUARE TIMES IN SLIGO -FIRST EVER LGBT PRIDE NORTHWEST – Sligo 25th-27th August. A great chance for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people in the northwest and our friends and supporters to get together, show off, make waves and make new friends! Full details will be available next week. Contact PM FOR DETAILS for info, or to volunteer. Tell your friends!”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i'm hetero myself, but i was wondering how many people do you expect to turn up at this event?
    also, why sligo? why not letterkenny, or derry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

thread reopened

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

nanook wrote:
    thread reopened

and about time too - gay people exist in Sligo and it shouldn't have been locked - disgraceful

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Johnnymcg wrote:
    and about time too - gay people exist in Sligo and it shouldn't have been locked - disgraceful

Well in fairness if it had been posted in any other forum it would have been locked or deleted too. If you want to advertise then go pay a newspaper to do it. It has nothing to do with sexuality so i wouldn't go preaching discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

takola wrote:
    Well in fairness if it had been posted in any other forum it would have been locked or deleted too. If you want to advertise then go pay a newspaper to do it. It has nothing to do with sexuality so i wouldn't go preaching discrimination.
    In fairness, it's not exactly advertising a comerical product, it's announcing a night out for a minority group of people. It shouldn't have been removed imho.

I might get along to this anyway, although Sligo is a bit out of the way :-/

• Advertisement

Yeah fair enough, I see your point

Johnnymcg wrote:

johnny when you know the full facts then you can comment.

Goodshape wrote:
    In fairness, it's not exactly advertising a comerical product, it's announcing a night out for a minority group of people. It shouldn't have been removed imho.

I might get along to this anyway, although Sligo is a bit out of the way :-/

also goodshape, when you know the full details you can make a comment but you are not aware of the full details.

As you haven't even hinted as to what the 'full details' may be, I'm forced to comment on what I see before me.

Such is the purpose of a discussion forum, I would have thought. Your cryptic responces don't offer much in the way of an explination. I trust you had your reasons but, I'm sorry, I honestly think you went the wrong way about it.

In anycase, the thread is back now.. I don't mean to complain too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I saw the original thread before it was locked/edited. To me, it was blatant advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Goodshape wrote:
    Your cryptic responces don't offer much in the way of an explination.
    You are saying there was no explaination given. Did you not PM me and did I not reply.

And was my response to your PM cryptic?

But then again thats the type of reply I expected

smashey wrote:
    I saw the original thread before it was locked/edited. To me, it was blatant advertising.
    I can see a hidden modding talent here.

Spot on smashey

Well tbh, it still looks like blatant advertising to me even after it's been edited.

takola wrote:
    Well tbh, it still looks like blatant advertising to me even after it's been edited.
    Its considered acceptable now in its edited format. Its nothing more than a group promoting a happy weekend together.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Johnnymcg wrote:
    Aside from using the excuse of "advertising" In other words what you are really saying is;

go off to your little ghetto of the LGB boards cause that's the only place we allow gay people on boards.ie

I will call the decision to remove it again disgraceful if I want

You might want to look again. It hasn't been removed, just edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The fact rhat the event is taking place hasn't been suppressed. Nobody's being descriminated against. The moderators do a good and fair job. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Even though muffler pulled me up for going off topic yesterday.:D I refer you to your posts on Personal Attacks:rolleyes: But seriously, lighten up. They're not gay-bashing. The post's still there. It's just been amended. I won't say calm down cos I know nothing winds me up more than someone butting in and telling me to calm down.:)

Oh - great name for the event, btw.. 'Quare Times in Sligo', made me lol ;)

(sorry.. didn't mean to stray on-topic there.. you can get back to bitching about moderating and discrimination now :p)

ps. the fact that the event was taking place was suppressed as the entire thread was removed without any explination. I saw the original post and the only thing that I remember being different was the inclusion of a contact email address. Maybe some subsequent offending posts have been removed but, eh, couldn't they just have been removed in the first place, leaving the thread where it was ?

Johnnymcg wrote:
    Aside from using the excuse of "advertising" In other words what you are really saying is;

go off to your little ghetto of the LGB boards cause that's the only place we allow gay people on boards.ie

First of all, I cannot be held responsible for how you take what I say.

Secondly, It's not an excuse. It was openly advertising.

Thirdly, Your comment on the LGB board being the only place anyone allows gay people on boards is absolute rubbish! I have no problem with gay people. Do you honestly think I care whether the guy/girl posting before or after me is gay? I don't and I doubt very many people on boards do! So please don't try to use the "everyone's against us" attitude with me.

The rules on boards are simple. Mods don't delete or lock threads for no reason. Using the site to advertise is against the rules. That is why the thread was locked. And I agree with the decision to have it locked. Again, I'll say that it is nothing to do with sexuality. It's about the rules.

Don't expect to be treated differently because you're gay.

(Sorry Mods if this post is harsh, I hate people putting words in my mouth :mad: )

Johnnymcg wrote:
    No you wont and thats not up for debate either

Any more toy throwing like that then you will have your week off

muffler wrote:
    No you wont and thats not up for debate either
    What does that even mean? How exactly do you plan on stopping Johnny from having an opinion on the matter?

For god's sake muffler, think before you post sometimes. You may be the all mighty moderator around here but that doesn't mean you have to be a prick about it ('no pun intended').

Both of you (moderators) seem to be taking a high-horse attitude to this thing and I really fail to see why.

• Advertisement

right kids, lets put all the toys back into the prams and start again.

Reasons why it was closed originally

Moderators decision.

Moderators decision

and finally moderators decision.

Reason why it was reopened, moderators decision.

I am not going into the thought process, but it has be re opened with a small edit to the opening post.

In relation to johnnymcg and all gays should be kept in their own little ghetto.

Where did you get that impression, i really am curious about your perception of others thoughts.
    You will find on here that people talk, discuss and sometimes rant but i have never heard anything so ludicrous in all my life as your post. I think that you may have to remove that small chip that is on your shoulder and talk to the people here.
    The north west is not a homophobic area and everything that pertains to the north west is open and available to the north west.

Now staying on topic, has their been any updates on this event, when and where is it happening. it seems there is alot of intereast on here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The original thread on the LGB forum is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054967298

I had left the thread on the forum myself as I didn't see a commercial slant to the post and I had also suggested that the poster post the thread here as I thought it would be of "regional interest".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Right lads, bickering is no use! I don't know the details and politics of the History of This Thread, but it's back now, so let's just stay on topic!

I have removed my post as it was a little OTT - I am not aware of the full circumstances of removing the original post but I still think it was wrong

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

There is a community meeting in Sligo tonight to decide the details for events to take place over pride. There has been a very positive response and I'm sure those in the NW can look forward to a fabulous weekend. More as it happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 northwest queer

I do not feel that promoting a community event should be regarded as blatant advertising. There are a lot of threads that would have to be removed if that was the rule!

For your information, not only was the thread locked, but I was barred from posting. I DO think this item belongs on the Northwest board - there are many people in the area who are not LGBT themselves, but support LGBT rights and this thread is of interest to them also. I am very unhappy about how the thread has been treated and how I have been treated. I will say no more, as it will probably result in further censorship and I do think this information is important. One of the themes of the event is "Straight But Not Narrow - Heterosexuals Supporting LGBT Rights." Is the northwest forum an inappropriate place for this theme?

The full programme of events is now available on a number of gay sites -gcn.ie, gaire.com, imouthere.org and others. Anyone interested should search these sites, where it is unlikely to be censored, for details. Thanks to those who have expressed support.

By the way,I did answer AverageJoe's question by PM when I could no longer post. Hopefully he got my reply. The answer to "why Sligo?" is that Sligo is a central location for people in the northwest, equally accessible from Donegal, Leitrim, Derry, etc and has good public transport links to the rest of the country. But we do see it as a northwest event rather than a Sligo event and it is quite possible that it will be in a different town next year, if that suits people.

northwest, we have been waiting for this thread to be updated, and as of yet there is nothing.

The whole thread was closed for a couple of days while we got clarification of things but the thread has remained open, and inactive for some time.

If you want to post times and dates then that is fine

Here's some updated information aboutNorthwest Pride. Steve is right - the clash with Galway Pride was just a mistake and could not be put right. Galway and Sligo are both tourist towns and it's impossible to book venues at this time of the year. Anyway... latest version of the programme looks like this:

Friday 25th:
    Afternoon: Launch reception - waiting for final details, update asap.

Evening: Informal get together in Furey’s Sile na Gig pub on Bridge Street - from around 8.30pm.
    This is a gay-friendly pub with a nice warm atmosphere and a good pint of Guinness!

Saturday 26th:
    PARADE!!! Meet up at 1.45pm outside the Niland Gallery on The Mall, Sligo Town. Depart at 2.15pm, destination City Hall, where we'll finish with performance and celebration. Costumes, banners and flags are all very welcome!

Saturday night: Northwest LGBT Pride All Sorts Party in the Church at the Clarion Hotel, Ballinode (by Sligo IT). Live performance and music to dance the night away to with DJ Licky Lips. General all-gender grooviness from 10pm: tickets €12 (€10 concession with ID), bar till 1.30am.

Sunday: Picnic on the Beach: The place we’re going is Lissadell Strand, beside Lissadell House, originally the home of Eva Gore Booth, activist and publisher of Urania, which can be seen as a forerunner of modern LGBT publications! Lissadell House are offering a discounted rate of €5 per head on a guided tour of the house. Parking is restricted, so join the party going down there!
    Gather up your towels and a bit of grub, there'll be car pooling and a bus from the Great Southern Hotel at 1.30pm, returning around 6pm. Kites and other beach games welcome!

There is self-catering accommodation available at a discounted price, very close to the venue for the Saturday night party. Contact nwpride@eircom.net to have details sent to you.

We hope that you’ll come and support us in our first Northwest LGBT Pride,
    bringing Pride alive in the Northwest!
    Joining us on the Parade will be a welcome gesture of friendship
    - looking forward to seeing you there!

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 northwest queer

Thanks johnnymcg. Will you be there yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

I hope ye all have a great time there this weekend. Was meant to head to galway to meet some friends but they're staying in Sligo for it. :(
    But tis important to support the sligo pride.

Have a great weekend guys and gals.

Advertisement