Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01/02 Audi A4 or 00 BMW 320?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

those beemers are 2.0 150bhp not the 2.2 170bhp 01 + models.
    much slower than either of the audis

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

The cousin has a 01 A4 1.9TDi (red eye) which has been remapped, his figures are around the 168 bhp mark, either way it is one fast car and any more power would just have the whels constantly spinning.

I like the look of both cars but its the interior that sets them apart, for example the middle dash in the A4 faces straight out instead of been angled to the driver, this is one thing that would constantly annoy me.

For me it would be the rear wheel drive 320, in particular one with the factory fitted mtech kit.

If the Audi was rear wheel drive then i would have something to think about, actually no it would still probably be the 320.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

didnt realise there was a 2litre 320?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/review.aspx?model_id=96&page=8

cant see one on there?

i know theres a 320 diesel, but both cars i posted are 320i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I wasn't aware either of there being 320's that are 2L engines. I was aware that most of the 320i were 2.2L Straight 6's. And I thought the 318's ran a 2L or a 1.9L engine. That was my understanding. Perhaps that add on car zone mis-understood the engine size or the 320. If it is the 2.2L Straight 6 It would be a beautiful engine but nothing amazing. If it was my choice it'd have to be the BMW. I love that 320 engine.

Hj

im nearly sure its the 2.2 straight 6, my dad had a 320ci 4/5 yrs ago, nice car, nice poke from the engine aswell

The 320 as found in the E36 was a 2L 6 clyinder and it was carried over into the E46 but then changed in 01 for the newer 2.2L also badged 320.

any backup for this anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Some of the earlier 320Ds have 136BHP as standard, so won't have the performance you are looking for. The later ones have the 150BHP. Cyrus, I still think you would prefer the coupe model. As kdevitt said on another thread, it looks like the petrol E46 doesn't respond particularly well to a remap. Even the guy who does them says there is little BHP gain, but you may be able to iron out any flat spots.

By the way, don't worry about the body kit. You can get the genuine M-Tech kit sprayed and fitted for €1,600 or so.

Check out www.bmw-driver.net, the guys there know their stuff.

• Advertisement

My bad i saw you were looking at an A4 diesel or petrol, assumed you were looking at a 320 diesel or petrol aswell.

For the 2 litre petrol you will have to go for a 318, same car but BMW got into a weird phase where the numbers on the boot no longer conincided with whats under the hood.

Just out of interest, why such the big gap between engine sizes? and also fuel type.
    I mean 1.9 diesel/1.8 Audi compared to a 2.2 petrol 320..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Cyrus wrote:

Jesus thats serious good value on the Audi. Looks like I'm gonna get raped when I sell my 02 Tdi next year :eek:

for all the doubting thomas's

http://www.answers.com/topic/bmw-m52

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jaysis, Cyrus, will these posts ever stop :rolleyes: :p

What was wrong with the 330Ci I suggested in your previous post? Next best thing to an M3

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I know that the 520i had a 2.0 150bhp 6 cylinder up to the facelift in 2001 when it got the 2.2 170bhp 6 cylinder. So I presume that a 2000 320i would have the 2.0 6 cylinder.

If I was in the market for a car like that I'd probably go for a

Have you considered the IS200? You'd get more spec and a newer one for your money but it wouldn't be quite as fast as the 320i or the A4 1.8T.

Or what about a 2001 520i with the 2.2 6 cylinder engine? They look great with the M-Pack!!!

bucks wrote:
    My bad i saw you were looking at an A4 diesel or petrol, assumed you were looking at a 320 diesel or petrol aswell.

For the 2 litre petrol you will have to go for a 318, same car but BMW got into a weird phase where the numbers on the boot no longer conincided with whats under the hood.

Just out of interest, why such the big gap between engine sizes? and also fuel type.
    I mean 1.9 diesel/1.8 Audi compared to a 2.2 petrol 320..

I like the 1.9 VAD PD engines as you can get 180-200hp and a shed load of torque out em with a map and the 1.8t a4 is the best petrol a4 until the v6s, the 2,0 isnt great.

The 1.8/1.9/2.0 petrol beemers are sluggish 4cyl, the 2.2 is a lovely engine. all the cars ive listed are similar in performance and all insurable by me :) why dya reckon ive missed something??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cyborg is correct, a 1998 BMW 320i would have come out of the factory with a 2.0 straight 6 150bhp engine.

unkel wrote:
    Jaysis, Cyrus, will these posts ever stop :rolleyes: :p

What was wrong with the 330Ci I suggested in your previous post? Next best thing to an M3

nothing i love it but im 25 and computer says no for insurance, and pocket says no to tax :)

SGKM wrote:
    I know that the 520i had a 2.0 150bhp 6 cylinder up to the facelift in 2001 when it got the 2.2 170bhp 6 cylinder. So I presume that a 2000 320i would have the 2.0 6 cylinder.

If I was in the market for a car like that I'd probably go for a

Have you considered the IS200? You'd get more spec and a newer one for your money but it wouldn't be quite as fast as the 320i or the A4 1.8T.

Or what about a 2001 520i with the 2.2 6 cylinder engine? They look great with the M-Pack!!!

love the new is200 not the old one, and not too many clean sport 520s about for less than 20k :(

i still doubt that those 00 320is are 2.0ltr but i could be wrong

To respond to the OP's original question, it really depends what you want. A BMW 320i is in a completely different class from a 1.8T and especially a 1.9TDI Audi. Chassis apart, there simply is no substitute for a good 6 cylinder petrol engine. If you want to save money, buy the Audi. If you want to enjoy driving, buy the BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote:
    nothing i love it but im 25 and computer says no for insurance, and pocket says no to tax :)

What's the max cc you can get reasonable insurance cover for? That should give you the answer whether to go BMW or not...

Am I going mad or have a couple of posts just disappeared from this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Cyrus wrote:
    as my quest continues looking at cars, would appreciate peoples opinions on 130 bhp diesel or 165bhp petrol a4 (both would get a remap so youd be lookin at 180 bhp for diesel and 200 for petrol)

or a 00 2.2ltr bmw 320?

Example audi:
    snipped
    discuss :D

For that type of money, you could get a '99-00 Audi S4 and live my dream! :) 2.7L Bi-Turbo, 265BHP stock, Quaddro drive system. A far more expensive (only a few years ago) and exclusive car than any A4 or BMW 320i..

Matt

the dream costs too much to insure, lovely navy one for 18k too

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I've driven a few e46 3 series: 318i,320d,and 320Ci. The two 320s were quite impressive to drive,fast,smooth,refined and great handling. I wouldnt buy one because they are just far too small and cramped! I'd go for the 5 series if I was you. You could try importing a clean 520i from the uk.

unkel wrote:
    What's the max cc you can get reasonable insurance cover for? That should give you the answer whether to go BMW or not...
    2.2litre max

as for the size of the 3, theres only me and the missus so no worries with size

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cyrus wrote:
    I like the 1.9 VAD PD engines as you can get 180-200hp and a shed load of torque out em
    After spending a lot of money. You will just be down 3k on a set of new injectors if you trying getting that power from nought but a remap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Cyrus wrote:
    the dream costs too much to insure, lovely navy one for 18k too

Well, XS Direct, under €1000 per year (over 25, full license?), fully comp. Just dont crash, 4K excess.

Matt

maidhc wrote:
    After spending a lot of money. You will just be down 3k on a set of new injectors if you trying getting that power from nought but a remap.

i dont get you, are you saying you cant get that power from a remap?

i have seen it myself, you can, i know a guy who had a pd150 that churned out 172bhp on a rolling road stock and a mate had his pd130 remapped to 180bhp from a revo map rolling road verified.

My own 150bhp petrol golf gti is making 210 bhp

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote:
    Well, XS Direct, under €1000 per year (over 25, full license?), fully comp. Just dont crash, 4K excess.

Matt

im scared of that premium for some reason, am i silly?

Advertisement