Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slendertone Active

• 28-07-2006 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

I am thinking about getting one, and want to know if anyone has one, tried it, results, etc.
    Before you start ranting, I have read the similar threads. I realise must of them dished it, saying it couldn’t help lose fat, etc.
    But the slendertone active is the new one. It is to be used while exercising. I go to the gym three times a week, and I love exercising. I also eat healthy. I have been going to the gym for over a year, and I have lost weight everywhere. The only stubborn area I have is my stomach. I still have a layer of fat there that I can’t shift. People always think I’m pregnant, because I am really slim everywhere else, but have a bit of a stomach. Anyway, long story short, I am 5ft 11 inches, and about 10.5 stone, which is healthy for my height.
    This new slendertone gets you to exercise in your fat burning zone, while contracting your stomach muscles. I have done some research, and it seems that slendertone does tone your muscles, but if you have a layer of fat on top it is useless, as you won’t see it.

My question is will this new one work, as you are exercising in your fat burning zone, and also contracting stomach muscles.

(For the record, I am not looking for an easy way out; I am looking for something that will work. I have tried a wide range of exercises(ab roller, sit ups, that ball thing...), and nothing else seems to work).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭topdog8

to be honest i have used this befor and granted u can feel ur muscle contracting but never felt it done my abs justice.. ur best way of loosing fat around that area and im sure u have heard befor.. DIET CARDIO.. and throw in lots of lower ab crunchs. if you do t prop u could have lean abs in 6 weeks easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Exercising in your fat burning zone is good. Diet is absolutely critical.

As for the slendertone device, if your stomach is weak and you haven't got a firm stomach underneath the fat (just poke with your finger) then it might help to work the abdominal muscles a little. If you don't have that problem (and if you're used to doing alot of ab roller work, sit-ups and swiss ball work I would be surprised if you do) then I can't see how it would help much.

It might help to post up your diet. There's a difference between eating healthy and eating to lose bodyfat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭bragan

I haven't heard of Diet Cardio. What is that.

For breakfast i have a bowl of bran flakes with skimmed milk, a glass of orange juice.

Lunch would usually be a ham or chicken sandwich on brown bread, maybe with a small bit of coleslaw. Other days ill have a salad.Or a wrap with chicken, tomateo coleslaw.

Dinner is usually potateo, with veg and a meat. Maybe a pork chop(grilled), or some chicken, roast beef etc.
    I sometimes have veg/chicken/pork stir fry with brown rice/ noodles.

Snacks would be fruit, low fat yogurt, cereal bar, or crackers.

So, any advice on the diet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

bragan wrote:
    For breakfast i have a bowl of bran flakes with skimmed milk, a glass of orange juice.

Lunch would usually be a ham or chicken sandwich on brown bread, maybe with a small bit of coleslaw. Other days ill have a salad.Or a wrap with chicken, tomateo coleslaw.

Dinner is usually potateo, with veg and a meat. Maybe a pork chop(grilled), or some chicken, roast beef etc.
    I sometimes have veg/chicken/pork stir fry with brown rice/ noodles.

Snacks would be fruit, low fat yogurt, cereal bar, or crackers.

So, any advice on the diet?
    Firstly, watch the snacks - many of them have alot more calories than you might imagine.

Secondly, cereal bars contain alot of sugar, as do many of the low fat yogurts. For most people looking to lose fat, sugar is not their friend. Fruit isn't so bad as many fruits are high in fibre (though they obviously contain calories so don't feel like you can just go nuts with them).

Thirdly, unless you exercise intensely in the evenings, watch the portions at dinner time. A common mistake people make is eating alot in the evenings, especially potatoes, pasta and other carbohydrate (energy) foods. If you're doing nothing in the evening you're not going to use that energy and will thus store it as fat. If you're having many snacks in the evening I would suggest that you get out of that habit too.

Beyond that, I think it is an excellent idea to keep a food log for a couple of weeks. This will show you exactly how many calories you're taking in each day & maybe open your eyes to specific things in your diet that are causing problems. It also allows you to control what you're eating. If you are not losing weight then you simply drop the calories until you do. Do not go below 10 - 11 kcals per lb of bodyweight per day though (1,617 kcals/day for you now) as you will start to lose muscle which will slow your metabolism.

There's alot of good info in the diet stickies in this forum about planning your diet in general that are worth reading. Also, many people find it handy to use www.fitday.com to track their diet rather than using the nutritional labels on their food packets and a scales to calculate calories. Personally I favour the second method but that's just me.

Also, if you're only doing cardio in the gym you should ask an instructor about starting a resistance (weights) programme. This should allow you to maintain your muscle-mass (or get it back up to a good level if you have already dieted it away or never had it in the first place - surprisingly common) which will stop your metabolism from shutting down as your diet progresses. All cardio and no weights rarely results in a slim, toned body.

That's about all I can think of right now. If any of this calories/metabolism talk is confusing you, hopefully the stickies will clear it up. If not just hang around the forum a bit, search for threads on weight loss & toning up and ask questions if you still have 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

bragan wrote:
    I am thinking about getting one, and want to know if anyone has one, tried it, results, etc.
    Before you start ranting, I have read the similar threads. I realise must of them dished it, saying it couldn’t help lose fat, etc.
    But the slendertone active is the new one. It is to be used while exercising. I go to the gym three times a week, and I love exercising. I also eat healthy. I have been going to the gym for over a year, and I have lost weight everywhere. The only stubborn area I have is my stomach. I still have a layer of fat there that I can’t shift. People always think I’m pregnant, because I am really slim everywhere else, but have a bit of a stomach. Anyway, long story short, I am 5ft 11 inches, and about 10.5 stone, which is healthy for my height.
    This new slendertone gets you to exercise in your fat burning zone, while contracting your stomach muscles. I have done some research, and it seems that slendertone does tone your muscles, but if you have a layer of fat on top it is useless, as you won’t see it.

My question is will this new one work, as you are exercising in your fat burning zone, and also contracting stomach muscles.

(For the record, I am not looking for an easy way out; I am looking for something that will work. I have tried a wide range of exercises(ab roller, sit ups, that ball thing...), and nothing else seems to work).
    You'd get better results with a hand shake buzzer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

yes these mickey mouse type ems are really useless so do not waste your money...
    these people selling these thrive on our busy lifestyles, no
    effort approach but as we all know it doesn't work like this

usual story of good diet and plenty of exercise...

best of luck

Advertisement