Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uefa Cup draw

• 28-07-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭

Start (Nor) V Drogheda

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Start(Norway) v Drogheda United
    Gretna(Scotland) v Derry City
    Ventspils(Latvia) v Newcastle United
    Odense(Denmark) v Llanelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Derry V Gretna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Great chance for both Getna Div 1, Start are currently in 12th in Norway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Is it true that Derry and Drogheda's wins against HJK and IFK don't count towards Ireland's UEFA co-efficient?

I think I read somewhere that the UEFA Cup qualifying rounds don't count? It's a shame because they already have 3 wins and a draw between them, with surely at least another draw to come (probably a win against Gretna though)

The games against Gretna and Start are the second qualifying round. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

plazzTT wrote:
    Is it true that Derry and Drogheda's wins against HJK and IFK don't count towards Ireland's UEFA co-efficient?

I think I read somewhere that the UEFA Cup qualifying rounds don't count? It's a shame because they already have 3 wins and a draw between them, with surely at least another draw to come (probably a win against Gretna though)

The games against Gretna and Start are the second qualifying round. :(
    Qualifying rounds count half points towards Co-effiicent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

KevIRL wrote:
    Derry V Gretna
    I can see the headlines now...
    'Derry strike it luck with Glamour tie'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Don't underestimate Gretna. Very unlucky against Hearts in final and progressive. Howver, they are still in pre-season and have just been beaten 3-0 by a conference side. They do need to score away, the away goal is vital. Hope RTE/Sky show the match, its very interesting. Gretna would probably be Bohemians standard, so it could go either way.

Drogs have got a Norwegian side. Usually these sies are not great but when it comes to Europe they produce the goods. They will have a new coach and are certainly on the up plus they are not pre season so it is difficult also but like the Derry match it is overcomable.

Hopefully at least one of the teams will scrape through to the next round. Wonder will Derry be favourites?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Start have 15pts from 14games so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

plazzTT wrote:

No they don't count towards the club coefficiant , they do count for the country however(just points are halved for qualifying games)

'Hopefully at least one of the teams will scrape through to the next round. Wonder will Derry be favourites?'

I agree hopefully one team scrapes through.................but the other should get through easier . We can realisticly look at both teams going through because the opposition really isn't that great . I'd have Derry as favourites , but that's just me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

derry are definately favourites. gretna are 1st div in scotland for gods sake. i don't think they will be a pushover or anything, but i expect derry to score at least once away, and win comfortably at home.

lived in scotland for the last 5 months, and saw quite a bit of scottish football, including much of gretnas cup campaign. no great shakes. i think they are being overestimated - its the best draw derry could have gotten imo...

obviously no one knows much about start, but i would imagine drogheda have a fair chance. i don't think they will be better than helsinki....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Anyone here seen Derry play?

:rolleyes:

Would expect both El teams to go tru, nice draw for them.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Interestingly enough Dubliner Breandan McGill plays down the right wing for Gretna. Hes a decent player. His only mistake was to join a club managed by Roddy Chancer Collins when he joined Craisle and got relegated with them. Gretna fans seem to be extremely confident of going through. Match is played at Fir Park with 1000 Derry fans expected to travel.

Start finished 2nd in Norway last year so I would think their current standing may not be a fair reflection as the top few sides in Norway tend to be very good. Rosonborg were down near the foot of the table when they played Bohs I think and they thumped Bohs. An away goal is essential for the Drogs there.

10 co-efficient points required to get a bye into next round of Champions League so an average of +2pts per year required.

Advertisement