Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my Pet Parrot in Midlands

Options
  • 28-07-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Last week my small parrot went missing miss him badly.

He went missing from Lissanisky, Clara, Co. Offaly which is close to Kilbeggan, Westmeath.

Please look at the link to see a photograph if your from Offaly/Westmeath.

www.flickr.com/photos/colmranger

He is Green , White and Gold. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Will keep in eye out if he flies over Rochfortbridge :D
    Though what i could do about it i do not know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Colmranger,
    Contact all local rescues, gardai, spca's and more importantly vets!!
    In all likelyhood he will tire from hunger and may (depending on how tame he is) try and come into a house.

Unfortunately he may have to battle crows and cats and such :(

Fingers crossed for you, hope you find the little guy soon.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

By the way he is very tame and would easily approach people.

Perhaps he was stolen????????:confused:

Surely he was in your house? (I assume you would know if somone had been in your house?) or was he in an outside aviary? Even then you would probably know if somone had been in or not?

What brings stolen into your head?

b

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Hope you get him back soon Colm, parrots are so lovable as pets. He's a Caique right? I'll keep an eye out, just hope the poor bird doesn't get mobbed by Crows or Magpies :(

• Advertisement

Yes he is a Black Headed Caique.

We had him 4 years and he spent all day every day free in the garden. He was well used to being free and he never left the garden. He was used to the Crows and Magpies etc.

The last time i saw him he was on our front gate. We live in the country but that particular evening a lot of people were passing by from football training as there is a soccer pitch behind us.

I would offer a decent reward to anyone who found him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I have crossposted that onto my board. I hope that is ok?

Ye no prob thanks, by yhe way your site is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If he was living free in your garden and saw it as his home he may not of gone away but could of easily been taken by a predator. Hope you do find him safe and sound.

I know this is not a helpful message.
    But I hope you will think better about having a parrot roam free in you garden after this.

He may have been fine with magpies & crows as you say, but they can carry disease and stress that you don't know about. And cats, you are not going to tell us "oh hes fine with cats" are you?
    No matter what you think of cages and aviarys, the reason he should be in an aviary in your garden is to prevent an accident such as this. Also, this particular breed should at least have a warm place to sleep.

I sympathise with your loss, but I do think responsible pet ownership is very important, specially with such a delicate animal.

b

• Advertisement

Just to clarify,

I live in isolation in the country there are no cats around or close to my home.

The parrot spent his nights and rest periods etc in his cage inside in my warm house.

He didn,t get close or interact with wild birds as he regarded himself as one of us so i don't see how he could contract a disease from other birds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Disease from wild birds to domestic is usually passed through droppings and not through direct contact, if you are rural a fox (they are out during the day also) could of taken him. cats, esp. toms have a large territory. Half a dozen things could of happened but lets hope it was something that will mean his safe return.

Advertisement