Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New SAABS JTID diesel

Options
  • 28-07-2006 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Anyone here got any experience on the recent Saab 9-5 wiht the JTID engine. Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I think that the engine is alright,my dad was thinking of buying a 9-3 150bhp about 18 months ago. We went 4 a test drive and the engine was powerful enough,I think that it may have been a bit noisey though. I'd avoid the 2006 9-5 though because it looks terrible (the new nose looks as if its got Dame Edna glasses on!!!) And I'm fairly sure that the 9-5 is due to be replaced in 2007. I'd save a couple of grand and go for the 9-3 150bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

AFAIK, the diesel SAABs get their engines from FIAT/ALFA, so it is the multijet diesel.

If you are the bandwagon type, this will put you off them for no good reason whatsoever.

But in real terms, it is currently one of the best diesel engines available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Has this engine in my Vectra in 150bhp form. Great engine 40mpg round town and plenty of power/torque

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nice engine but have you seen the new 9-5 /shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Cyrus wrote:

i dont like the new front grill. that was a disaster in design. I am looking at a 04/05. That Diesel thats in the Alfa got great reviews. Would the saab be of better build quality than some of the Fiats?. Not jumping on the bandwagon or anything. My aunts 06 New VW Ventos clutch failed after 10K miles...so they are not all perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

For some unknown reason it looks like SAAB decided to only put the 120ps version of the diesel engine in to the 9-5. Have driven a Zafira with the 150ps engine and it is a cracker. Apparently the 120 isn't bad, but I'd have my reservations about it in a car that size. Biggest issue is that it's actualy 1904cc and therefore gets taxed and VRT'd as a 2 Litre.

The 9-5 not only shares it's engines with Fiat/Opel, but also the underpinnings with the Vectra. I've also heard that some of the components used actually date back to the original SAAB 9000. It really should be replaced soon and I'd be surprised if it's around for another 2 years.

Personally I'd either go for the 9-3 in higher spec, or even look at the all new Volvo S80. I've heard it's years ahead of the old one in both looks and handling and will retain it's value better than the 9-5.

Skoda Superb does the same job for less, if you don't mind driving a Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It'd be hard to reccomend the 9-5. It doesn't do any one thing excellently, and they're not exactly reliable either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I know the 9-3 shares a chassis and suspension with the Vectra....does the 9-5 as well?

The "be-spectacled" front lights of the 9-5 are hideous...first time I saw one I thought some tacky max power head had got hold of it! The estate is worse it seems to have those awful "lexus" style lights as well

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

furtzy wrote:
    I know the 9-3 shares a chassis and suspension with the Vectra....does the 9-5 as well?

Yes. Another case of clever marketing that this car belongs in the same league as an E-class or 5-series. Now you know it doesn't :)

I'm shocked that they're only using the 120bhp 1.9JTD from FIAT and not the 150bhp in a car this size :eek:

Or you can "upgrade" to the 115bhp Opel 2.2 diesel engine :rolleyes:

the 5 series is 9" longer than the 9-5. and is in the same class as the 9-5 in the same way that the Omega was.

Incidentally, the cheapest 9-5 is a good bit cheaper than the base BMW 316i

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    Incidentally, the cheapest 9-5 is a good bit cheaper than the base BMW 316i

If only ;)

The cheapest 9-5 is €7k more expensive than the base BMW 316i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Cyrus wrote:

It looks like its wearing a pair of chrome rimmed glasses....hidious looking thing, what were they thinking. The first time I saw one I thought it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

junkyard wrote:
    It looks like its wearing a pair of chrome rimmed glasses....hidious looking thing, what were they thinking. The first time I saw one I thought it was a joke.

And the rear looks out of proportion somehow.

I wouldn't mind, but the old 9-5 was a reasonably nice looking car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It was but Saab seem to be losing their uniqueness now too.

I've never liked the looks of the 9-5 but I actually prefer the '06 model to the original

Checked availability in some other countries and no surprises: the Opel 2.2 diesel is not available and the FIAT 1.9JTD is available only in the 150bhp, not the 120bhp version. Even in the Netherlands, where VRT is as bad as here

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

junkyard wrote:
    It was but Saab seem to be losing their uniqueness now too.

Just another branch on the GM corporate tree these days.

bazz26 wrote:
    Just another branch on the GM corporate tree these days.

Unfortunately it is...

It is a long time ago that Saabs were cool and just...Saab! :(

unkel wrote:
    If only ;)

The cheapest 9-5 is €7k more expensive than the base BMW 316i

Sorry. thinking 9-3 prices!

colm_mcm wrote:
    It'd be hard to reccomend the 9-5. It doesn't do any one thing excellently, and they're not exactly reliable either.

Thought the SAAB rated highly recently in warranty tests. ?
    A lot of the car marques are now rolling in under one Parent..
    JAGUAR--FORD
    VOLVO -- FORD etc.
    Maybe the 9-3 is the one to look for. Id only be interested in the 150BP Powerplant...

tred wrote:
    Thought the SAAB rated highly recently in warranty tests. ?
    A lot of the car marques are now rolling in under one Parent..
    JAGUAR--FORD
    VOLVO -- FORD etc.
    Maybe the 9-3 is the one to look for. Id only be interested in the 150BP Powerplant...

Yes but Ford have improved Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover, etc.

Apart from fitting the FIAT multi-jet diesel engine GM haven't improved SAAB, they have totally lost their uniqueness and become mainstream and less indistinguishable from other GM products. Perfect examples of this are the 9-5 which is now sporting a controversial face for the sake of it plus in the US where they have the Subaru Impreza estate with the nose of the 9-3 and call it the 9-2.

Alot of tradtitional SAAB drivers are no longer buying the brand.

• Advertisement

Saab are far from reliable. The 9-5 to go for is the Focus FFV style BIOPOWER bio ethanol model. gets the same VRT rebate as the Prius and RX400H, making it quite affordable.

bazz26 wrote:
    plus in the US where they have the Subaru Impreza estate with the nose of the 9-3 and call it the 9-2.

Oh dear. I have never seen such a horrendous attempt at badge engineering. They may as well have called it a Vanden Plas as they were at it.

True though, Ford really have improved Jaguar beyond all recognition, given volvo some decent cars and continually improved LR. GM are just destroying and blandifying everything they come upon.

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes but Ford have improved Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover, etc.

Apart from fitting the FIAT multi-jet diesel engine GM haven't improved SAAB, they have totally lost their uniqueness and become mainstream and less indistinguishable from other GM products. Perfect examples of this are the 9-5 which is now sporting a controversial face for the sake of it plus in the US where they have the Subaru Impreza estate with the nose of the 9-3 and call it the 9-2.

Alot of tradtitional SAAB drivers are no longer buying the brand.

Have u taken a test drive of one???

tred wrote:

The 9-3 looks like a vectra/mondeo/avensis/3 series

The original pre-GM 900 looked like nothing other than a SAAB 900.

maidhc wrote:
    The 9-3 looks like a vectra/mondeo/avensis/3 series

The original pre-GM 900 looked like nothing other than a SAAB 900.
    t

Funny i asked about the Saab engine and performance and most of this thread seems to have gone on a GM attack. I have driven a high spec 9-3 at the weekend, and was well impressed with its handling and engine performance I amnt sure about whether I will buy one but first impressions were good and better than i expected. You should drive the car and not only judge it by its looks.

tred wrote:
    I have driven a high spec 9-3 at the weekend, and was well impressed with its handling and engine performance I amnt sure about whether I will buy one but first impressions were good and better than i expected. You should drive the car and not only judge it by its looks.

I have never driven it, but my aunt has a 9-3 Vector with leather seats. It is very well finished inside. She said though she would prefer her old 1.6 A4, but I don't think she has any reason for that other than personal preference.

Personally I'd drive a 9-3 over an A4 if someone else was paying for it. However the 9-5 is a mess in comparison.

tred wrote:

Nope but my boss is a self confessed Saab fanatic for years. He's had a few 900 turbos and an early 1990s 9000 over the years so he knows his Saabs. He currently drives a 2004 9-3 and hates it. He said that will be his last Saab.

bazz26 wrote:
    He said that will be his last Saab.

Sad :(

The first Saab I drove was a 90 nearly 20 years ago. It was just so different from any other car in (or anywhere near) its class. Now they are just rebadged mainstream econoboxes in essence

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Sad :(

The first Saab I drove was a 90 nearly 20 years ago. It was just so different from any other car in (or anywhere near) its class. Now they are just rebadged mainstream econoboxes in essence

Very true. My uncle had a 1979 or 1980 Saab 900 when I was young. I remember it being so different from everything else. From the almost vertical shapped front windscreen to the ignition located down next to the hand brake.

Advertisement