Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

80 Kph Limit for provisional drivers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

saobh_ie wrote:
    So tell me... what am I going to learn exactly by having a fully B licesnsed driver in the car with me? Hows' it going to make me any safer?

The idea is a driver with experience will see danger before an inexperienced driver. I know it happens when I am in the car with a relative who is learning to drive. It is often something small..e.g. "watch yer man he is going to pull out in front of you".
    saobh_ie wrote:
    Also are there any advantages to displaying L plates after about eight hours driving (by which time you should have complete mastery of the vechiles controls)?

See above. Driving requires more than knowing where the brake and indicators are. The L sign is a warning to other motorists that the driver is possibly (probably) inexperienced and incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

its a stupid dangerous idea, it would cause more accidents than it would fix, consider these 2

1. nervous learners would feel more intimidated being flashed to move so that they can be overtaken, there is a continuious white line. Legally they cant speed up they will become more concerned and nervous with the intimidation and be more off a risk than if they could just go slightly faster.

And before anyone says anything like "if there nervous they wont be going fast anyway" theres a difference between being nervous and knowing what your capable of

2.Its ireland the test waiting time is a joke and none of these laws are enforced anyway (no-one i know been given a bolloking over not being accompnied, and im on my 1st provisional and have never been stopped once and i do display my L plates:o ) so what makes you think they will enforce this, even if they do i dont think many people will take much notice of it. I know for sure i wont be sticking to 80kmh when its safe to go faster

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Longfield wrote:
    Lol, well done, feels great doesn't it :)

NWK - Cant help but feel if you pass your driving test you may see the shoe on the other foot.

I agree, a week ago I would have hated the idea of this but now I don't really care. Its amazing the difference that pink sheet makes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

maidhc wrote:
    The idea is a driver with experience will see danger before an inexperienced driver. I know it happens when I am in the car with a relative who is learning to drive. It is often something small..e.g. "watch yer man he is going to pull out in front of you".

Sounds more like backseat driving to me. Sure your not just a bad passenger which is also common to experienced drivers who are used to driving themselves about?

My brother looses it when he's a passenger when I drive slower than he does and have faster reaction times.

brim4brim wrote:
    Sounds more like backseat driving to me. Sure your not just a bad passenger which is also common to experienced drivers who are used to driving themselves about?

Nope.

Incidentally a learner driver went past me yesterday with the wheels locked up and went straight into a wall. She wasn't hurt, but now knows that it is harder to stop when there is a wet patch on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

The only way to improve safety in this case is to change the unbelievably stupid provisional license system in this country.

Ever explain it to someone forigen? they have a right laugh that we can apply by post for a license, make a call for insurance, ignore the competent driver as a passenger law because its not enforced. Simple

and they can then also laugh when they hear we have to wait a year to even sit a test.

really if it was maybe a 2month wait then yes maybe the accompniment rule could be enforced but a year how are u ment to get a years practice in

lessons? that would cost a fortune.
    get somebody to go out on a regurlar basis with you, that would just be a major annoyance to them.

the only way we can get practice is to go out ourselves as much as possible, and also people never seem to give learners enough credit, theyre not stupid, they can spot their own bad habbits. I have only been driving 8 months and have so far done about 10,000 miles, i know i have some bad habits, which i would fail my test over, theyre not overly dangerous (holding the gearstick one handed steering etc...)but they would cause a fail none the less. I am aware of this and when i am eventually called for my test i will be consciousof them so wont do them, for me personally thats better than some1 sitting beside me screaming keep both hands on the wheel slow down blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

dogz wrote:
    I am aware of this and when i am eventually called for my test i will be consciousof them so wont do them, for me personally thats better than some1 sitting beside me screaming keep both hands on the wheel slow down blah blah blah

Good habits start now ;)

Have to book refresher lessons myself. Driving test is looming and god knows what I've picked up from driving on my own. Just need to find an instructor who won't fill my head with more crap. I only found out after failing my last test that half of what my previous instructor told me was bull****.

I think I might go with Temple Bar school of motoring, they seem good. I like the mythbusters page anyway, fills me with some bit of confidence.

yeah im going to get a few pretests aswell just incase they notice anything i havnt,

I agree with u on the instructor thing though, i got 10 lessons to start, the car was ****e full stop and i didnt really learn anything, i was being told to brake for corners rather then drop a gear, to just use my brakes at lights the list goes on:rolleyes:

Then half an hour in the car with my da and i had learned more than i did in the 10 lessons, and i just took if fromn there then

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Personally think a minimum for 10-20 lessons with a qualified instructor (that has to sit an advanced driving and instruction test every 5 -10 years) before you are allowed on the road accompnied or otherwise would be a good step forward.

I did get a lot of lessons before my first test - and frankly a lot of stuff that instructor told me as a load of bollíx and I failed my first test - couldn't understand why at the time either as I'd done everything my instructor had told me to .

Second test got lessons from the Donald in the Temple School of motoring on a recommendation of another board member here.
    I then knew why I failed the first time, I was driving incorrectly, I passed easily the second time.

Bottom line we need qualified instructors giving CORRECT SAFE driving coaching to learners - and a prerequisite that a minimum standard of driving and minimum amount of lessons being reached before the instructor signs you off as being safe on the road.
    With respect to anyone that says they had one lesson and were ready to drive 100% safely is talking out of their rear end imho.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

saobh_ie wrote:
    So tell me... what am I going to learn exactly by having a fully B licesnsed driver in the car with me? Hows' it going to make me any safer? If something goes terribly wrong all the passengers going to have time to do is scream "HOLY F***" before we flip upside down through a garden fence. Accompaniment just means that you have a passenger.

You're missing the point of the accompanied learner driver. The person with you is not a passenger - they are a teacher - teaching the learner to drive, so that after being tested and proving their competance, can have a driving licence. And then drive unaccompanied. The purpose of the provisional license is to enable you to legally take control of a car while you are taught - not to treat it as a full license, drive on it for years on end.

Your thinking shows how askew Ireland has become on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it could sort of be considered a good idea if the waiting list for a test was two weeks but with people waiting over a year its just stupid. no one would ever get where they were going if the entire country was stuck behind thousands of learner drivers doing half the speed limit

it could sort of be considered a good idea if the waiting list for a test was two weeks but with people waiting over a year its just stupid. no one would ever get where they were going if the entire country was stuck behind thousands of learner drivers doing half the speed limit

Two weeks is not enough time to learn how to control a car properly. This is reflected in the latest road traffic legislation whereby the government has the means available to them to force L drivers to drive for a particular undetermined period before being allowed sit the test.

Same idea as the R plates in the north to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

dogz wrote:
    its a stupid dangerous idea, it would cause more accidents than it would fix, consider these 2

You seem quite certain of this. I presume you have proof? You should not have to look too far. Learner and newly passed drivers are restricted to 45 MPH in the North so you should be able to see evidence from there.

Unless of course you think there is something special about the drivers in the south that mean they will be more dangerous? If that is the case the problem is not with the speed restriction but the drivers, why don't you look at the cause and not the symptom.

MrP

Advertisement