Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork - European Draw - AC Milan!

• 28-07-2006 11:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

If Cork get throught to the next round, they're playing AC Milan... :(

S.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

If Cork were to beat Red Star they will face Milan

Arsenal v My Pa47 or Fc Copenhagen

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

sinecurea wrote:

S.
    Ah sure Cork will beat them no bother!

Liverpool v Macaibi Haifa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Roddy23 wrote:
    Arsenal v Dinamo Zagreb (if dianmo progress, they should theyre leading going into their second tie)
    away first.
    You sure about this? BBC reckons its My-Pa or Fc Copenhagen for Arsenal next.
    http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/5216142.stm

• Advertisement

Ye Pighead thats a bit odd, was just about to amend my post, when I saw the bbc sports page. Its funny cos I was listening to the covergae on the bbc for the draw, and they said Arsenal would be playing Dinamo Zagreb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

While I am realistic enough to say it is a long shot that City will be playing AC Milan, it is a huge incentive. Not to mention it really brings home how great it is to see your home team opposite AC Milan in a draw, 90 minutes away from the biggest game an Irish club has ever been involved in.

Hope the ref send of 4 Red Star players in the opening minutes of the next leg and gives us a few penalties for good measure. We might progress then.

We'll beat AC easily - they are over rated anyways ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

if milan win

and if they are allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And if they have not paid off the ref and been involved in some nature of match fixing. Is a disgrace that Uefa are even allowing them in competitions under their auspices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

UEFA have delayed a decision on whether to allow AC Milan to play in this coming season`s Champions League until 2 August.

A UEFA spokesman told PA Sport that Milan will enter the draw for the Champions League in Nyon on Friday on a 'provisional basis' ahead of a final decision by the emergency panel of European football`s governing body next week.

If Milan aren't allowed in, will another Italian team take their place? Or will there be a bye to the group stages? ;)

And where would City play the home leg? Turner's Cross? Isn't Lansdowne Road closed?...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Roddy23 wrote:
    and they said Arsenal would be playing Dinamo Zagreb.

so did the draw, watched it on Sky Sports News. that of couurse is if they win their match to advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

sinecurea wrote:

S.

Why the sad face?
    How well did you expect Cork to do in the CL?

Playing a team like AC is amazing for cork - you only get rare opportunities like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Cork City should take a leaf out of Milan's books and bribe the ref :)

plazzTT wrote:
    And where would City play the home leg? Turner's Cross? Isn't Lansdowne Road closed?...

It wouldn't be at Turners Cross as far as I know, as it would not be up to scratch to stage such a tie. if Lansdowne is closed, i would assume the game would be played in London, or Liverpool or soemwhere like that.

Once again it will show the folly of not having any decent, available stadia in this country.

Its all pie in the sky anyways, City have the small matter of over turning a 0-1 deficit in front of 40000+ mad Serbs on Wednesday, to contend with first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

egan007 wrote:
    Why the sad face?
    Could you imagine the Cork away dressing room?! :)
    They'd have to install an extra 10 mirrors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Not a bad draw , you either want a beatable side or a huge money spinner and it will be a great incentive for the players to beat Red Star . It will be a tough task just to meet Milan but Cork are certainly in with a chance .

The Uefa Cup draw is in half an hour .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

plazzTT wrote:
    Isn't Lansdowne Road closed?...

No it's not closed.

gimmick wrote:
    It wouldn't be at Turners Cross as far as I know, as it would not be up to scratch to stage such a tie. if Lansdowne is closed, i would assume the game would be played in London, or Liverpool or soemwhere like that.

Once again it will show the folly of not having any decent, available stadia in this country.

First soccer match to be played at Croke Park....................just a thought .

Maybe someone here can answer this

UEFA will decide on August 2nd whether AC are allowed participate. Now if they decide not, Palermo will NOT be able to take their spot, as the Italian FA have designated their participants, and this cannot be changed AFAIK.

So, IF AC are thrown out, will RedStar/City get a bye and will the lsoer get the 3rd round loser UEFA cup spot?

Intrigue intrigue intrigue. One way or other, I hope, for selfish reasons, AC are thrown out!
    Big Ears wrote:
    First soccer match to be played at Croke Park....................just a thought.

Croke Park, in this moment in time is not up to UEFA standards!

Big Ears wrote:
    First soccer match to be played at Croke Park....................just a thought .

Why whats wrong with Lansdowne Road? Did something happen overnight?

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    Why whats wrong with Lansdowne Road? Did something happen overnight?

apparently nothing but my post was only just after yours so I didn't see your post .

Also how long does it take to fix proper floodlights to a ground ?

Big Ears wrote:
    Also how long does it take to fix proper floodlights to a ground ?

Well if your refering to Croke Park it's wired already and they are in the process of installting to be ready for next spring.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/05/21/story14388.asp

Lansdowne still has 3 Ireland 'soccer' games to be played before the end of the year, and the autumn Rugby internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

gimmick wrote:
    Not to mention it really brings home how great it is to see your home team opposite AC Milan in a draw, 90 minutes away from the biggest game an Irish club has ever been involved in.
    It wouldn't be the biggest game involving an Irish club Athlone played AC Milan in the 70's and drew 0-0 and held them for over an hour in Milan before losing 3-0. Also Irish teams enjoyed numerous drubbings in the open draw era of the European cup against top sides from England, Italy, Spain etc, but it would be the biggest Champions League game an Irish team is involved in after Cork v Red Star and a tremendous achievement if they could make it to the 3rd round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

UEFA has decided that if AC Millan are thrown out then the team that draws them will get a buy into the group stages!!!

ie - if Cork bead Red Star then they are into the group stages of the Champions League!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Source?

That would be amazing!! After all of corks bad luck so far it's nothing more than they deserve...I hope to j33bus they can pull it off, because if what you say is true, then this is the best oppertunity a Irish side has ever had of reaching the groups...Great for the league and massive money spinner for Cork!!

patmac wrote:
    It wouldn't be the biggest game involving an Irish club Athlone played AC Milan in the 70's and drew 0-0 and held them for over an hour in Milan before losing 3-0. Also Irish teams enjoyed numerous drubbings in the open draw era of the European cup against top sides from England, Italy, Spain etc, but it would be the biggest Champions League game an Irish team is involved in after Cork v Red Star and a tremendous achievement if they could make it to the 3rd round.

I realise that, but that was the 1970s, this is the 2000s where there is much much more money involved in the game etc, therefore, in my mind, Depor Vs Shels has been the biggest to date, and will continue to be, unless City face AC Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2006/0728/1154075734050.html
    Officials from Uefa are due to meet next Wednesday to rule on Milan's involvement following the match-fixing scandal in Italy. Milan were included in the the draw on a "provisional basis" ahead of a final decision.

Should Milan be eliminated, the winners in Belgrade next week would progress straight to the group stages of the Champions League.

Now the bbc are reporting that we will have to play probably Dinamo Zagreb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/5216142.stm

wish theyd gone with the MyPa47 draw, as this looks a far more daunting task.

So if AC Milan are denied entry would Cork progress to the 1st round of the Uefa Cup if they fail to beat Red Star ?

I expect Milan to be allowed play though , they are afterall a big club and Uefa wouldn't like to upset them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Roddy23 wrote:
    Now the bbc are reporting that we will have to play probably Dinamo Zagreb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/5216142.stm

wish theyd gone with the MyPa47 draw, as this looks a far more daunting task.
    Its definetly Ekranas or Dinamo Zagreb see http://www.uefa.com/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Big Ears wrote:
    So if AC Milan are denied entry would Cork progress to the 1st round of the Uefa Cup if they fail to beat Red Star ?

They could. Red Star are listed here as having a place in the UEFA Cup First Round draw. (it assumes they get knocked out of the Champions League at the 3rd Qualifying Round).

Some team would have to take their place in that draw if they beat City and get a bye to the CL group stages. Cork City would be the obvious choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

If AC Milan are kicked out I think another Italian side takes their place??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Nope, their opponents get a bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i thnk the fact UEFA allowed AC in to the qualfiny says alot. If they really felt they shouldnt be in the competition they would of thrown them out yesterday.

Also, cork have no chance of beating red star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Cafu coming to Cork? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If Cork dont go out to red Star they go out to AC :(.

Imagine most Cork fans would have liked to have had a hope had they won next wed.

Nice motivation tho.

kdjac

Advertisement