Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

80 Kph Limit for provisional drivers

Options
  • 27-07-2006 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=9&si=95699

Heard this on the radio today and couldn't believe my ears. What kind of idiot would suggest this as a method to improve safety on our roads??
    Have they even thought it through or are they just picking suggestions from a hat?

In case someone thinks this is a great idea - here is why its not...
    a) It would slow traffic on our primary roads and increase the amount of overtaking by qualified drivers - increase in possible acidents.
    b) Drivers would just remove their L plates - especially in the case where the car is used by a licensed driver as they risk being stopped every 5 minutes.
    c) Impossible to enforce - What would you do? Stop every car doing 90Kph and ask them for their licence? Get the cameras to look for L plates??

No wonder the roads are like they are....:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Works ok up north. 45 mph limit (70 km/h) for L and R drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

still a load of bullsh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Oh jaysus thats fairly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

My initial thought on this is 'Feck em, i'm just not doing that'.

Stupid, stupid, stupid little man.

This won't work at all, and I can see people up your arse flashing and beeping the horn for you to move.

Is anyone here an idiot and not drive at 100km? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Bond-007 wrote:
    Works ok up north. 45 mph limit (70 km/h) for L and R drivers.

There's a much higher proportion of provisionals down here than L and R up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Good idea but could only work if there is a proper testing system in place to reduce the number of provisional drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 malcoolm

sorry, "R driver"? wot does it mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

malcoolm wrote:
    sorry, "R driver"? wot does it mean?
    Restricted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

hehe if this comes in I might have to trade in my c200 for a tractor! Then again why dont I go and sit the test, must get around to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

All this would mean is L drivers removing their plates, its unworkable imho given the current ~1 year wait to even sit the driving test.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

In theory its an excellent idea, and gives a good imrpovement in the safety margin for those still learning to drive.

Bu in Ireland - pointless. It wouldnt be enforced. Start by enforcing existing learner driver restrictino laws first rather (no L drivers unaccompanied, no L drivers on motorways). Then enforce the laws on those with full licences; speeding, dangerous driving etc.

... then consider improving the laws. UNtil then chaninging then, introducing new restriction is only window dressing to make the authorities and politicians pretend they are doing something about our road safety problem.

Sandwich wrote:
    no L drivers unaccompanied
    Where applicable. ;)

Where applicable. ;)

If we are serious about safe driving (and safe learning to drive) it should be always applicable.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

layke wrote:
    My initial thought on this is 'Feck em, i'm just not doing that'.

Stupid, stupid, stupid little man.

This won't work at all, and I can see people up your arse flashing and beeping the horn for you to move.

Is anyone here an idiot and not drive at 100km? Anyone?

iv seen plenty of idiots doing 45mph in a 60mph limit with his left indactor on for a hole 20 mins.he was like he was lost kept moving inside the hard shoulder at every major turn and puling back out in front of me.until i got so sick of him a blew the hooter flashed him droped a few gears and went flying past(safely of course:rolleyes: ).if people are lost pull in read a map.dont f**king drive dangerously on a main road.a bit if topic i know.and he didnt have L pates neither :eek: I cant see that coming in.its hard enough to get people to keep on the 60mph:D

Sandwich wrote:
    I we are serious about safe driving (and safe learning to drive) it should be always applicable.;)
    Would you like to be the accompanied full licence holder in category M? :eek:

(or in A,A1 or W)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Seems about as stupid as a bus not being allowed to use the outer lane on a 2-lane motorway. So they probably will bring it in.

I think a better idea to improve road safety might be to spend some money on making the roads better, but then again that doesn't bring in easy money in fines I guess.

Tony Danza wrote:
    Seems about as stupid as a bus not being allowed to use the outer lane on a 2-lane motorway. So they probably will bring it in.

I think a better idea to improve road safety might be to spend some money on making the roads better, but then again that doesn't bring in easy money in fines I guess.

Nonesense. How many accidents are caused by the road? ("In other news, The N23 casued three accidents last month despite the best efforts of the drivers involved....."). Against how many are caused by people not being able (or choosing not) to drive in a manner apropriate to the the road?

Tony Danza wrote:
    I think a better idea to improve road safety might be to spend some money on making the roads better
    AFAIK most accidents are caused by driver error, not road conditions.

AFAIK most accidents are caused by driver error, not road conditions.
    Just a coincidence that they mainly happen on winding roads I guess.

Tony Danza wrote:
    Driver error on winding roads! Motorists should drive according to the conditions that they are presented with.

• Advertisement

Driver error on winding roads! Motorists should drive according to the conditions that they are presented with.
    But if the road wasn't so bad that wouldn't have happened, would you agree? I mean obviously every accident is caused by somebody doing something wrong, there wouldn't be an accident if everyone did everything right now would there. After being in America for the summer, they're just as bad drivers as Irish, I reckon, but serious crashes are few and far between. Seems like a good solution (but obviously very costly) to me.

Tony Danza wrote:

At 2 in the morning. On a Sunday. With no other cars involved. You must be right yeh.

Whatever, guess I must be wrong. Sorry about getting off topic. Back on topic now, yeah stupid idea, just hold up everyone and pressurise the learner driver even more than when your first driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

can somebody copy and paste the article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

mloc123 wrote:
    can somebody copy and paste the article

Here ya go:
    Report proposes 80km/h speed limit for provisional drivers

08:03 Thursday July 27th 2006

The Oireachtas enterprise committee is recommending that a speed limit of 80km/h be imposed on all motorists driving on a provisional licence.

The recommendation is contained in a new report from the committee which also proposes that black boxes be fitted in public transport vehicles and alcohol detectors in cars.

The report contains 30 recommendations that the committee says could reduce road deaths by 50 in six months.

The other proposals include refusing insurance cover to motorists who have not had professional driving lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

It is not like it will make a difference considering the majority of Irish roads are unsafe to do 100Kph anyways and the majority of provisional licence driver drive cars that will only do 100Kph if you jam your foot to the floor, I am a provisional driver on my 2nd provisional from next week (if they send it out).

Once again it is another way for the government to nail the young "Ipod" generation - ("Insecure, Pressured, Overtaxed and Debt-ridden") generation to the cross once again. Such thrash as refusing insurance etc. We have amongst the very worst roads in Europe and the ones that are good are clogged with traffic. I drive within the speed limit but restricting speed limits to 50MPH (I hate KPH) is nothing short of ridiculous. The cost to young drivers is a terror not a mind this.

netwhizkid wrote:
    Once again it is another way for the government to nail the young "Ipod" generation - ("Insecure, Pressured, Overtaxed and Debt-ridden") .

Sorry for the off topic - but really : Overtaxed???????????

You'd know they didnt work in the 80s. IPOD generation - you've never had it so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oh well, just passed my test today so dont care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Oh well, just passed my test today so dont care :)

Lol, well done, feels great doesn't it :)

NWK - Cant help but feel if you pass your driving test you may see the shoe on the other foot.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Sandwich wrote:
    If we are serious about safe driving (and safe learning to drive) it should be always applicable.;)

So tell me... what am I going to learn exactly by having a fully B licesnsed driver in the car with me? Hows' it going to make me any safer? If something goes terribly wrong all the passengers going to have time to do is scream "HOLY F***" before we flip upside down through a garden fence. Accompaniment just means that you have a passenger. There isn't actually any obligation for them to do anything is there?

Also are there any advantages to displaying L plates after about eight hours driving (by which time you should have complete mastery of the vechiles controls)?

Because as far as I can tell I make progress a lot safer and faster than the fully licensed people who would have to be in the car with me.

Actually... I am a fully licensed driver, can I accompany myself? hehe Where's the rules of the road. This could be good.

Advertisement