Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isdn line from eircom

• 27-07-2006 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

did i read in this forum if i get eircom to install a isdn line that i will prob be able to upgrade to bb?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nazthing

isdn is mostly a ripoff, bb coverage is dependant on location ... mostly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

tinner777 wrote:
    did i read in this forum if i get eircom to install a isdn line that i will prob be able to upgrade to bb?
    You may have read that, but it was most likely a lie. If you have an ISDN line then you need to change it back to a standard phoneline before you can get BB on it as I believe Eircom won't supply BB on an ISDN LINE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Eircom will clean up your line for IDSN. If you have a clean line and you are near enough to a broadband enabled exchange you may be able to get broadband once the line is cleaned.

It's not guarenteed to work but it might, it will probably be expensive and tedious too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

tinner777 wrote:
    If you can't get broadband solely because you're on a carrier line (your line has been split to provide 2 lines), then if eircom accept an order for an ISDN line, they will remove the "splitter", and if you then revert to an analog line, your line may now pass for DSL.

There are a number of very important caveats in this, though. If eircom didn't have enough copper to supply all the lines it needed in your neighbourhood, it may not be able to "unsplit" your line. And even if they do, you might be too far from the exchange for DSL to work even after the line is unsplit.

There are no official procedures for finding out whether this will work before you embark on the expensive process of ordering ISDN. The unofficial procedure is to get a local telephone engineer to check it out for you first. Of course, if you know a telephone engineer well enough to get him to do that favour for you, you probably know him well enough for him to arrange to get your line unsplit without ordering ISDN - a classic version of the eircom Catch 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Isn't it a sad state of affairs in this country that you have to order a service in ISDN that you don't particularly want in order for Eircom to come and do their duty and tidy up your line quailty to broadband enable it, even if you live in the 4.5km DSL radius. It's a joke, every line in this country should be broadband capable by now, end of story. Poor quality copper my arse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement