Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friendships

• 28-07-2006 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Dont really know how to start this but sure here goes......

When I was younger i had a lot of friends and as I get older obviously they fall off, that isnt to say I have no friends just a handful of best friends that I spend most of my time with and I love.

It seems to me that perhaps I value my friendships more than they are valued to others, that they are somewhat dispensible? I "had" this friend who I have know for about 11 years. there used to be three of us and I fell out with one girl (we'll call her mary) 3 years ago (mutual faults) but I remained friends with the other girl (we'll call her laura) until recently.
    Laura has a child and Mary has just recently fallen pregnant (keep in mind that Mary cannot even be civil to me).....I essentially just got cut off by Laura, no returning phone calls nothin! I have searched by memory for any event that could have caused this but to no avail!!
    I have a very good job, earn a decent amount and have a great apartment in town, and some commentators that I have asked have mentioned the possiblity maybe there might be a jealousy element. Laura (with child) is stuck in our home town and might not want to be around me until she is comfortable with where her life has been taken.....??
    I am not convinced.

Comment at your leisure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

its a very sad part of life, people grow appart.

your friends have other aspects of their lives, boyfriends husbands children etc and they have lost site of what they used to hold as important to some degree.

the jealousy aspect is also very possible, considering you are out and about earning and living while these ladies may feel as if they have settled at this stage. but that is of course just a wide assumption.

you can make new friends anywhere, and anytime. sit them down and talk to them about it if all else fails, explain how you feel and they might be able to see its upsetting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Kuz_3040

Friendships are easy to create and break but impossible to forget. More than likely ur "mary" who has fallen pregnant now has more in common wit ur friend "laura" as she has been der n done that therefore because they are closer friends than before "laura" probably thinks that "mary" was in the right when the two of you stopped talkin after hearin "mary's" own version and because they are closer she is more likely to be against you. However she may feel that it is difficult to speak to you because you are in the fast lane and she is stuck in rut along wit "mary".

People only ever have 5 people throughout their life who they can call true friends people we meet and have relationships with either make you better or destroy you there nothing in between

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭embraer170

People only ever have 5 people throughout their life who they can call true friends people

Explain that a little more, I'd be interested....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

More details would be useful. Who, what, were, when, why said, etc. I would suspect that pregnancy and children place demands on friendships, especially when the children are young and dependent? And the girl pregnant may be having a rough go with extraordinary morning sickness, who knows?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Kuz_3040 wrote:
    People only ever have 5 people throughout their life who they can call true friends

I'd agree with this - I've plenty of people i'd consider friends but only a handful whom I'd expect to still be in touch with in years to come. In the mean time I've had very close friends but due to me moving around a lot I've lost touch with many and slowy its only 3 or 4 home grown life long friends that seem to stick around. One of them is my cousin so I'd expect that to last obviously but otherwise I've made and lost a ton of friends with only a few staying on til the end of the party - I've accepted this as a part of life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement