Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HDD

Options
  • 28-07-2006 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok i'm thinking about getting an external HDD for my computer for backup.

Do yous have any recommendations for ones your tried and are good under the following headings in order:

1. Reliability
    2. Capacity
    3. Cost
    4. Speed
    5. Power requirements (i'm primarily looking for one that runs off its on powersupply connected to the mains)

Any help would be much appreciated. As in if there are stockists around Ireland or what the best makes to look at are from personal experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I bought 1 in Aldi a while back. Medion 320gb, although it was only 300gb by the time i converted to NTFS. Does exactly what i need it for (Back up & music). Only E149.
    To answer your questions:
    1. Reliability: No probs so far, might be 2 early to say
    2. Capacity: 300gb after formatting to NTFS
    3. Cost: Great value at E149
    4. Speed: As good as you can expect from an external
    5. Power requirements: Powered off mains

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

how easily can you pick these up? Sounds like a good deal, and exactly what i'm looking for, loads of storage for cheap. It would mean I can get rid of my old computer which is basically just being used as storage device on the network (probably sell it at the fair in blooms in august)

Will I have to sleep out over night at Aldi to get one of these or are they always in stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Keep an eye on the leaflet that comes thru your door. have them in stock every 2/3 mths. Usually sell out on the day so your gonna have to get there in the morn just 2 be sure. Pc world had 350gb on special offer at E165 a while back. worth checking them out to see what offers they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

I got an external HD from this crowd. They sell through ebay. Good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Got this from Komplett 3 months back. It great, very fast, plenty of storagte (320gb, well about 305gb really) and I managed to install and run Ubuntu Linux on it without too much hastle. Its only €150 now. USB2 only though, no firewire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Zapho wrote:
    Got this from Komplett 3 months back. It great, very fast, plenty of storagte (320gb, well about 305gb really) and I managed to install and run Ubuntu Linux on it without too much hastle. Its only €150 now. USB2 only though, no firewire.

Got one of those Westies as well as another Maxtor Onetouch 160gb USB 2.0 (don't think Komplett have those anymore). Work well and stay fairly cool.

Advertisement