Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop and network drive

• 28-07-2006 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

I have a laptop which is used both in the office and at home. When I use in the office I have no problems what so ever, but when I go home/disconnect from the work network, my computer, dropdown menus, or opening folders goes slow and I may aswell go and make you all coffee when waiting to open a folder.

As soon as I disconnect the 3 network drives it runs normally, its as if windows is looking for these drives all the time, is there any way to get it not to look for the drives when no network is detected on bootup or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sorry I completely misread your post.

Depending on how your laptop finds these drives initially, through a logon.bat file or group policy. Im sure you could change the script so if a network connection isn't found it doesnt try and add the drives and/or disables/removes them.

You could probably even just add it in yourself.

Unfortunaly I can write any scripts so im not much good here, Ill have quick look on the net if I see anything Ill post back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've really only seen this problem occur when you have persistent mapped network connections and a valid IP address.

When you open My Computer (or anything which attempts to enumerate drives - such as the "Open File" dialog), the OS sees the active network connection and searches for those drives on the network. If there is no network, it shouldn't make any attempt to search. If it's on a different network it can take ages.

Are you on a network at home? If so, the easiest thing to do would be to boot up with the wireless off/network cable out, remove the network drives and then plug into the network.

Sticking a local profile on a machine is messy, introduces unnecessary security risks, and any decent domain admin wouldn't allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ask your admin to set your pc to unmap and disconnect all network drives at log - off.
    ask them to write you a script that asks to reconnect them all at log on.

that way, when your at home you press "N" and the drives arnt mapped so the pc runs fast.

Advertisement