Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Red Wire Blue Wire, My short film is released today!

• 28-07-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44

Hey,

I've made a (very) short film called Red Wire Blue Wire. And to get it out to audiences I've done something that has never been done before, I've bought screen time in Savoy 1, Dublin. Starting today! (Friday 28th July - 3rd August).

So if you happen to be going along to see The Break Up (no control over this bit - but heard it's alright...) arrive early and keep an eye out for it. Please feel free to cheer and applaud at the end.

Cast & crew will be going on Tuesday night (and leaving before the main feature starts) if you want to pop along then for that...

More info here:
    www.redwirebluewire.com

Jason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hollywood BC

Its been done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 jaydeluxe

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Its been done
    Care to give an example?

dont need to. Its naive of you to think youre the first and only person to ever think of doin that. Ive seen plenty of shorts before a movie over the years.

In these other cases they may have been part of a distribution deal, but what seems to have been done here is they've actually bought the screen time in the same way that vodaphone and redbull would for their adverts. I can't say I've heard of that being done before.

Don't accuse someone of lying if you aren't willing to back it up.

• Advertisement

Hollywood BC,

I think you misunderstand the release.
    Sure there have been many shorts shown before features but this is at the control of the major distributors.
    No one has bought the advertising time to show their film. Hence taking control of it's distribution and release and showing it to audiences on the biggest and best cinemas screens.

Please see the following Irish Times article about the release...
    http://www.ireland.com/theticket/articles/2006/0811/1154691568810.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Fair play to ya. Good luck with it.

"Dont accuse someone of lying"?
    Jesus, you lads need to simmer down a bit. I merely said it's been done, because there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it has.
    What, you think you'd have heard of every time someone did it?
    Its not like its gonna be all over the papers.

If one person thought of it, there's been a million others who've already done it.
    Same with everything.

Its not like its gonna be all over the papers.

It was when I did it for Red Wire Blue Wire! Well The Irish Times at least - please see link above.
    If one person thought of it, there's been a million others who've already done it.
    This is a very silly argument. Basically you're saying nothing can ever be new or original because a million other people have done it already - which means, if you follow your logic, the cavemen invented the iPod.
    Hmmmm.....

Plus you offer no evidence whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm with Jay on this one.

Idiotic statement there.

I'm pretty sure that nobody has ever done this with a short film in Ireland before.

Although I'm always open to correction. So Hollywood BC if you can tell us of any other Irish (or even international) short that has done this then I'm all ears.

On a side note - when's FilmmakersNetwork back up and running Jay?

• Advertisement

Look,you're just gonna have to get over the fact that you aren't the first ever person to think this up. That's obviously what it's all about.

I'm with Jay on this one.

Idiotic statement there.

I'm pretty sure that nobody has ever done this with a short film in Ireland before.

Although I'm always open to correction. So Hollywood BC if you can tell us of any other Irish (or even international) short that has done this then I'm all ears.

What are you,children? Its common sense that this has been done. Jesus, i can't believe your ignorance.
    Ha, you actually believe that this is the first time , ever, in the whole world, that anything like this has been done.
    If that's what you think, you're a joke.
    Oh and i wipe a monkey's ass with what you think.

Hey Hollywood BC maybe someone else did think of this but as far as we all know know one has actually done it in Ireland.

Maybe someone has done it somewhere in the world but we have no evidence to support that theory yet.

I would love to hear about any other instances of this approach to screening a short. If you or anyone else knows of films shown in this way please post them up. I'd love to see them!

Jeff,
    FilmmakersNetwork.ie now back online after a nightmare few days...

Hollywood BC banned for 2 weeks for personal abuse.

And bringing monkeys into it as well? sheesh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Sounds a good idea, I hope it goes well for you. Can I ask how much this costs to do? Is it something that is beyond the financial means of most short film productions?

And any reason why you went with that cinema? Were they the only ones offering the facility, etc?

Roughly €3000 for the 35mm transfer, dolby encoding and prints.
    Then €800 ex VAT for Savoy 1 for a week. Can choose nearly any cinema to show in - just depends on the advertising company - Carlton Screen do most of Ireland's cinemas. Savoy 1 is nice and big though...

More info here:
    http://www.filmmakersnetwork.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=755&postcount=18

Cheers, thanks for the info. Best of luck again!

€800 for a week isn't bad at all.

Perhaps when the cinemas go digital it will work out cheaper as you won't have that 35mm transfer cost.

Yea but roll out of digital seems very slow. And availability of digital films even slower. Think Wind that shakes the barley was the first widespread digital release in ireland.

Looked great on the big screen in Dundrum though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dont they use the digital projectors already for doing the adverts at the start anyway? I know my local does (but thats in cambridge)

• Advertisement

Nope. Carlton Screen Advertising, in Ireland anyway, is still all 35mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ouch. surprised at that. cause most cinemas in ireland have a digital projector (just no digital films) It would be cheaper for both parties to start the turnover soon.

Yeah you can tell on adverts that have been running for a good while as quality of the film starts to get really poor on them.

The Screen cinema could really benefit from going digital as they tend to show the same films for months. I went to see Garden State there about 3 months after it was released the quality of it was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭shotcaller

Fair play to you Jay. Hope it pays off. Don't know if i'll get to see it but I'll keep my ears and eyes peeled for it. Might even copy your idea someday! If I can afford the transfer cost.

Also, somebody said something about cavemen not inventing iPods. Thats obvious, they were happy with their Creative Zens!

Advertisement