Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would you DO?

Options
  • 28-07-2006 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi:

It is nearly time to renew my insurance and I called my broker oonly to find out that they have unilaterally and without warning cancelled my insurance in DECEMBER, because they said, I hadn't paid for it.
    After some calls and a personal visit they "realised" they were wrong and reinstated my insurance yesterday.
    I can only imagine what would have happened in the event of an accident and I am very very dissapointed.
    What would you do? i have emailed the financial services ombudsman and they recomended filing a complaint. I would apreciate your views

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Strangely enough, this is actually a good thing for you. You haven't had to pay for insurance from December to July, and you haven't had an accident. You've profited to the tune of 7 months premiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

It think the op is saying that he was paying for it, but they had canceled his policy. Did you pay up front or per month? Are they giving the existing term or from date of reinstatment?

The_Magoo wrote:
    It think the op is saying that he was paying for it, but they had canceled his policy. Did you pay up front or per month? Are they giving the existing term or from date of reinstatment?

Well if he could prove that he had paid it then they would have had to pay out in the event of a claim, meaning that he was effectively still insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Think to OP needs to supply us with a bit more info!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If he paid for it and it was cancelled then for those 7 months in effect next year he should get 7 months off his insurance company for free because if anything happened it was their mess up!! IMO!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Years back, Hibernian once cancelled my insurance for non DD payment. Im not sure what the cause was as there was money in my a/c at the time (for once!).

Anyhow, IIRC they wrote a letter telling me on the 5th of the month giving me something like 10 days, sent it by registered post on the 8th(or possibly the 15th - can't remember), the postie tried to deliver it on the 18th (Friday) and I managed to collect it from the sorting office on the 21st or 22nd.

Anyhow I was driving for about a week without cover. No reasonable explanation from them.

My father also had a number of life policies with them and they would not take the money from his a/c. He had a meeting in Haddington rd with some disinterested idiot who wrote nothing down. Eventually he wrote to the CE who wrote back saying that matters would be sorted immediatley. A fortnight or so later he had to cancel all policies as they still had done nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

It's against the law for an insurance company to cancel your insurance without giving 7 days advance written notice.

jonny24ie wrote:
    If he paid for it and it was cancelled then for those 7 months in effect next year he should get 7 months off his insurance company for free because if anything happened it was their mess up!! IMO!!!

I'm not so sure about that. As I said earlier, if he could prove that he had paid his premium then they would have had to pay out in the event of a claim, meaning that he was effectively still insured even though they had cancelled his policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm not so sure about that. As I said earlier, if he could prove that he had paid his premium then they would have had to pay out in the event of a claim, meaning that he was effectively still insured even though they had cancelled his policy.

If they cancelled his policy they had no right to continue to collect payment. Common sense would suggest that he is at the very least entitled to a refund of any money he has paid them since December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

The_Magoo wrote:

I did pay for insurance up front for the full year.And actually when I went to my broker's with my bank statement (as i paid with a bank transfer) they inmediately reinstated my policy, in fact I have the same insurance disc, as they said it was valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

i'd be talking to a soliciter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

I m still between minds, shoudl i call them again and say, listen you were wrong , give me back my 7 months insurance? then i d loose my NCB and the premium would go up. right?

Advertisement