Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

critics - take out your notepads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

1. Personally I dont like the flash - had no warning it was featured on the site - plus its 203 kb in size. On the network I have here it took a while - dread to think of dial up users

2. Each time I visit a page and go back to the homepage - I have to load the flash again - really irritating

3. None of your links are working

Cant give anymore feedback since you have really no content in the site.

If you are looking for feedback on the design - get rid of the flash

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I liked how the sketch of the ship turned into a photo - was nicely done, but it took an age to download. And like Ph3n0m, that's on a pretty decent connection. Actually, it took a while even to get the 404 pages for the links, so you may need a better hosting package.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

a lot of work into that .fla but it took sooooo long to load up. Who is your host? Even though the file is 300kb or whatever it took over 2 minutes to load on my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

its nice - but what the others said about the download time.

Are you sure that pre-loader is accurate? There doesn't seem to be a lot happening in the animation to produce a 200kb movie. What image types did you import into flash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

HTML Validation Result
    http://www.space95.sc/catcocos/index.html

line 41 column 9 - Warning: <embed> is not approved by W3C
    line 45 column 2 - Warning: discarding unexpected </h1>
    line 26 column 1 - Warning: <div> anchor "page-container" already defined

0 errors / 3 warnings

I might have missed a bit of the flash movie because the screensaver came on...
    Is the source image resized in flash? Noticed a few jaggies. If so the payload could be bigger and take longer than needs be.

But even if it's speeded up, who wants to have to see an animation every time they go to use the site? No major site puts users through this, the <blink> tag was deprecated for good reason, it's distracting when you're trying to read and get the message. Just because a technology exists doesn't mean it's a universal elixer.

As animations go it's imaginative, not to be a damp squib. And a daring logo with four butts there, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

The flash takes forever to load - it's pointless having it there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

The flash takes forever to load - it's pointless having it there in the first place.
    Yeah, I spent more than the requisite ten seconds on a very fast internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I really like the Flash but it is too slow. Also as it dominates the page, not sure if this is the case when you add content.

One further point, is it just me or does the logo look like four buttcheeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

One further point, is it just me or does the logo look like four buttcheeks?

Well, eight butt cheeks to get anal about it. boom boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

eoin_s wrote:
    Well, eight butt cheeks to get anal about it. boom boom.

....theres always one....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Yeah, I spent more than the requisite ten seconds on a very fast internet connection.

It may amaze you to know that broadband is not readily available across this great country.

It may amaze you to know that broadband is not readily available across this great country.
    http://www.irishwan.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭dshakey

i dont really like the Flash, it looks at of place and the design looks very very simalar to http://www.subcide.com/tutorials/csslayout/images/Website_Final.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

hi guys,

wow! thanks for the feedback! the site is for a new high speed ferry to be launched in october. there is an existing service already and has been for last 10 years or so. the flash is to signify the arrival of something new, it is intended to be a piece for the launch and will be in place for the next 4-6months after which an image will be used. the client wanted unique and i think i've achieved that. apologies for the size and bandwidth issues. it is larger than it needs to be but is a draught and will be cleaned up. i apologise for not mentioning this earlier.

the site is sitting on a server in seychelles where international bandwidth is provided by sattellite hence poor performance, finished site will be mirrored in europe. subcide tutorial was my inspiration for layout, its clean and simple and was exactly what i was looking for apart from minor changes which will come later ie this will become a full sales site with credit card bookings etc. BTW the four butts arent butts, their coco de mer!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_de_mer it would appear that this is not the first time the similarities have been noted!!! :)

sorry, keep on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

I like it. It made me wonder what was behind the loading screen and it grabbed my attention; the flash that is.

Nice. I like the site aswell nice and simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

well if you see any other flash based site, it must load immediatley or you will leave, 5-10 secs would be a max wait time for me in a site, 30-40secs it took to load, only for I was curious, i would have left your site immediatley. I don't mean to be harsh, it is a great flash but a bitting big...

Other than that I like it, but if its for a ferry/boat thing...there are extra steps you can take

There's a similar example at flanagans and maybe it's the artistic attributes but I found myself willing to watch. I think it works well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gamblingIRE

link text is terrible colour. bad contrast. nice layout though.. why on earth did you use a transitional dtd? why not just go strict xhtml?

looks nice tho - don't wanna sound negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

nevf wrote:
    Other than that I like it, but if its for a ferry/boat thing...there are extra steps you can take
    id like to hear your ideas?? Again, sorry for the load time. the flanagans site is a nice take on the technique. @gamblingIRE im still getting used to the standards, i go with whichever one gives the least errors! bad form on my part but until i get comfortable with them.....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I love the butt cheeks logo.

This is how fast it should be loading: http://eirtaku.net/external/catcocos.swf

Advertisement